The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:07:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  plug change time OUCH!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: plug change time OUCH!!  (Read 4621 times)
67worshipper

« on: October 02, 2008, 19:07:32 pm »

times come too change the plugs on jade.now i work on cars all day long so changing plugs aint a problem but where they are behind ida,s n all theyre abit of a pain Shocked ive decided to remove inlets,carbs pipework and throttle linkage to do this.what i was interested to know was if any of you have access panels in the wheelarches to make this easier.hookys a panel company over here do hi pacs which are like bolt in covers designed for this job.what do you lot do for this task?

vw hot rod heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 19:17:13 pm »

i've some panel in the wheelsarches , same with the speedwell manifold and the stromberg carbs , with the panel is easier to acces to the 1 & 3 plugs  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 19:19:59 pm »

I put in some windows so I could change plugs in my car.  Although I don't have IDAs it is still a pain with my 42 DCNFs.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 19:32:05 pm »

I had windows cut in my '63 because all the intake manifolds were short back then making plug changing a total bitch.  The holes also came in handy for jet changes on the Solex 40P11's. 

DKP III
dirk zeyen

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 19:56:01 pm »

i use plugs with 16mm wrench-size makes changing plugs a little more easy, if you don't like to cut holes in your car Grin

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
67worshipper

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 20:02:46 pm »

what plugs you using dirk?

vw hot rod heaven
lawrence

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 20:02:56 pm »

I have not had problems changing the front(of engine) plugs in a oval window engine compartment with IDAs and tall manifolds, although it is not a fun job. It is just a matter of finding a good combination of ratchet and extension. It seems like a lot more work to remove the carbs and linkage everytime the plugs needed to be checked.

Is it necessary to jack the car up or remove the tires to access the windows? This also seems like more work than is needed.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 20:36:28 pm »

When I ran DRLAs and IDFs I had windows. DRLAs to get to mixture screws and bypass screws, IDF's to get to the (daily) plugging idle jets.
When I ran SF heads with 48IDAs and 36hp-copy shroud, changing plugs was a breeze, even on #1 & #3. I used a magnetic Snap On plug socket and swivel 3/8" ratchet or a 19mm open end wrench on 1 & 3
Nowadays, my plugs are impossible to get out of 1 & 3 without taking carbs off first. I usually take carbs off and leave intake manifolds on, that give me enough room. While the carbs are off I clean them, and grease accelerator ramp and roller.
Typically plug change is part of a "full service" on my car.... oil change, filter change, check torque on lower 4 head studs (per side), check pushrods, valve adjust, plugs, clean carbs, check manifold-to-head nuts, flash timing. Then adjust brakes/handbrake, check tires out, add waher fluid, clean wiper blades, check lights, check trans oil. Long day....

dirk zeyen

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 20:50:46 pm »

hello,

my original plugs are WR 7 DC ( 14mm long reach) the same plug with 16 mm wrench-size is a FR 7 DC. this are bosch plugs.
you can tell me what plug are you using and i will let you know what is the same plug with 16 mm wrench-size on monday.

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
67worshipper

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 20:51:51 pm »

i agree with you lawrence.the front plugs arent a problem to change.the problem is 1 and 3 at the rear.the hi pac panels do require removal of the rear wheels to access.

vw hot rod heaven
67worshipper

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 21:13:29 pm »

dirk when i took one plug out earlier i think it was WR 7 CC which is a standard 14mm thread size.the 16mm wrench size would make things easier

vw hot rod heaven
dth

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 21:14:23 pm »

Barry ,before i got rid of my tinware i used to use a plug socket with with the provision to use a spanner on the end instead of ratchet ,was never a problem .although i suppose it depends on what manifolds are fitted
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 22:22:15 pm by dth » Logged
dirk zeyen

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 21:30:07 pm »

hello,

tomorow is no working day here in germany,  so check your plug-code just to be on the save side and tell me, and on monday i will call the bosch-suport here in germany. i have a good boy working there.

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 21:54:00 pm »

I've still got my original turned down plug socket from the old days.  It's a Craftsman (Sears) piece that is hexed inside the full length of the socket with about 15mm trimed off the big end.  I used a bench grinder on the other (wrench) end to taper the top of the socket.  A must have for short manifolds and a big help with the tall ones.

DKP III
67worshipper

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 23:37:04 pm »

Barry ,before i got rid of my tinware i used to use a plug socket with with the provision to use a spanner on the end instead of ratchet ,was never a problem .although i suppose it depends on what manifolds are fitted
i,ll have a go at that don.theyre tall manifolds btw

vw hot rod heaven
67worshipper

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 19:18:14 pm »

ive managed to remove my plugs today.took me an hour with the biggest chunk of time to numbers 1 and 3.i think jim was right with the flexible head type of ratchet which i will invest in shortly.on the talk of plugs what are people using? are people sticking to bosch or is it ngk nowadays? im fitting plugs everyday and mostly ngks. ive got bosch WR 7 CC which are a touch on the black side so some tuning to do there i think Wink

vw hot rod heaven
dirk zeyen

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 20:19:06 pm »

there is no need for windows, to turn the mixture screws of drla carbs, you need a special tool like this, not very nice but it works... Grin Shocked Grin

back again!!!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 21:06:48 pm »

When I ran DRLAs and IDFs I had windows. DRLAs to get to mixture screws and bypass screws, IDF's to get to the (daily) plugging idle jets.

As being not familiar with IDFs what's this daily plugging idle jets?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: