The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:02:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Late Models...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 88 Print
Author Topic: Late Models...  (Read 1032138 times)
Georg/DFL

« Reply #420 on: January 07, 2009, 16:01:39 pm »

Here is another one, a 69 from our club member Otto.

It's a unrestored second owner car and runs now a 2332 cc type 1 with 46 (!) IDAs. I still want to convince Otto to paint the headlight rings and taking the chrom off.  Cool
Wheels are 14" Ronals his father used to have on a Karmann GF buggy in the 70s.

I dont' believe that the car has it's original paint. It appears to have a later decklid [70+] on it as well as Mexican weatherstripping under it. Real nice car though. As soon as the sun comes out, I'll add a few pics of my Toga White '69 to this thread.

-jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

the car has its og paint from the roof to the trim, beneath it is new pastell white. Decklid is a convertible lid for more cooling air. And btw, I didn't say og paint, just unrestored.  Wink
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
nicolas

« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2009, 16:57:17 pm »

I love the 14"/15" combo with Empi 8 especially in GOLD  Grin Grin Grin

OK this getting spooky... i didn't know my dad met your mom some 31 years ago.  Roll Eyes

Grin

BTW chrome 8 spokes are a no-no, polished yes, chrome no
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2009, 18:56:34 pm »

" polished yes, chrome no"

Dma right  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2009, 19:18:43 pm »

Sorry, but late Ghia's with their big bumpers and HUGE tail lights are ugly as sin. Like a pretty girl wearing a moo-moo Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2009, 19:40:00 pm »

I remember those Ronal wheels.  I was a sales rep for Ronal USA for two years.  My job was to sell those wheels.  Truth is they were'nt big movers.  The number one wheel at the time was the R9.  Ronal is a German company so I figure they were easier to get those VW bolt pattern wheels over there.  The job really sucked.  I was on the phone all day selling wheels to custom shops, most of which could never pay their bills on time.... ha

I took this job right after I worked for a VW engine importer/rebuilder called ECI in Garden Grove.  We used to advertise a ton in Hot VW's.  We competed against ol' Bernie Bergman, GEX, and the rest.  I remember we would get in full containers of tranny's and engines that were torch cut out of old bugs in Germany.  We would then either rebuild the motors or sell the complete engines as "good used".  We used to sell a complete running 1600 dp with a doghouse cooler for $329.  Wow. 
After I left I heard they had to condemn the building and back lot due to all the oil contamination in the ground.  Times have changed, times have changed.

Worm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 19:42:42 pm by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Worm
DKK

« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2009, 19:47:00 pm »

Okay....... I could'nt resist.  The WORST wheel Ronal ever made was the Ronal Teddy Bear.  I actually ran these on an Integra I had for a week just for laughs.  These were by far the lamest wheels ever.  Sorry if I spoiled the thread.......  Like I said, I could'nt resist.

Worm

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2009, 19:51:38 pm »

I have a set of Ronal Aristos on my '99 New Beetle. Nice wheels.

ECI, that sounds familiar. Anyone remember Pacific Core in Santa Ana? I built their retail operation there. They specialized in VW engine cores. They would by train car loads of motors from Mexico. Pull anything rebuildable off, and scrap the rest. Cases, heads, cams, oil pumps etc. The owner also bought out overstock and inventories from closing dealers. I helped organize all the stuff and sell it. I had alot of fun there but after a couple years I had a falling out with the cocaine dealing sales manager. I lost.

-jeffrey

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2009, 20:53:48 pm »

I remember those Ronal wheels.  I was a sales rep for Ronal USA for two years.  My job was to sell those wheels.  Truth is they were'nt big movers.  The number one wheel at the time was the R9.  Ronal is a German company so I figure they were easier to get those VW bolt pattern wheels over there.  The job really sucked.  I was on the phone all day selling wheels to custom shops, most of which could never pay their bills on time.... ha

I took this job right after I worked for a VW engine importer/rebuilder called ECI in Garden Grove.  We used to advertise a ton in Hot VW's.  We competed against ol' Bernie Bergman, GEX, and the rest.  I remember we would get in full containers of tranny's and engines that were torch cut out of old bugs in Germany.  We would then either rebuild the motors or sell the complete engines as "good used".  We used to sell a complete running 1600 dp with a doghouse cooler for $329.  Wow. 
After I left I heard they had to condemn the building and back lot due to all the oil contamination in the ground.  Times have changed, times have changed.

Worm

ECI... Did you know Dean (engine builder), Dennis (tear down guy) and Eddie (transmission builder)?

~DR.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #428 on: January 07, 2009, 21:28:09 pm »

It is from the now defunct swiss Cal Look club GEZUVOR. Car is a 72, got 356 seats, og Gasburner and a 2 liter type 4 plus FI and turbo. Close to your dreams?  Cheesy

I don't typically like 4-lug Volkswagens, but I have absolutely loved that Ghia since I first saw it in Marc's site, even with the late model tail-lights size of a "french bread" Cheesy  Maybe it is the exception that enforces the rule  Wink

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #429 on: January 08, 2009, 08:07:24 am »

Georg/DFL, that silver Ghia looks GREAT!

Worm, sadly... I remember those teddy bear (barf!) wheels. Thanks... now I'm gonna have nightmares, tonight. What a pal.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #430 on: January 08, 2009, 09:04:36 am »

yeah it's a killer ghia..

Glitter don't make you faster.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #431 on: January 08, 2009, 09:23:15 am »

Okay....... I could'nt resist.  The WORST wheel Ronal ever made was the Ronal Teddy Bear.  I actually ran these on an Integra I had for a week just for laughs.  These were by far the lamest wheels ever.  Sorry if I spoiled the thread.......  Like I said, I could'nt resist.

Worm

worm !worm !worm !................................................ Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #432 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:58 am »

We should add Vaughn's car to this thread.  12 second streeter in 1981
Good call!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Sarge

« Reply #433 on: January 08, 2009, 14:06:39 pm »

Worm

worm !worm !worm !................................................ Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Roll Eyes Try to calm yourself......sheeeeeeesh  Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #434 on: January 08, 2009, 17:58:37 pm »

hi at all. i´m new in the forum and i´ll post my car.

WOW!!!! Very cool car! LOVE it  Cool Cool
Worm
DKK

« Reply #435 on: January 08, 2009, 18:30:20 pm »

Worm

ECI... Did you know Dean (engine builder), Dennis (tear down guy) and Eddie (transmission builder)?

~DR.

Did I KNOW those guys??  Dennis with his giant beard and bad ass primered bus, Eddie Spaghetti that was practically at Joe Josts every day.  Dean and his afternoon grapefruit squeezes....  Those three guys drank SO much beer it was amazing.  We all worked at ECI for Tom and Franz Hellwig.  It was some fun and definately crazy times.  Now THOSE cats, especially Dean could slap some case halves together.
Worm
How do you know these guys Dave.  I have'nt thought about any of them in years.  I was one of two sales guys in the office.  Me and Jim, and later Bob

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2009, 05:35:07 am »

Did I KNOW those guys??  Dennis with his giant beard and bad ass primered bus, Eddie Spaghetti that was practically at Joe Josts every day.  Dean and his afternoon grapefruit squeezes....  Those three guys drank SO much beer it was amazing.  We all worked at ECI for Tom and Franz Hellwig.  It was some fun and definately crazy times.  Now THOSE cats, especially Dean could slap some case halves together.
Worm
How do you know these guys Dave.  I have'nt thought about any of them in years.  I was one of two sales guys in the office.  Me and Jim, and later Bob
[/quote]

Sorry to hi-jack the thread a little... I really do like late models Grin

I knew those guys well... even had a few "meetings" at Joe Josts with them... I met those guys around 1984 or so through a mutual friend / customer of mine, Kent Campbell (International Lock and Key) back when I was a Snap on Tools dealer. I ended up opening my VW shop right next door to Kent's shop, those guys used to frequent Kent's since he usually had a tapper of beer going ~and~ we were only half a mile from Joe Jost's. I rarely delt direct with ECI... once or twice maybe but I did buy several core engines through the guys.
Dean is married now (I haven't seen him in years), Dennis is EXACTLY the way as you remember him, he still has that SAME VW bus, and Eddie is one of my best friends to this day... Eddie is an unsung hero in the VW world... that guy really knows gearboxes.

I could go on for hours with stories about those guys, but I'll leave you with one. Dennis (Hairface) stopped by my shop one winter evening we were working late. It was cold, and Dennis decided to prodice some sort of clear, homemade, alcolohic beverage that was literally the nastiest stuff I've ever drank! I had a shot or two, but needed to get home to the kids... My brother wanted to hang with Dennis a while... Big mistake! When I came back to work the next morning, both of those guys got so ripped on that crap they ended up sleeping in the shop!! Good times!!
(Those really were good times... I should have slowed down and enjoyed 'em a little more Wink)

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2009, 05:56:23 am »

HAHA!! Dave, sounds like you guys were either drinking mead or moonshine.

Here's a shot that I took back in the early '80s at one of our many D.K.K. club outings. Worm, Schwimmer, Gaskey... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this car was Ernie Baron's, yes? Don't recognize the Squareback on the right, but the car on the left looks very much like Rick Meredith's Notchback.

~Sarge
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2009, 11:45:05 am »

Ernie Baron's car was sepia brown and had a front hood handle, so is it the same car?

Glitter don't make you faster.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #439 on: January 09, 2009, 14:59:15 pm »

Ernie Baron's car was sepia brown and had a front hood handle, so is it the same car?

You're correct on the color. So I'm guessing that this red car is someone else's. Wish that I could remember.

~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #440 on: January 09, 2009, 15:13:32 pm »

Ernie's car was bought by a club member[his name escapes me] then later sold to my next door neighbor. I'm not sure what happened to it after that.

Funny thing that same neighbor also owned Mark Ramirez's black '67 at one time. The guy's name was Gene Gustavson, he wasn't really in the scene, he just liked alot of the cars coming by my house.

-jeffrey

LuftsickTero

« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2009, 21:16:25 pm »

LuftsickTero

« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2009, 21:21:23 pm »

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2009, 05:41:59 am »

I like this car above.  Grin

VW Classic 2012
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2009, 14:15:10 pm »

Sweet!

-jeffrey

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2009, 20:31:48 pm »

It's funny, I just bought a set of repo-Gas Burners. Don't know if his are real but either way thats a nice car.

VW Classic 2012
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2009, 20:41:02 pm »

found this one  running at ocir  Shocked Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2009, 22:01:11 pm »

The first set of aftermarket wheels I put on my car were Ronal from the 70's.
unfortunately, I didn't restore them correctly and they look now quite ugly  Undecided

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:27:30 am by j-f » Logged
vwcab

peter

« Reply #448 on: January 17, 2009, 20:34:31 pm »

It's funny, I just bought a set of repo-Gas Burners. Don't know if his are real but either way thats a nice car.
These "gasburners" are also repro's.
The car was featured in the german "vw-speed" magazine last year.

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #449 on: January 17, 2009, 21:53:56 pm »

Still looks very nice, you know what size front tire he's using? Just like the way it looks.

VW Classic 2012
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 88 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: