The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:39:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350707 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  Have you seen this add on Samba?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you seen this add on Samba?  (Read 3734 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: April 27, 2008, 02:36:56 am »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=601116  even at $3995.00 a set there still repops?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:30:06 am »

Nice to see someone's doing that , not that i need a set myself , but if this was to happen more often with other wheels like the Speedwell BRM would it have the affect of debasing the original wheels .
I can't see that people who own an original set of these wheels would be to happy , sure a short run of these wheels would be OK but if they started to pop up all over the place  Shocked

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 19:00:24 pm »

Nice to see someone's doing that , not that i need a set myself , but if this was to happen more often with other wheels like the Speedwell BRM would it have the affect of debasing the original wheels .
I can't see that people who own an original set of these wheels would be to happy , sure a short run of these wheels would be OK but if they started to pop up all over the place  Shocked

But Why Repop Them Java already dose and they are nice quality, not in Mag, but A Repop is a Repop, even if they were BRM's Repoped in Mag there still Repops

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
qubek

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 19:53:45 pm »

But Why Repop Them Java already dose and they are nice quality, not in Mag, but A Repop is a Repop, even if they were BRM's Repoped in Mag there still Repops
and....?
The reason why BRM copies are inferior to originals is because they are heavier.
If they started to make BRM's exactly the same way as they did originally, would you still say that they are inferior? Only because they were not made "back in the day"? Well - it would just mean that they are not 40 years old, with all the (positive) consequences of this fact.

Of course, people keeping original BRM's as an investment wouldn't be happy, because the value of their wheels would drop. But i thought that this is cal-look forum. I'm sure that there are a lot of forums where people seeking for a good way to invest their money can discuss their problems Wink

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 20:28:12 pm »

I'd rather be doing 120mph+ in the quarter on new mag wheels than some original crumbly mags, the benefit of the original weight and looks Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 21:18:47 pm »

I'd rather be doing 120mph+ in the quarter on new mag wheels than some original crumbly mags, the benefit of the original weight and looks Grin
[hijack]Ben, check your PMs... [/hijack]

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 17:27:29 pm »

So you are saying that you wouldnt be interested in a brand new MAG wheel that DOESNT need tubes and has all the benifits of modern casting technology and machining??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 18:58:48 pm »

So you are saying that you wouldnt be interested in a brand new MAG wheel that DOESNT need tubes and has all the benifits of modern casting technology and machining??
Even if you bought a set and paid $3995.00 for a set, guys with the real Deal will just say those are those new Repops just like they do with Flat 4's and MSW's  Flat 4 and Jave both make a Quality Wheels at a Good Price and they are a lot cheaper then $4000.00 for Repops

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
qubek

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:20:36 am »

Even if you bought a set and paid $3995.00 for a set, guys with the real Deal will just say those are those new Repops just like they do with Flat 4's and MSW's  Flat 4 and Jave both make a Quality Wheels at a Good Price and they are a lot cheaper then $4000.00 for Repops

Man, you say that there is no point in buying better wheels because "guys would say those are repops", so it's better to buy cheaper repops because then guys would say the same thing for a smaller price? I have to admit that there is a logic behind that, but.... Wink

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 17:52:47 pm »

All the benifits of the new, all the benifits of the old, half the price. What's not to love?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:16 am »

the more you new about mag the more you would want new repop's if they were perfect copies. mag corrodes from the inside out basiclly . oxygen really deterates mag. I worked for dan gurney some years back and he had some mid-70's NOS mag wheel 's for that era eagle indy car's, I mean ton's of wheel's that restoration race car guy's would kill for! but Dan sent a few guy's out back to hammer and break-up the wheel's for scrap. just be careful with old mag wheel's. just my 4n1/2 cent's

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: