The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 00:59:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350755 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Serpentine Belts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Serpentine Belts?  (Read 3356 times)
plasticblack

« on: February 01, 2010, 21:49:27 pm »

Does anyone on here ave any personal experience of these kits please?

I'd like to know what the beifits are with regard to freeing up a little extra horsepower and extending belt life?  Smiley
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 22:23:50 pm »

I personally see no advantage to the sepentine belt.  I can't see it freeing up any horsepower if it doesn't slip.  If you have an engine that never sees 6k rpm it would probably be fine.  On a high rpm engine I think it is a liability because it won't slip and you will eventually destroy the fan.  If it does not explode it will probably eat the center out of it then the fan will just slip on the shaft at high rpm.  JMO

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Hotrodvw

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:55 am »

I would avoid them.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
plasticblack

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 21:28:37 pm »

Thanks for the info. Smiley
notched

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 23:15:21 pm »

I would avoid them.

X2, I think that they just got trendy.

The main reason that all modern cars run them is that they turn many pulleys. Air, Fan, Power Steering, etc. No reason to have one on the old aircooled motor. Two pulleys, one belt. Simple. Pull it off at the track, make a run, put it back on.

plasticblack

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 18:35:19 pm »

I'm not intending to race at all, but just hoped for a few extra hp from a very simple fit...

I don't love the looks at all but  thought they might be of some use.. Wink
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 23:34:27 pm »

how about hipo engines that lose the belt when revving hard. do they not serve any purpose?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Gabetion2000

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:42 am »

I have ran one for several thousand miles. The only problem I have, is the belt wears on the fan side a little when reving over 6500. Other than that, I love it. It has seen 7k rpm several times. I do take it off at the track though, and put it back on at the end of the strip. I like it because I can put it back on in 10 seconds, as opposed to 2 minutes with the traditional belt setup. 

A and G's Racing
73 Super
vwxtc4free

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:13:58 am »

I have ran one for several thousand miles. The only problem I have, is the belt wears on the fan side a little when reving over 6500. Other than that, I love it. It has seen 7k rpm several times. I do take it off at the track though, and put it back on at the end of the strip. I like it because I can put it back on in 10 seconds, as opposed to 2 minutes with the traditional belt setup. 

x2   I run mine a lil loose and never a problem.

stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:32 am »

how about hipo engines that lose the belt when revving hard. do they not serve any purpose?
When you throw the belt, it keeps you from blowing up your welded fan. I would rather throw the belt than replace the fan, fan shroud, oil cooler, alternator, alternator stand, weld the fins back on the heads, and replace the cylinders because all the fins are busted off. I've seen 2 street cars in one day blow up their welded fans with a serpentine set up. Boy what a mess!!!

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:33:40 am »

I'm not intending to race at all, but just hoped for a few extra hp from a very simple fit...

I don't love the looks at all but  thought they might be of some use.. Wink
You won't make any more power, in fact you may loose power since the belt no longer slips like it is supposed to.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
SlingShot

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:02:13 am »

do they not serve any purpose?

They absolutely do serve a purpose, a purpose of being so overly blinging that it gets you an extra 10hp....with the ladies. 
                                                                                                                                                                                    Allllrrrright! Giggity, giggity, giggity.

Will Race For Beer !!!
plasticblack

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 18:52:40 pm »

Worth every penny then.......... Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: