The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 22:02:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350747 Posts in 28584 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Bending chromoly tubing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bending chromoly tubing  (Read 2946 times)
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« on: February 18, 2008, 09:56:39 am »

Hi guys.
I need to bend some chromoly tubing for my chute mount,size 1.625" (41mm) with .058" thickness (1.5mm).What should I do to prevent it from going flat and crumple in the bend?Thought maybe heat would help as long as I let the pipe cool down slowly.Fill it with sand combined with heat,or only fill with sand and bend cold?
Anyone..?

Stian

Frallan

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 15:18:05 pm »

Fill with sand, bounce aginst the floor, fill with more sand and over untill you have a very tight fit. Wood plug far in to the tube as final push.
Bend only when metal is red and be sure the room temperature is as hot as possible. A room colder than 20C or with winds, will cool the metal too quick and you will likely get brittle Chrome moly.
It might still be tricky to get nice bends.

Same principle as when welding chrome moly, very tricky, but from your comments, I think you are aware. Good luck.

AutoManics

Race car fabricator - 07780 874435.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 18:30:25 pm »

Alternatively find someone with a proper tube bender and bung them a tenner to do it properly.

Type 34 Ghia - 8.92@150mph.

www.automanics.com
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 21:40:07 pm »

If you dont have a tube bender. try sand bending,first weld slug on end of tube,then fill with wet sand,then shake tube with wood paddle and air hammer on low to settle sand,continue till sand doe's not settle then hammer wood cork into tub . when bendind heat tube on inside of rad. and when starting to cool, heat out side of tube, when tub is cooling it is shrinking and when heating it's expanding. cut extra and practice, hope that help's ya out. cut tube's a little long so you can hang onto

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: