The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 14:05:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350767 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Piston cylinders hone tool and valve seat cutters !!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Piston cylinders hone tool and valve seat cutters !!!!  (Read 3548 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: March 02, 2011, 20:39:19 pm »

I need some feed back from those of you that are doing your own engine rebuilding and machining which is the best or second best cylinder hone tool to use is the beads type OK or the stones blades. Also which valve seat cutters are you using i.e stone or cutters.

Thanks !!!
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
karl h

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:23 am »

i use neway cutters, real easy to use by hand

Joel Mohr

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 17:01:44 pm »

Bead type hones are nick-named "bottle hones" because that's what your cylinders will measure like when you are done....DON"T USE ONE! The 3 stone  spring-loaded ones work good enough to take out minor scratches, but if you can, have them power honed....I use a NEW WAY seat cutter, it's a bitch on the wrist, but works great!

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 18:56:44 pm »

Bead type hones are nick-named "bottle hones" because that's what your cylinders will measure like when you are done....DON"T USE ONE! The 3 stone  spring-loaded ones work good enough to take out minor scratches, but if you can, have them power honed....I use a NEW WAY seat cutter, it's a bitch on the wrist, but works great!

Joel

Thanks that is what I have bought and you are right tough on the wrist but does a nice clean and even cut. After that I rinse the cylinders with soap and water and dry them and plastic bags.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 22:47:19 pm »

Sunnen static honer and Serdi valve seat cutter.

T
Udo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 08:40:15 am »

I have a mira centronic which is the best seat cutter in the world . It finds 100% center of the guide  Cheesy

Udo

K-Roc

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 09:23:27 am »

Here is some great information on seat cutting from some of the best cylinder head guys around....

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334&hilit=Neway

And another 160 posts....

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19059&hilit=Neway

Udo how does your setup work for cutting each valve seat to the same depth?  I have only used the Mira setup that was on a milling machine and we simply cut each seat down to a specific number on the digital readout. ( nice and repeatable)

I use a setup from TNS Machines I would love to get their center less valve grinder some day.......

http://www.tnsmachines.com/Home.aspx

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:48 am »

When you hone cylinders, is it just to have a surface finish or to blueprint cylinder to have an accurate piston to cylinder wall clearances?
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 21:28:35 pm »

Both. It depends on the applikation.

I think the largest "problem" with the Serdi 250 centerless + & of course the CNC is the guy standing behind it. The 250 onward is at least as precise than most other machines. Plus, it is faster to use compared to most.
I saw the new Mira at an Auto show a couple of weeks ago and it definitely looked interesting. - The price tag did´nt though.

If the guy at the end of the tool knows his stuff, he can make a better job with an old handpulled Mira, than the guy at the $ 50000 CNC cutter that doent know what he´s doing.

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: