The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 20:59:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1980 Mexican Late Looker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1980 Mexican Late Looker  (Read 8258 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:16 am »

Well I thought I'd start a thread on the progress of my most recent arrival.

Its a 1980 Mexican Bug and so far I'm really pleased with it. It was bought bone stock and the intention is to make a nice streetable bug that I can use with my family, as my other 60 turbo bug is I suppose a bit of a selfish affair... hope is that my wife & kids can come along and enjoy some of the fun with this one.

Basic plans (some of which I've now done) are simply to drop the front end a little, get a change of wheels and tyres on it and fit something a little less weedy than the stock 1200cc fire breather in the engine bay. I have parts for a super mild 1641, and I've also got parts for a 2110. I'm guessing the 2110 will end up in there  Grin. I also have some basic transmission upgrade parts that will find their way onto the car just to help it cope with any increase in power. And no matteer how streetable it is, its bound to end up on the dragstrip  Cheesy so it would make sense to sort that. Its also riding on stock drums all round at the moment so that will come in for some changes as soon as I can afford it.

Anyway, here it is as-bought. The colour is mexico beige, and its had a pretty decent external repaint at some point. Under the bonnet and everywhere else is all original paint. Nice to see factory spot welds well preserved under the arches, but have to say the mexicans certainly liked using the seam sealer! Having heard some negative info about the mexi built bugs I don't know whether I'm one of the lucky few or if the naysayers were just talking BS about rust problems etc. Bearing in mind the car is 32 yrs young, it needs no welding at all, and is certainly better than some of the german built cars I have owned that were (at the time 15-20 years ago) of a similar age. I suppose it is more likely that a car of this age was enthusiast owned from new though and so better cared for? I dunno, but it is what it is.

Gave the underbonnet a quick clean up looking for rust. Glad to say I found none! Anyone got an idea what I could use to get that horrible glue that holds the tarboard in place (the big splodges on the under dash panel)?
 From this:

to this:

I also had a part set of Sprint Stars knocking about that I decided to put on, but thought a darker silver would suit the light colour better than the bright silver they woudl have come from the factory with. Got to be honest, I rushed the detailing and will have to redo them at some point.

They're equipped with 145 Firestone f-560's up front and Barum 165's at the rear. I have a single 165 XZX that as soon as I can drop on another for a reasonable price will find their way onto the wheels.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:04:43 am by kaferboy » Logged

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:37 am »

It took me nearly a full week to drop the front beam out to lower the damn thing, thanks to working outside on the driveway, dodging rain storms in what must surely be one of the wettest summers we've had in the UK for years.

Anyway, its done now, but I need shorter shocks to drop the front end just a little more - I'm not after 'slammed' but another 1-2" lower would be ideal I think.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:51 am »

Oh yeah, the shitty chrome stone guards/rust collectors on the wings disappeared within a day or two of it arriving... I hate those things!

dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 19:47:33 pm »

looks good mate  Cool Cool
be sure to check out the engine bolts  Wink wont be long before its got a turbo engine hanging out the back Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 13:05:00 pm »

Wheels are looking great painted with dark grey  Cool

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 13:19:50 pm »

Cheers Danny Smiley Bolt check is on the to do list lol. Thanks Nico, I'll have to redo them to a better quality, but am really pleased with the colours.

I managed to do a little more, had a root around in my garage in found some new moroso/CE 90/10 shockers which I've put on the front - does anyone have any experience with using these on the street? Then I've tweaked the ride height at the front - I know it doesn't look massively different in the pic, but its now where I wanted it... nose down but not slammed. Also done a little brake work to improve things on that front.

I've also spent a couple of evenings helping out Peach with setting up his 2276 he's fitted in his 66, and as a thank you he's kindly given me a nice Bugpack single quiet pack, which I think will look right at home at the rear end of this and get rid of those rusty pea shooters. Will need to build an engine to hang it off first though! thanks peach  Wink

I also wonder if anyone has an opinion on this:

I have one of these wheels hanging on the wall in my garage, and think I will install it. I've always been a big fan of Ernie Barrons brown late model bug with its little Porsche touches, and thought something similar may work on this. What do you guys think? Or am I heading into German Look territory here?!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 13:23:54 pm by kaferboy » Logged

Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 13:25:26 pm »

Now if you paint the headlight rings body colour it'll look really smart! I think for a motor I'd go for a mild 2110, something that'll have enough power to keep up with everyday traffic but will still be pretty fuel efficient - maybe a small turbo?

Like the Sprintstars too, but it would look good on the chrome ones I've got for sale... Wink

I remember talking to someone about using 90/10's on the street - might have been Ian at WPS? - and the general conslusion was that it was a really bad idea!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 13:41:23 pm »

I remember talking to someone about using 90/10's on the street - might have been Ian at WPS? - and the general conslusion was that it was a really bad idea!

I'm great at taking bad ideas and proving them right Neil  Grin Think I'll get a set of normal lowered shocks then...

I was thinking about c.coding the lights and bumpers too, but don't really want to start welding up trim hoples and repainting as its in such good condition - how do you think it would look with the trim still in place?

And I would LOVE your chromies mate but am tres skint after buying this... its another car I can't afford haha.

Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 15:13:00 pm »

You can leave the bumpers and trim dude, just the headlight rims makes a massive difference, especially on that colour. You could always black out the trim and handles, or even body colour like DKK Fred has done on his '67?

If it makes any difference, the chrome Sprints were an extravagance that I didn't really need either, but they look ace!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Shane Noone

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 16:47:18 pm »

Looking Good Jamie !! I wish I could find some pics of my old green mex to post up for ya. I left it all stock looking except 4 lug BRM's and slight whack with lowering stick up front. Real street sleeper with built trans and 2276 in the back under a closed 4 vent late lid.

Cheers

Shane.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 22:46:50 pm »

body colour like DKK Fred has done on his '67?

Color-codded trim and lights like Mark did on his '67, and with chromed bumpers, would look great! Especially with that beige.

kev d

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 17:25:27 pm »

Looks good Cool
Also reckon c coded light rings would look good along with earlier rear wings & tombstone lights Grin
Mex car values have been on the floor for ages but look to be on the way up, I've lost out on 2 on ebay in the last 3 weeks Sad

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:46:29 am »

Cheers guys, colour coded headlight rims will be in the cars future... Smiley I'm just gathering final parts for the engine build but for now just driving it as is (slowly!).

Kev I have to say they seem great little cars!

kev d

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 20:10:19 pm »

Just thought that the colour's not a million miles from the Goss chop top or Doug Mische Ghia if you needed a bit if inspiration.. Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Russell

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 23:27:40 pm »

Just thought that the colour's not a million miles from the Goss chop top or Doug Mische Ghia if you needed a bit if inspiration.. Wink

your right its about 2 million miles away...  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 15:40:22 pm »

Haha Smiley yeah its not so different in this pic, but in real life its a little more custard than the Goss car, not sure about Doug's Ghia... but anyway I think Russell has the market cornered for old cal lookers and recreations  Grin it'll probably look how it does now Kev just with a bit more hp in the rear end and the colour coded headlight rims. I'm also considering black trim, maybe not to everyones taste but what can you do?!  Smiley I can always switch back. Ultimately I'd like to dechrome it, but I just don't know if I have the time for another full on project which is what it would undoubtedly turn into.

I've just been out for a sedate cruise around the country lanes where I live in it actually to cheer me up (I have terrible toothache off and on and its turning me into a real bear right now, my wife practically kicked me out of the house when I mentioned going out lol), even the sun came out briefly for me. I have the 90/10 shocks on, but being that the ones I have are adjustable I have them set to 60/40 and they actually ride quite nicely, I'm really surprised. I also had a root through and found an old autometer sport tach that I'll fit this week (the smaller one).

Also made a start last night on the 2110, hopefully that will be in before long, but I also have my hands full prepping my 60 turbo bug ready for Das Drag Day, there's a bunch of loose ends I want tied up before I go so I can relax and enjoy myself while I'm there rather than stressing out spannering on the damn thing like I seem to have spent most of my time this year at the track.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 18:08:32 pm »

Had a spare few minutes so installed the wheel and tacho. Still lots of tidying to on the interior, a rip on the drivers seat to sort and the carpets being the main things...

Andy Sykes

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 18:33:29 pm »

Looks nice Jamie Smiley

Cheers andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
coxwagen

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:00 am »

The steering wheels is mounting without modification ?

Oliv from Veedubs Haus
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:40 am »

Cheers Smiley

I had issues with the tab that turns off the indicators when you straighten the wheel getting in the way, so I cut it off. I have to cancel the indicators myself now, but having been used to driving much older bugs without that its not a big deal anyway. But yes the hub splines matched perfectly.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 20:45:58 pm »

Well done a bit more playing around and a lot more driving, getting out to various local shows and cruises with the car whenever I can. Engine build is on hold just now while I prep my 60 Bug, but probably I'll have the 2110 built for the end of September. In the meantime I've slung on a Single Quiet Pack just to make it look and sound a little more cal-look while the hot motor comes together.

Took these photos while out for a cruise with a few fellow Rennwagen Club Members. I'm in love with Lee Appleby's Ghia!I'm guessing its wrong to covet a fellow members car... I'll have to check the club rulebook to see what laws I'm breaking  Grin

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 20:47:59 pm »

It was great to see Peach out in his bug with us finally too - it looks great Peach, but sounds BETTER!

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 00:13:58 am »

Looks great with the new exhaust.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: