The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:48:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350729 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Appetite For Destruction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Appetite For Destruction  (Read 4930 times)
ESH

« on: December 16, 2006, 18:52:16 pm »

A couple of years back I was playing around with the car ‘demonstrating’ it to a friend from Japan, since he only gets over here once a year so I was keen to ensure he should experience the car properly. I first met up with him that year in a huge car park at a show ground but it was two days before the show and the place was still pretty much abandoned. The car park’s pretty long and at the time had just been redone with a tarmac surface. I took the car up to one end of the site and then turned it around and let rip down one of the through roads, it certainly hooked up and the last time I looked at the speedo it reckoned we were just about heading into the 70’s so we weren’t exactly parked. Unfortunately I hadn’t accounted for the camber of one of the roads we were about to cross and given the speed the options were limited. Scrub some speed off and risk burying the valance into the new tarmac or just keep it planted and see what happens. What happened was we took off and traveled quite a long way before coming back down to earth with a pretty hefty bang. My friend was a little surprised, he wasn't due to be flying again for another six days and a camera crew that had previously been shooting an interview with some ‘buffer’ not 100 yards away, (the only other people in the vicinity) had all stopped what they were doing and were looking our way in astonishment. On first inspection the damage was pretty limited with the sump plate being flattened but no leaks so all was good.

It wasn’t until a couple of days later that I realised there was maybe a bigger problem as I attempted to get the oil out. The sump plate was pressed into the sump and a bit of a bitch to get off. I knew there was a problem after I attempted to loosen it by tapping it gently with a hammer and finding that it tapped back. When it did finally come off the oil pick up extension dropped with the oil, it was previously welded on. There was a little metal in the oil and the pick up assembly tab that holds it down had broken but the rotation of the motor was OK as was the lift and all over vital signs so we just stuck a new sump on, secured the assembly back down and bunged the extension back on, filled it with oil and that was that. When the motor came apart recently we found that the assembly had met with the cam and they’d had a bit of an argument. Cam was pretty much fine.

I like the fact that a good motor (and car) can take a pounding. Anyone else done dumb stuff or got some favorite damage? Let's face it life isn't about parking and s**t happens.

Grin
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 19:31:15 pm »

Last July we went to an aircooled meeting with our club, DVF, it was a nice drive of around 100km...
All went well and we had a nice meeting.  When it was time to get back home 2 of us decided to stop at a local swapmeet.  Not with car parts but with all kinds of junk.  Our girlfriends were let loose and they bought lots of it (junk) including a box of about 100 belts.

On the way back on the highway my car suddenly started acting strange, a few seconds later there was this massive grinding noise and I realised we had lost a wheel... I managed to get the car grinding to a stop at the side of the highway.  I got out of the car and started running on the highway to get my wheel which was stiil going strong in the middle of the road.
Upon closer investigation I saw that I not only lost the wheel but the whole brake drum with it.  We decided to try and get everything back together wich  actually worked!  All the sudden all those belts came in handy, so I destroyed one off the lesser nice looking belts and used it's pin as a retaining pin.  The one I should have put in the first time Embarrassed

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 21:17:47 pm »

We our just hot rodding around and just going fast,,, and not payng much attention. We were going up Orange-Olive Rd. between Lincoln Ave. and Santa Ana Canyon Rd. Going at a pretty good clip... much faster than I should have been. Anyway, there was a fairly nasty set of railroad tracks that I hit. Bottomed out on the sump and the sump plate caught caught on one of the rails. It folded like a taco, ripping several of the studs out of the sump and dumping all my oil on the pavement.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 18:02:13 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ESH

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 20:16:08 pm »

I got out of the car and started running on the highway to get my wheel which was stiil going strong in the middle of the road.

Shocked

Ouch! I've seen your car a few times, pleased to see you got out of that relatively entact.  Smiley

...Going at a pretty good clip... much faster than I should have been...

I've heard a few stories starting like that!  Grin
Otto/DFL

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 17:36:28 pm »

Hi!

This is my Flywheel after shifting from second into thrid gear at Rotenburg Race Days this year! After that the engine run with rough idle, and then i try to start it, but it doesn´t work!?! Smiley

51 Beetle
69 Cal-Look Beetle
69 Karmann GF Buggy
76 Baywindow
http://www.dfl-vwclub.de
The Ideaman

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 18:09:04 pm »

I hope that wasn't one of the cast flywheels.  On my father in law's fishponds, they use a flat 4 vw motor for a water pump to fill the holding ponds with seawater.  He showed me something similar to that from a new 1600 which let go of the flywheel when they turned on the pump and it "waterhammered".  We sent him a German flywheel, so it won't happen again.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 18:56:26 pm »

I hope that wasn't one of the cast flywheels.  On my father in law's fishponds, they use a flat 4 vw motor for a water pump to fill the holding ponds with seawater.  He showed me something similar to that from a new 1600 which let go of the flywheel when they turned on the pump and it "waterhammered".  We sent him a German flywheel, so it won't happen again.

Does not look like a Real German Flywheel to me.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Otto/DFL

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 21:38:25 pm »

No, it wasn´t a forged Flywheel, but i´m more clever now.....

51 Beetle
69 Cal-Look Beetle
69 Karmann GF Buggy
76 Baywindow
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 22:34:58 pm »

Impressive pictures Otto!!  Shocked
Rough idle  Smiley Did you still manage to drive it?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Otto/DFL

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 09:07:44 am »

No, we hat to push it back to the Pit!  Angry

But it was a 19,4sec on 1/4mile Grin

51 Beetle
69 Cal-Look Beetle
69 Karmann GF Buggy
76 Baywindow
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 09:23:55 am »

Ups a brain art on my side here.... hard to drive without a gripping clutch I imagine

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: