The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:33:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Brazilian case, dual pressure relief, can oil pickup be swapped out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Brazilian case, dual pressure relief, can oil pickup be swapped out?  (Read 4166 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 03, 2008, 05:57:52 am »

I'm sitting on a nice, cherry STD Brazilian dual pressure relief case, ready to go for 2332cc except it has a puny little oil pickup. Can a late model German pickup be swapped in easily?

And what about bell-mouthing the sump-extension pipe at the bottom end? Good idea?
jr59

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:47:46 am »

HI,
Well no PB if you want to chane to a good old german pick up.It will go in the same place.You will just have to recell (with loctite) the tube running in the case to avoid air scavenging .
I don't trust on bell mounting ,the best way...weld it!
PS: even if it's not the question,control the case for bearing size ...I had some surprise on the last I used (even new "vw factory"!!)

qubek

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:00:34 am »

PS: even if it's not the question,control the case for bearing size ...I had some surprise on the last I used (even new "vw factory"!!)
Me too. One main bearing seat was good, one was fair and one was out of round

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 17:52:58 pm »

HI,
Well no PB if you want to chane to a good old german pick up.It will go in the same place.You will just have to recell (with loctite) the tube running in the case to avoid air scavenging .

NO kidding!!!! I learned that trying to put a motor together last year. Torque case to 27ft lb and crank seized. Center main saddle was tapered!!!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 18:25:16 pm »

HI,

By bell-mouthing the sump pickup, I just mean flaring the opening at the strainer end, so it resembles an IDA velocity stack upside down.
NoBars

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 18:46:32 pm »

On a similar note... how about a pickup in the rear of the sump feeding into the pump via an external line, I saw this somewhere recently (Mike Lawless?) but the pump was a "stage and a half", not a regular pump. Maybe block off the internal input side like when full flowing (blocking the output) and using one of those berg covers that continue the boss across the cover, machined to allow the input. Just someting I have been contemplating while thinking about going through my motor next winter.
If you don't want to go this route,or it is not viable, maybe AN hard line internally with something to hold the pickup in place to prevent vibration cracks?
Anthony

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 18:50:26 pm »

On a similar note... how about a pickup in the rear of the sump feeding into the pump via an external line, I saw this somewhere recently (Mike Lawless?) but the pump was a "stage and a half", not a regular pump. Maybe block off the internal input side like when full flowing (blocking the output) and using one of those berg covers that continue the boss across the cover, machined to allow the input. Just someting I have been contemplating while thinking about going through my motor next winter.
If you don't want to go this route,or it is not viable, maybe AN hard line internally with something to hold the pickup in place to prevent vibration cracks?
Anthony

that's an idea. But this is just a simple street motor. I wonder how efficiently an oil pump would be fed from the face of the gears instead of feeding the shilloutte of the gears? I would think the feed thru side of pump would allow more volume to be fed, especially if pump is modified to fill more area of the the drive and idler gear. Oh well this is beginning to get off topic...
Roman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 19:28:11 pm »

I have an autocraft oil pickup with screen and bellmouth and I really like it. Two years ago I had a nut for the sump that vibrated loose and got sucked up by the pickup.
I wondered why I had so big problems with the oil pressure until I found the problem... With the screen I could have avoided it.
I know JPM is using a Ford Pinto bell mouth/screen on some engines.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 19:49:12 pm »

I have an autocraft oil pickup with screen and bellmouth and I really like it. Two years ago I had a nut for the sump that vibrated loose and got sucked up by the pickup.
I wondered why I had so big problems with the oil pressure until I found the problem... With the screen I could have avoided it.
I know JPM is using a Ford Pinto bell mouth/screen on some engines.

by my VDO gauge (not accurate I am sure) at road going temperature, and 3800rpm, I saw an increase in pressure just under 10psi indicated by removing the stock VW strainer and using just the cattle magnet.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 20:35:38 pm »

HI,

By bell-mouthing the sump pickup, I just mean flaring the opening at the strainer end, so it resembles an IDA velocity stack upside down.

That's what i do to all sump pick-ups and then i weld a half round shield on the pully side to "catch"' oil.

Done ? Not Yet.
Tony M

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 02:22:37 am »

Hey Jim - i have had a few out - and have changed some over - loc tite it back in - what about the mini sump with the drop sump cover w/ screened pick-up - all ways wanted to try one

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Peter

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:31:33 am »

i heard that the mesh of brazilian screen has bigger holes than the germans screens..
i thought about drilling holes in the screen that are small enough so a nut can not pass...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: