The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:26:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Berg 933S Dual QP dillemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Berg 933S Dual QP dillemma  (Read 3600 times)
Jeff68

« on: January 15, 2010, 18:39:27 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the right Place for this post, but here goes.  I had A-1 fab a dual QP muffler for my Berg 933S header.  After I finally got my Berg 2110 engine in the car the muffler doesn't fit.  Sad Take a look at the pictures below.  The muffler flange is just a little low and when you try and bolt the muffler up the muffler bodies hit the bottom of the fenders.  I talked with Manuel at A-1 and he's willing to modify the muffler but I'd have to send him the header and muffler to make sure it all fits (I live in Florida).  It's not A-1's or Berg's fault as I think the header collector location and angle for these headers may have changed over time and it was impossible for A-1 to know which one I had.  A-1 did come close though!  Anyway, does anybody have any ideas on how i can make this work without cutting and modifying the header collector or muffler?  Huh I had a straight collector spacer made but that didn't work either. Sad   I don't want to sell the muffler to anyone because they'll probably have the same problem and they would get pretty pissed at me. Embarrassed Also, if anyone has an old Berg dual or even single QP in good shape for a 933S header that they may want to sell let me know.  Open to any ideas, Thanks!

gizago

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 18:59:21 pm »

What gearbox mounts are you using?? Some (eg CB Rhino's) push the engine further back, which could cause this to happen.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 19:10:18 pm »

Is the three bolt flange hitting apron? If thats the problem, can you pull apron up? When you cut the third notch in apron it might have taken some of the strenght out of edge of apron. Its hard to see in pictures

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
glenn

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 19:20:15 pm »

I have a Berg GB-933S 1-5/8" merged and GB-971A-2M dual muffler. I hope this helps

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Jeff68

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 19:25:11 pm »

What gearbox mounts are you using?? Some (eg CB Rhino's) push the engine further back, which could cause this to happen.
 The gearbox mounts are the VW "heavy duty" mounts. i don't have the part # handy.

Is the three bolt flange hitting apron? If thats the problem, can you pull apron up? When you cut the third notch in apron it might have taken some of the strenght out of edge of apron. Its hard to see in pictures
After the engine was installed (the third apron notch wasn't added yet)) the three bolt flange was close to the apron but didn't touch.  The apron was trimmed to make sure there would be clearance as it looked like it might hit.  The heat shield or sheet metal on the underbody side of the apron was trimmed but left pretty much in tact.  The Notch didn't seem to cause the apron to move as it looks as though all the sheet metal lines up pretty well but I suppose you could be right.
Here's a picture taken from underneath the car, under the header collector.
Jeff68

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 19:34:50 pm »

I have a Berg GB-933S 1-5/8" merged and GB-971A-2M dual muffler. I hope this helps

Thanks Glenn.  If you look at the pictures of the back of your car Glenn it looks as though either my apron is lower than yours, or my header collector is higher than yours.  Or maybe the bodywork on '74 beetles is different than on 68's, I don't know which?  Huh  As I've said the rear apron on my car seems correct so it's hard for me to tell.  I think I'm going to buy to 1 5/8 flanges from the Berg's and then go to a muffler shop and see if I can try and fab something.  The more i look at this I think I'm going to have to modify the header or muffler flange Sad
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 20:37:13 pm »

Jeff, it looks like your collector flange angles down, which in turn causes your muffs to rotate up into the car.  Maybe a muffler shop can extend the tubing and angle the flange on the muffs just enough to clear everything.  Doesn't look like it would take but a few inches.

Shame about your coating, though.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
glenn

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 22:32:42 pm »

The gearbox mounts are the VW "heavy duty" mounts. i don't have the part # handy
I'm using the heavy duty VW (grey) mounts in the back. I have a Berg 5 and my front is a special mount.

I can tell you the tips of the mufflers are very close to the body. so close you can put your pinky between them.

And with the mounts I have they do not hit, the paint is not even scratched.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 18:06:33 pm »

Heat the bottom side of muffler tubes and when they start to cool , Put a little preasure downward on them and see if that works

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 00:10:25 am »

I have a Berg 932S header I bought in 1993 and the flange was welded on crooked. I had to cut off the flange and reweld it.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jeff68

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 18:16:59 pm »

Thanks for all the posts and ideas.  For now I put the A-1 Dynomax muffler back on the car, damn it's loud.  Anyway I think after looking at Damon L.'s car in the lastest Cal-Look Hot-VWs issue I think I'm going to takt the header off and modify it.  I think I'm going to extend the collector and add a crankcase evacuation tube that I'll connect to the breather box.  Right now the engine just vents in to the atmosphere from the top if the breather box. The engine in my car has 48 IDA's so I don't have air filters that I can connect a breather line to.  After I get it done I'll take some pictures of it.

Question....Will lengthening the header collector hurt performance?  I don't think it will but just wondering.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Glenn...I just Love the way your mufflers fit ....!!!!.....I've always been picky about the "Fit & Angle"...Your's is perfect....!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 19:27:39 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: