The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:34:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350708 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  IDAs on an almost daily driver
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: IDAs on an almost daily driver  (Read 16947 times)
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« on: April 12, 2006, 12:50:37 pm »

Hey ho, I'm planning an engine update with IDAs. As I want to use my car a lot, I'm not sure about running IDAs without aircleaners. "A lot" means that I drive 15'000 kilometers each summer (from april to october). What do you think about how reliability of the engine is concerned in terms of dust sucked in by the IDAs? Should I try to get aircleaners or something similar? Or can I expect troublefree high mileage running IDAs with open stacks.

thanks for sharing your experiences

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
Sander/DVK

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 17:46:34 pm »

100 Km withhout aircleaners is the same as 100.000 Km with aircleaners.
Why wouldt you drive without??

Cheers,
Sander

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:32:14 am »

well that's a good point, didn't know that there's such a big difference.

...because stock sucks.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:18:19 pm »

Hi Marc, I ran my 2L without aircleaners about 5000km one season and after complete engine diassembly couldn´t find any unusual waer on the cylinder walls etc.
BTW I ran with CB Performance stack boots and Christian and Felix still do so as well - without any problems.
So just do it! Grin
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 13:14:42 pm »

Hi Tobi, sounds good! the cb stack boots are way to go! just saw on the csp website that there are k&n filters for IDAs available, but you need short manifolds. but in fact I've never seen IDAs with aircleaners before. see you

...because stock sucks.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 19:05:00 pm »

I ran similar stack boots on my engine last summer, but had to throw them out. I could'nt get the engine to run any good with them...
Seems it was not getting enought air..

Anyone tried something like these ones?

http://www.pipercross.net/competition_socks.asp
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 21:06:30 pm »

Yepp, have used them... Made my engine run a few degrees hotter.... If you get them don't let the stacks bottom out agianst the "top" off the filters. 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 22:34:03 pm »

I have used them on several street engines (from low 12 to high 14) with very good result. I have yet to see any results from taking them of (like worse ET). I allways went with the old rule of 2" from top of stack to top of filter. There is a lot of debate in Sweden about them, but who cares.....let's show some real figures that show any claimed disadvantage. My 2 cents. Happiness is a HotVW!!
Gunnar|Rennfahrer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 19:27:23 pm »

I have used them on several street engines (from low 12 to high 14) with very good result. I have yet to see any results from taking them of (like worse ET). I allways went with the old rule of 2" from top of stack to top of filter. There is a lot of debate in Sweden about them, but who cares.....let's show some real figures that show any claimed disadvantage. My 2 cents. Happiness is a HotVW!!

Have you made some kind of "cage" to get them standing 2" from the top of the stack?
If so, can you tell us how?

Gunnar

Rennfahrers VW Club
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 20:38:46 pm »

But dudes!! I run a oval, there is just no fuc.... way to get it all into the engine compartment!! I even had to cut the rear right stack a bit to get the engine lid closed  Embarrassed  I want to use the car in rain etc as well, so I really want to have the lid closed...  I am not to comfortable about running on the dusty norwegian roads without air filter. What to do......
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 21:29:29 pm »

Increase the compresion ratio...  Roll Eyes  Your engine is to wide Rune... Wink

GeirH

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 23:05:03 pm »

Add a Porsche wing...will give lot of space for filters!! LOL
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:10:12 pm »

Have you made some kind of "cage" to get them standing 2" from the top of the stack?
If so, can you tell us how?

I`m using a slim but tall and wide spring inside my socks and that keep the socks from getting sucked in. Bought the springs at kollevold if I remember correctly.

Best rgs
BeetleBug

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
SplitMan
SCC Crew

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 12:47:03 pm »

Don't worry too much... I have driven my looker with nothing close to an airfilter for about 7 years now... I still run 13,6-13,9 on the 402m and it takes me safely all the way home afterwards. I guess it is time to open the engine and look at the real wear after the '06 season..
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 18:12:41 pm »

PX has two sizes of filter sockings. The big one does not fit regular size stacks but the smaller one do. Just put the socks on, but don't push them down all the way and you have about 2" of clearense. If the socks are folding you have a big flow problem and need to clean the filter. A clena filter with oil on them will not collapse. You also don't want to tie them down with straps as maintenace is to time consuming. After a whole lotof street miles we have yet to drop more then the only one so far. I have built 4 out of 10 cars engines on the top 10 list and they all use the PX filters. Fitting a 48 IDA inside the stock 50' engine compartment is tricky and the ram horns need to be trimmed unless you use the short manifolds......but with short manifolds you have to have very flexible fingers and tools. So one gain is one loss.....the compromise of having the cake and eating it!! Happiness is a Hot VW!!
rebel

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 19:07:30 pm »

I didn't want to open a new tread...
I have a question to IDA owners - that is what fuel conumption should I expect at a 1914cc with 48 IDAs?
Currently I drive using borrowed DRLAs, and thery're ok, but I daydream 'bout IDAs.
IDAs not cheap, and the fuel nowadays also...
Somebody can make an estimate of gas milage in litres per 100kms?

BABOON
SCC Official

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 23:00:22 pm »

This all depends on your lead foot. How heavy is your Grin

rebel

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 00:06:44 am »

What do you think? Push the pedal to the metal! Cheesy
Yeah, I like driving hard even in the during-the-day traffic, but not all the time.
Besides Warsaw is a kind of a city, where it's hard to drive slowly, cause everybody is in hurry...
It's kind of a automotive jungle, very different from Copenhagen, Malmo or Stockholm - at least from the times I remember these cities - my impression was that 99% of people drive no faster than the speed limit alows. Poland is kinda diffrent.

But - I asked the question, because I wonder if it would be possible for me to do the everyday driving using the IDAs,
So what would be a aproximate consumption? 15 per 100kms? 25? 35? (assuming the quite normal driving with some flooring from time to time)
Now its around 12 per 100kms.

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 08:06:36 am »

My 2176 with IDAs, did 10 pr 100. With three passengers on the motorway and 10 - 15 minutes of burnout... Roll Eyes 

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 08:59:24 am »

On my trip home from Hessisch-Oldendorf to Wolfsburg last year (about 150km) my 2176cc IDA-engine needed about 10 litres per 100km (driving at about 110km/h). But if I play with the pedal it can easily be twice as much... Grin
ESH

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25:37 am »

What's all this litres and Kilometers stuff? Miles per gallon is what you mean surely?  Smiley

rebel

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 00:02:25 am »

My 2176 with IDAs, did 10 pr 100. With three passengers on the motorway and 10 - 15 minutes of burnout... Roll Eyes 

Wow, that's quite convincing for me.
Is there a big difference in performance between IDAs and DRLAs?
What would I have to do to succesfully weberize my 1914cc?
Just put 'em on, I know, but I mean to fully use the IDA advatages? Increase C/R? Put a wilder cam and straight cut cam gears? Maybe bigger rockers? ( connecting rods are bone stock, so I should use the hardened, I think) Would a stock tranny last longer than few hundred miles?
I have 40x37,5 modified VW heads, Scat C35 cam, 9,2:1 compression ratio and 1,1:1 bolted rockers.
Could you plese give me a good advice?

Georg/DFL

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 22:54:30 pm »

@Rebel: IDAs show their full potential in high revs. If you engine is limited through the cam too lower revs than a different cam that could be used up to 7000 to 7500 rpm would be preferable. BUT – even if you have them solely for posing, WHY NOT? They are the most sexy carbs of all times! Grin

What's all this litres and Kilometers stuff? Miles per gallon is what you mean surely?  Smiley

@ Mat: I heard you always talking about pints per evening, not miles per gallon...  Grin
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 19:01:16 pm by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
rebel

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 14:13:14 pm »

. BUT – even if you have them solely for posing, WHY NOT? Thes are the most sexy carbs of all times! Grin

Nah... I consider cal-look as an certain attitude, that doesn't really go together with posing.
I was just wandering if IDAs on my engine would be effective. You say, thet not really, so I'll better stick to DRLAs ( at least to the next major engine upgrade)

ESH

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 12:29:48 pm »

@ Mat: I heard you always talking about pints per evening, not miles per gallon...  Grin

Keeps me from running lean! Grin As it happens it looks like the UK is only inches away from being fully metrificated.

Drove my DRLA motor for possibly the last time at the weekend, got to pull it in the next few days and make some changes including some IDA's. I think I'll miss the DRLA's but I need more power to overcome the GT ratios and the IDA's will work better with the new set up.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 15:38:50 pm by Mat Sanchez » Logged
Georg/DFL

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 19:09:15 pm »

Nah... I consider cal-look as an certain attitude, that doesn't really go together with posing.

So Rebel, what is having IDAs on a 1776? Or a 2007? Or a 2176? With a W120 cam, or maybe a Scat C25? They reach maybe 6200 rpm – no use for IDAs here. It's posing! It's just because "they" had it this way in the 70s. They even had IDAs on 1641 cc. Crazy! IDFs would be the better choice, the carbs are more modern, easyer to fine tune. But do they look good? Kind of, but IDAs are the real thing! And why not buying IDAs know. You will upgrade the rest of the engine sooner or later... Grin

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
rebel

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 00:39:38 am »

You will upgrade the rest of the engine sooner or later... Grin

I hope so Cheesy I have lotsa questions to the upgrading subject, but I'll just open another tread for it.

To the posing again - I was just askin how would it work, cause I didn't know... Smiley
Besides, posing is something I hat in some people, that's why I'm trying not to do it.

fast54vw

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 07:13:00 am »

I ran similar stack boots on my engine last summer, but had to throw them out. I could'nt get the engine to run any good with them...
Seems it was not getting enought air..

same problem here. it would idle fine but wouldnt go.
i bought the redline ones that have the foam sandwiched between to screens.
they were on my old street/race car that had no fender wells so i didnt want rocks finding their way down the stacks

Its not what you do, its how you do it!
Rasser

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 21:05:15 pm »

I drive a pair of 40mm dells with 37 vents on my 1914 (40-37,5mm valves on a pair of homeported 040 stock heads - Engle w130 cam with 1,25:1 rockers - 1-5/8" merged - 2½"magnaflow muffler - C/R 10,9:1 - deckheight 0,95mm)

The engine makes 147Hp with the dells... and is perfectly streetable.....   who needs IDA´s ?    Wink

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
TiDi

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 15:51:53 pm »

So Rebel, what is having IDAs on a 1776? Or a 2007? Or a 2176? With a W120 cam, or maybe a Scat C25? They reach maybe 6200 rpm – no use for IDAs here. It's posing! It's just because "they" had it this way in the 70s. They even had IDAs on 1641 cc. Crazy! IDFs would be the better choice, the carbs are more modern, easyer to fine tune. But do they look good? Kind of, but IDAs are the real thing! And why not buying IDAs know. You will upgrade the rest of the engine sooner or later... Grin

Yeah I'm looking for a 1776 with IDA's like the good old days....

I'm not shure if the motor can handle them....
but I can't immagine my engine without!

here the specs of two old cars, if this motors were used I can do the same :-)

from Cal-Look.com

Dean KIRSTEN '67
Engine choices were either an 1835cc or a 1700cc, using an Engle 110 cam, Fleming & Aronson 40 x 32 valve heads, 9.0:1 c/r, DDS manifolds, a (now early) Berg linkage, 48 IDAs, 1-1/2 Berg merged header, 010 Bosch distributor, a Santana pulley, along with filled and block-sanded sheet metal.

Greg ARONSON / Jim HOLMES '63
1700cc, KS 88mm pistons, Ron Fleming 40x35.5 heads, Engle 110, Berg manifolds and linkage (early), 48 IDAs, Bosch 010, Santana pulley, Berg pump and F&S clutch.

4 Wheel Ripperz - http://cal-look.tumblr.com/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: