The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:19:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350708 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  anybody manufacture a brake master cylinder brace?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anybody manufacture a brake master cylinder brace?  (Read 2602 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 20, 2008, 16:39:28 pm »

When I had my WRX, I could buy a bracket or brace that supported master cylinder and prevented any "flex" that was present if you really applied some stomp to the brakes (the m cyl, without the brace would move, the slightest amount, on its mounting point on the firewall, the brace eliminated this). I noticed my Bug does same thing if I really get on the brakes, you can feel the "give", does anybody make a support? If not I am sure one could be fabbed with ease.... maybe even something you could preload. More ideas for Danny Gab I guess....
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 18:10:37 pm »

Jim, there are some steel tubes that the MC bolts are supposed to go through that help keep the firewall from flexing. Sometimes they fall out when you change the MC. Are your's still there?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 18:12:25 pm »

Jim, there are some steel tubes that the MC bolts are supposed to go through that help keep the firewall from flexing. Sometimes they fall out when you change the MC. Are your's still there?

--louis

Yep they're there....
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 18:17:59 pm »

That section of the firewall is pretty flat. (on the outside) I bet you could take a piece of plate, say 3/8 or 1/4 and cut it in a big square. Cut holes for the mounting bolts and the MC push rod. Sandwich it between the MC and firewall. This would spread out the load sort of like a roll bar mount.

Another option would be to bend up some flat stock into a C pattern. drill and tap a tread for a large bolt, or weld a nut to it, munt it directly under the MC and use the bolt to add tension to the MC. Or figure out some way to mount the MC to the bracket.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:37:55 am »

What you can do is weld a support under the end of the MC, but you must really brake hard if you are bending that double wall. How wide are your front tires?  ; Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 16:54:15 pm »

My boss' Merkur has the same type of aftermarket brace. Couldnt hurt to put one in our cars.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: