The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 00:40:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Building your own car or paying somebody to do everything
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Building your own car or paying somebody to do everything  (Read 9907 times)
8 spoke

« on: October 25, 2008, 02:16:58 am »

Whats your opinions
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:11:50 am »

The best license plate frame I have ever read said,

"It's not what I bought
 It's what I built"

But since a lot of those "checkbook car guys" pays my bills, I can't say too much!! Lips Sealed

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:31:43 am »

I have certainly seen both sides to this issue, and now that I am older.... er, ah, and less time on my hands, the idea of paying someone to get my damn car done doesn't sound so bad.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:35:32 am »

Alright when do we get started?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
deano

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:44:20 am »

Alright when do we get started?

Danny <------->Nevada<--------->Deano<--------->Vista<------>No workie

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:47:06 am »

It was worth a try, Right?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Gabetion2000

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:30:39 am »

My opinion is it comes down to someones capabilities and or income. If you are not mechanically inclined, then it's probably better to have someone else built it. Whether it be engine,trans or chassis. You will end up spending 2 times the amount having to pay someone to fix your mistake. Also for most of the guys that started building there own stuff it was because the lack of money. If you have some ablility and minimal money, it just makes sense. You will get the naysayers if you have someone else build it, but those are usually the people that are jelious of what you have. But there is a sense of accomplishment when you do build you own car.The first rip down the road is one of the best feelings you will ever have.
My two cents
Gabe

A and G's Racing
73 Super
Rasser

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:07:18 am »

But there is a sense of accomplishment when you do build you own car.The first rip down the road is one of the best feelings you will ever have.
My two cents
Gabe

No matter how much money you pay someone to build a car, you canīt buy that feeling!!!

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
vwhelmot

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:10:10 am »

But there is a sense of accomplishment when you do build you own car.The first rip down the road is one of the best feelings you will ever have.
My two cents
Gabe

No matter how much money you pay someone to build a car, you canīt buy that feeling!!!
Your so right mate, there is nothing like the feeling of finishing and driving a freshly restored vw, knowing that ive done all the graft myself. It was so nice to be able to reply me to the question `who painted that `!
         Winning awards is also a touchy subject, i peronally believe that there should be a category for self/home built cars . Grin
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 13:48:16 pm »

I have certainly seen both sides to this issue, and now that I am older.... er, ah, and less time on my hands, the idea of paying someone to get my damn car done doesn't sound so bad.

Deano's got it.  I want to be able to do EVERYTHING on my car, and do it well.  I've just started to hit that period of life when there's more important things than making your wife a garage widow stuck with the kid.  Case in point right now, my 2110 build.  I've been gearing up to do it myself, spent a lot on tools and parts.  But if I really ever want it to see it run in this lifetime, someone else is gonna have to do it right now so I'm paying to have it built this winter.  A big bummer for my ego, but I'll forget about that next season when I'm listening to straight cuts whine behind me rather than looking at a bunch of boxes in the attic.

Really makes me wish I had gotten more done in my single days!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 15:15:34 pm »

I enjoy the build process and working on my cars. Having said that, there are definitely some things I will farm out if I can afford it. There are just some things I know I can't do to the quality I want it done. Plus, then maybe it will get done in a reasonable amount of time.

One day I would like to be rich enough to be able call up someone like Lanny or Danny and say "I want a car with this, this and this, call me when its done."  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
tikimadness

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 16:12:27 pm »

Even if I did have the money I would do it all myself.I get so much joy from searching for parts and figgering out how to do stuff.
The one thing I don't do is the final paint on my car because it involves serious skills to shoot metalflakes. Wink

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 16:50:25 pm »

me too
I'd try it all at least once, except paint.
Always vowed I'd drive my car around with heads I did, at least that is now partially true Roll Eyes
Sam K

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 16:55:37 pm »

I really enjoy the satisfaction the I get from buildnig cars myself, plus it costs a fortune to have somebody else do it. The few times that I have farmed something out, I'm usually not satisfied with their work anyway. That being said, the last couple of cars I built were unfinished projects, which was very cool. Both were freshly painted rolling shells and all I had to do was re-assemble them.
2manytoys

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 17:42:44 pm »

I don't care if someone buys it or builds it. I care more about the passion that the owner has for the car and the hobby. I personally love working on them, but I also love getting qualified help when I need it. I'm not dumb enough to think i can do it all myself, especially if I want it done right.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Roman

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 17:46:52 pm »

I like to do as much as I can myself. I have built engines, panited cars ported heads etc. but after a couple of tries you know what you are good at and what you should leave to pros.
I don't look down at people that has complete pro built cars. If you can't do it yourself due to some reason and can afford to do it, go ahead!
I can't see the difference between having someone building a looker for you or buying a finished car.
It is all about realizing deams.
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 18:01:42 pm »

I like to do as much as I can myself. I have built engines, panited cars ported heads etc. but after a couple of tries you know what you are good at and what you should leave to pros.
I don't look down at people that has complete pro built cars. If you can't do it yourself due to some reason and can afford to do it, go ahead!
I can't see the difference between having someone building a looker for you or buying a finished car.

Totally agree ...
Sometimes you have to let  the pros do their thing.
GreenTom

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 18:20:28 pm »

I'm trying to do everything in the car by myselfe.
sometimes I ask smeone who is better in body work to help me but never pay for all work. thats good that's not so much things that I can't do myselfe Smiley let say 95% of all I do myselfe.

the best feeling is to don't sleap for 5 night preparing the car to race/meeting and than fire "Him" up and be pfroud of it cuz You dit it npo body else...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyjEthrDFPo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RyjEthrDFPo</a>
day before racing Smiley
and the racing day Smiley
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2PYBrughPHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2PYBrughPHY</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_L7_Zw-ut4I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_L7_Zw-ut4I</a>
Sorry for OT Smiley

but yes do as much as you can on youre car and be proud of it.
(BTW the engin was build in few hours before going back yo Poland form UK Cheesy form 21:00 till 3:00 - ant 10:30 in the morning it was on the dyno and it still runs)

I remember one episode quite funny in Poland - night racing Smiley BMW don't remember what but the guy was a type of person that Zach describe (check book guy) I spanked him popperly Tongue and when we were talking he turned red when he heard from my lads that all in the car was made by me in the shitty garage Tongue 85HP shiter Tongue

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
karl h

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 19:32:52 pm »

Whatever floats your boat, but I prefer to do everything myself, except painting (just haven't got the equipment)
For me its essential that when I get a compliment about my car I know I did the work

Gabetion2000

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 20:22:40 pm »

There are some things I dont do. Heads (although im trying) and paint. Those are another kind of art. But I do most of the build myself. I am a mechanic by trade so its no big deal. I do hear about people talking down to people who have had there cars built by someone else, and I dont think that's right. As long as you drive the crap out of the car and the love is there, I dont see a problem.
But I do think that you should get your hands dirty. Maybe oil changes and valve adjustments. Those are things anyone can do.
Gabe

A and G's Racing
73 Super
Russell

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 21:56:03 pm »

I think anyway is OK

As said before, not everyone has the skills, so fair play to them for investing in our hobby.
Not everyone has the cash so fair play to them for doing it on a budget and making the effort
Again, we are not all the same so choices are fine with me.... would far rather speak to someone who paid $20k to have a car build for them and loves it than some one who goes to the local garage and buys a run of the mill daily driver.

Best Regards

Russell
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 23:13:06 pm »

Let's say you get married. You hire a photographer to take the pictures, you want them to be perfect.

Now let's say you're celebrating your birthday. I guess taking the pics yourself is fine...

That's why I got the 68 mostly built but i work on all my other cars.

Glitter don't make you faster.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 21:55:36 pm »

that's a good point. After a few tries, you learn what you have got the knack for and what to farm out. If I ever tried painting a car, it would want to run and stick its bonnet in the sand and hide. As far as other stuff goes, I like doing it because it is done at my pace, and as many times as it take to get it right. If I bolt up a bottom end, and it just doesn't feel right, I can look in and see what, why, how etc. If I am setting up linkage, I can adjust sweep and length of drop rods until I am happy with feel of pedal. If I think my window cleaning didn't get all the smears and film, then I can re do it. I've had work done, like most others, on my cars, and I have to say, with only a few exceptions (maybe 3 guys), I've been pretty disappointed with their work. Usually had to go home and learn how to figure it out and do it correctly myself. I think the problem usually lies with miscommunication.  Roll Eyes
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 22:04:17 pm »

I don't care if someone buys it or builds it. I care more about the passion that the owner has for the car and the hobby.

I think this is the best post yet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
ian c

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 09:53:57 am »

do what you want .

thats what i say .

if you can , and want to build your own car (or even parts)
a lot of the pros will respect you for this and will even offer advice .

if youd rather concentrate on working to get the cash to pay someoneelse , thats fine too .

like russell says , its good just to have the passion to own it , and be an enthusiast .

i'm split with my jobs ... sometimes i like to do things myself , other times i farm it out .
if its something i cannot do or dont want to learn , i pay an expertt to do it .......

..... like when i get toothache .... its just better to pay the dentist Wink

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:31 pm »

..... like when i get toothache .... its just better to pay the dentist Wink

Dentist, shmentist...that's what these are for.

Grin

We own our cars. Therefore it's our decision to do what we want. I do as much as I possibly can, myself. Everything else that I don't have the time/space/lift/tools for... I'll take to a friend's shop. To each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ian c

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 13:45:22 pm »

*NOTE TO SELF* 
never tell mark i have a toothache ...

(o\ ! /o)
ian c

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 13:50:41 pm »

i'm still scared of you from that time you turned up at nicks with a corpse in the car ...

Cheesy:D

(o\ ! /o)
Cornpanzer

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 13:59:08 pm »

I take great pride in haveing done most of the work on mycar.  That being said, now that I am more than a decade earlier, I doubt that I would have time to do the same project now.  Yet, lilke Jim I have trouble finding anyone to do the work to my standards.  For example, if I do my own paint, I can easily overlook a minor flaw or two and I dont get upset if it takes a year.  If I pay some guy $8,000, it better be perfect and on time  havent met a paint and body guy yet who understands a schedule!)

People who do thier own work, should be proud...but careful lest that pride turn into snobbery.  I have to roll my eyes at guys who make comments like "he's not a real enthuisiast, he just writes checks"  like due to thier VW building skills, they are somehow better than the "checkwriter" who may be an accomplished surgeon, or businessman.  In the big scheme of things, that spinal surgeon who just bought a turn-key Cal-Look car has probably paid more dues than during his years and years of college than we have learning to rebuild IDA's.  Roll Eyes

My Doctor happens to be a VW guy and a friend.  He doesnt do any of his own work.  Somehow I think he still manages to feel pretty good about himself when he looks at himself in the mirror.  And frankly, as I near 40, there are some procedures that must take place in which I am happy that he wasnt rebuilding a greasy gearbox the night before!   Shocked Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
alfie the monster

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 14:17:38 pm »

Hmmm what if you don't have the skills or time to build your own car? I have none of these. I wouldn't want to have a go myself and hurtle a fast VW down the road knowing that I've put it together, I value my life  Shocked

I do what I can on my car, which is mainly the real crappy jobs, like scraping underseal or lapping valves. It's within my skillset, it's safe if I do cock up and I'm happy as I'm working on my own car. I work long hours to pay the right people to work on my car. I'll never have the knowledge that Funky Pete has, and I'll never be able to build a car like Alex Taylor. So I have them do the work for me.

I think that sometimes there's some people who look down on others who have cars built for them. But hey, they'd look down even more if they saw a dangerous, poorly built pile of shit that I cobbled together  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: