The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:33:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Building a nice 1500cc?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Building a nice 1500cc?  (Read 34836 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 00:55:41 am »

@DKK Fred: thanks for the comment.  At that time I wanted a cool enginebay, but I had no butget as all of the money was going to the Ghia (and still is Roll Eyes), so with an investment of second hand 356c air cleaners, I had something special.

Just beautifully done, Philip. The engine bay looks perfect. Eventually, I'll get some factory looking air cleaners like that.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:47 am »

Wout,
A couple of suggestions with your 1500 combo.  If you have access to some sort of die grinder or dremmel, pick up a valve spring removal tool and remove your exhaust valves.  Then remove the sharp edges in the exhaust ports.  The ports have a lot of material behind the valve seat and this is cheap horsepower.  If the guides are OK, re-lap all the valves and re-install.  This is all very inexpensive to do.

When you reassemble the heads, toss on a set of heavy duty single valve springs.

Other suggestions:
- Consider 8-dowelling the flywheel and crank.  You may be able to do this inexpensively by doing it yourself.
- Carefully inspect the rods.  Depending on the engine's mileage they may need to be rebuilt.
- As suggested by others, consider having the flywheel lightened to 12-14 lbs.  It will help improve accelleration on a low hp engine.
- A nice set of single port Kadrons will perform awesome, even with a stock cam.  Never thought ICT's were any good... Grin
- If you can swing it, toss in an Engle W100 cam and some new or re-ground lifters (budget).
- Pick up a decent header/extractor system.  I wouldn't spend the money on a merged header for this combo unless you get it for free. Cheesy
- See if you can pick up a German 009 (or 010).  They're out there for budget builds.

You will have a blast with this combo.  It will have great throttle response and perform nicely.  Have fun!!!

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 06:52:45 am »

This last seems very good advice!!!

Go for it, Wout.

Philip
Wout

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:15 am »

Wout,
A couple of suggestions with your 1500 combo.  If you have access to some sort of die grinder or dremmel, pick up a valve spring removal tool and remove your exhaust valves.  Then remove the sharp edges in the exhaust ports.  The ports have a lot of material behind the valve seat and this is cheap horsepower.  If the guides are OK, re-lap all the valves and re-install.  This is all very inexpensive to do.

When you reassemble the heads, toss on a set of heavy duty single valve springs.

Other suggestions:
- Consider 8-dowelling the flywheel and crank.  You may be able to do this inexpensively by doing it yourself.
- Carefully inspect the rods.  Depending on the engine's mileage they may need to be rebuilt.
- As suggested by others, consider having the flywheel lightened to 12-14 lbs.  It will help improve accelleration on a low hp engine.
- A nice set of single port Kadrons will perform awesome, even with a stock cam.  Never thought ICT's were any good... Grin
- If you can swing it, toss in an Engle W100 cam and some new or re-ground lifters (budget).
- Pick up a decent header/extractor system.  I wouldn't spend the money on a merged header for this combo unless you get it for free. Cheesy
- See if you can pick up a German 009 (or 010).  They're out there for budget builds.

You will have a blast with this combo.  It will have great throttle response and perform nicely.  Have fun!!!

Thanks!!! I can't wait to get on the little thing  Wink.
The Lounge is such a great forum!!!  Shocked
Hope some day I can help someone to!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
fredy66

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:11 am »

x2

arabia slugs
Wout

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 09:28:42 am »

A dremel 300 is in the house and the building of the garage is going well but now the temperature is going down so no good for the constructionworks :-(. Hope I can finish the 'stonework' before winter, so I can put a roof on it  Roll Eyes.

gr
Wout
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:25:29 am by Wout » Logged

Aircooled vw's for life!
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 20:54:02 pm »

Are you building and intire house after that garage ? Wink

Looks like something very huge!!!

Philip
Flatline-Lowriders.
Belgium
Wout

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 00:03:11 am »

No not that big, only space for 5 cars  Grin

House is on the right side out of sight.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
vicious cycle

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 22:08:53 pm »

"Want to build a good engine for my 67 callook Karmann Ghia (still to build  ), want it nice and clean but don't want to kill the whole budget of the restoration of the car. So any suggestions or idea's would be very welcome! I'm not looking for a very powerfull engine, have my 68 beetle to play with  , so I'm rather looking for a good reliable single port engine. Found myself a good H-engine, so dismantle this one and let it measured will be the first step I think? I'm not sure if I want small double carb's or not, but it's cleaner IMO. I want the car pas daily mot so that why I want the H-case."

I built a 1500 in the 80's , F case, SP heads , polished chambers and intake, Engle 100, and stock pre smog single 32 Solex carb with Old Berg headers, Cut the heads for 9:1, 010 distributor recurved by FAT. Ran cool and strong for years, no leaks or issues, The 83's have thicker walls than 1600 jugs and seem to love life.

D.C.
Wout

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

"Want to build a good engine for my 67 callook Karmann Ghia (still to build  ), want it nice and clean but don't want to kill the whole budget of the restoration of the car. So any suggestions or idea's would be very welcome! I'm not looking for a very powerfull engine, have my 68 beetle to play with  , so I'm rather looking for a good reliable single port engine. Found myself a good H-engine, so dismantle this one and let it measured will be the first step I think? I'm not sure if I want small double carb's or not, but it's cleaner IMO. I want the car pas daily mot so that why I want the H-case."

I built a 1500 in the 80's , F case, SP heads , polished chambers and intake, Engle 100, and stock pre smog single 32 Solex carb with Old Berg headers, Cut the heads for 9:1, 010 distributor recurved by FAT. Ran cool and strong for years, no leaks or issues, The 83's have thicker walls than 1600 jugs and seem to love life.

D.C.

Thanks!
When it stops freezing I can build of my garage  Roll Eyes

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Rich_h

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 22:49:28 pm »

Hello.
There is no need for a counterweigthed crank in a single port motor of that kind. Just get the stock crank/flywheel/clutch balanced. Rods and pistons too. Personally I like lightening the flywheel 2 lbs (1 kg) on these engines for faster rpm pick up.
I like the CB2280 cam. Very nice idle and good overall torque (Slightly less top end over the W100, but better low end)
Clean up the ports, shorten intake guides 5-7 mm. cut back valves, 3 angle valve job 8,5 - 1 CR.
Yes on the ICT´s or 34 mm PCI´s/ Brazil Solex or even good condition type 3 carbs.

I think a 1˝" header will be too large. It will kill the lower end torque, which is what these engines are st up for originally. I would stay with a regular 1 3/8. Its also cheaper, and today you can get a variety of good mufflers for it.
T
hi just starting my sp 1500 head and was reading this thread lots of good info one question on the cut down intake guides wear quicker???

my other hop-up are t3 twin carbs and ratio rockers
fingers crossed ready for ebi 4 to
Wout

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 18:10:20 pm »

After a long search, I found some carbs  Grin

Garage is allmost ready, so can start building my 1500  Wink.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
whirligig

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 20:28:39 pm »

want to put together a 1641 with single port heads on H block for my 66 bug ,will be built as a no budget cal looker as if back in the late 60s early 70s buy some one who wanted "the look" but didnt have the money.have a reground cam (dont know specs but back of cam is close to core!)and a bugspray carb/manafold and a stock looking exhaust that has slip joints instead of normal flares .old skool rules.collecting bits ,have a rev counter that measures volts and dwell and some smiths gauges oil presure with a pipe ,ammeter ,volts and clock in plastic panel for under dash. Cool

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
Wout

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:13 am »

Found these at SCC, hope they wil be cool on the 1500  Wink

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
andy198712

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 19:58:18 pm »

very nice! i guess you could find some NOS stickers, strip and powder coat them and apply new decals.... fresh out the factory look....?

so whats you plan then?

i didnt see it mentioned but if you balancing the bottom end you may aswel CC the heads and let the compression match your  desired cam? have you got the 1500 gearbox?

i guess its easy to get carried away on an engine, once you change one part, you wonder why not another and it snowballs!

best of luck and enjoy that amazing garage!
Wout

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:19 am »

Hey Andy

My Karmann is a 67 with original a 1500 engine so I presume it's also a 1500 gearbox  Lips Sealed.

Want to build an engine that has the looks of missing a few parts  Grin, so as simple as possible. Don't know about the tde-kit because original it's painted 'hamerite blue/green'. It's a very rare set so I should paint them back in the original color but then the engine won't look that simple anymore...   Undecided

Thanks about the garage, but it's not finished yet but it starts looking something  Grin. I'm doing it all by myself so it takes time  Sad, otherwise it would be unaffordable. Finished the outher wall 2 weeks ago and mounted the door and windows a few days back, so bit by bit it's coming all together.

About the specs of the 1500, I don't know yet what I'm gonna do. Think I will see when I get there  Grin. First thing on the list is to dissemble the block and see what I get. Then start reading (again) all the nice comments there are post here on topic...

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
andy198712

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:34 am »

Hey Andy

My Karmann is a 67 with original a 1500 engine so I presume it's also a 1500 gearbox  Lips Sealed.

Want to build an engine that has the looks of missing a few parts  Grin, so as simple as possible. Don't know about the tde-kit because original it's painted 'hamerite blue/green'. It's a very rare set so I should paint them back in the original color but then the engine won't look that simple anymore...   Undecided

Thanks about the garage, but it's not finished yet but it starts looking something  Grin. I'm doing it all by myself so it takes time  Sad, otherwise it would be unaffordable. Finished the outher wall 2 weeks ago and mounted the door and windows a few days back, so bit by bit it's coming all together.

About the specs of the 1500, I don't know yet what I'm gonna do. Think I will see when I get there  Grin. First thing on the list is to dissemble the block and see what I get. Then start reading (again) all the nice comments there are post here on topic...

gr
Wout

Hi,

you must be a sucker for punishment making it out of bricks instead of blocks  Grin looks nice though!
Wout

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 11:03:05 am »

Hey Andy

My Karmann is a 67 with original a 1500 engine so I presume it's also a 1500 gearbox  Lips Sealed.

Want to build an engine that has the looks of missing a few parts  Grin, so as simple as possible. Don't know about the tde-kit because original it's painted 'hamerite blue/green'. It's a very rare set so I should paint them back in the original color but then the engine won't look that simple anymore...   Undecided

Thanks about the garage, but it's not finished yet but it starts looking something  Grin. I'm doing it all by myself so it takes time  Sad, otherwise it would be unaffordable. Finished the outher wall 2 weeks ago and mounted the door and windows a few days back, so bit by bit it's coming all together.

About the specs of the 1500, I don't know yet what I'm gonna do. Think I will see when I get there  Grin. First thing on the list is to dissemble the block and see what I get. Then start reading (again) all the nice comments there are post here on topic...

gr
Wout

Hi,

you must be a sucker for punishment making it out of bricks instead of blocks  Grin looks nice though!

Cheesy, I like to do it properly, so that's why  Grin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:05:02 am by Wout » Logged

Aircooled vw's for life!
Dyno-Don

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 17:34:38 pm »

My temporary engine (it's either a 1,500 or 1,600cc... don't know, haven't taken it apart to find out) is single port & stock, but I switched the carbs for the 34mm ICT Webers, a German Bosch .009, and a custom made 1 5/8" A-1 Sidewinder exhaust with matching diameter flanged lightweight heater boxes. It gets great mileage (long as my foot's not in it), and does actually very well on the freeways and other high speed roads. Beats driving a bone stock engine while I'm slowly building my bigger engine.

If you can, get a set of Kadron or ICT carbs... then go have some fun. Great low end torque with those heads, too.
[/b]
Hey Fred, I know this is a case of Holy Batman Old Thread Recall, but I am curious about your statement that this set up got "Great Mileage" - Do you recall what mileage this combo was getting you in everyday type driving? Thanks, Don
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 22:52:11 pm »

Hi Don, I have had  a very cool project as of recent with stock to modified improvements. With a stock 1600 dual port single carb 25/27 mpg....with dual type 3 solex 29/32 mpg... with kadrons  32/35mpg...  stock muffler/71 sedan .  In the Early 70's  With my single port 1600 and 4:37 r/p and stock ported heads and stock carb with engle 100 cam ran 16:90 and 25/28mpg... with kadrons 15:90's 32/35mpg...with cam change to engle 120 and 148,114 gears ran 15:01 and got 38 city and 41.6 highway   IM not a fan of ict's as related to your concern but love the solex 32's and kadrons as their performance values are much superior. Hope this helps,  Dyno Don
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:18:21 am by dyno don » Logged
Wout

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 21:47:28 pm »

Start...

Finally I found some time to take a look at the (very cheap and dirty) 1500 that I bought some time ago  Grin. Found out that the wrong carb who was with it, is a 34pict3  Grin lucky me.

Trial fit the TDE-kit but it isn't plug'n'play  Huh, the inlet's does not fit the thinware and with the tinware removed, there's a small part of the head that's in the way. No big deal but strange IMO...

I also have to look for another fanhouse, there's not enough space for the carbs  Huh, have a 30hp-style somewhere that I will try later on.

So anyone who has experience with fitting a TDE-singleport kit on a 1500, please let me know  Wink

Thanks!

gr

Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:16 am »

Hey Fred, I know this is a case of Holy Batman Old Thread Recall, but I am curious about your statement that this set up got "Great Mileage" - Do you recall what mileage this combo was getting you in everyday type driving? Thanks, Don

Sorry, Don, I just now saw this post that you made. To answer your question, I never really took the time to calculate the exact mileage. But I know that single port engines with single barrel carbs get close to stock mileage. Again... as long as the driver drives it mellow. Otherwise, it's quite obvious what can happen. But still... not bad. I still have the same engine (page one on this thread) and it's very reliable and gets good mileage when I drive it normal. Which is not too often. 'Cause even at my age, I still like to hear the carbs open up in the tunnels around my town. I'll never outgrow that.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
cedric

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »

Hey wout,
I will come and look for fitting the tde and more just tel me when.....
Greets cedric
Wout

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 17:41:48 pm »

Allways welcome  Cheesy!!!

Time is the problem  Undecided

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Crazy Mc.Stairs

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 20:12:23 pm »

Allways welcome  Cheesy!!!

Time is the problem  Undecided

gr
Wout

Hi Wout,

Check this topic..

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,19176.0.html

If you need some help... you know where to find me! Wink

Ciaoo,
Christoph
Wout

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 20:59:41 pm »

Yes I do  Wink.

Look at these TDE inlets (found on the samba, not mine), there's a piece that inserts the head and there's a small gab that match the little piece on the head (hope you all understand what I mean  Roll Eyes), mine are flat and doesn't have that little gap  Huh. Can make them fit when I let the heads flatten a bit (the surface isn't flat) but don't understand why my set is different to that from the samba (green one is mine)?

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Neil Davies

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 13:10:59 pm »

Has someone cut them off for use with a smaller motor? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Wout

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 21:51:33 pm »

Hope not  Roll Eyes, doesn't look that way.

My dualports are olso flat, but that's normal IMO.

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Wout

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 21:58:21 pm »

Someone did cut them of  Undecided

Found this picture on the net...

But when I let the heads flatten it won't be a problem to use them?

Thanks for all the help!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
Wout

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 22:14:03 pm »

Send an email to TDE to ask about the inlets...   Grin

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!