The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:37:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350708 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  MSD 2 stage launch control problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MSD 2 stage launch control problem  (Read 3108 times)
runningmonkey

« on: February 16, 2016, 13:52:57 pm »

Can anyone help?

I just installed a MSD 6AL-2 the one with 2 step launch control, but I can't get the launch control to work? I have checked all the switches and wires and all seems good.

When I first started the car the 2 step launcher was set a 3900 rpm, I press the switch, rev the engine and it worked and limited the engine at 3900, Happy days, I then adjusted the it to 2000 rev tried again and nothing Sad I tried a few combinations at different rev's 3000 - 4000- 5000- etc but got nothing? 

Thanks in advance 
richie

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 14:49:46 pm »

Can anyone help?

I just installed a MSD 6AL-2 the one with 2 step launch control, but I can't get the launch control to work? I have checked all the switches and wires and all seems good.

When I first started the car the 2 step launcher was set a 3900 rpm, I press the switch, rev the engine and it worked and limited the engine at 3900, Happy days, I then adjusted the it to 2000 rev tried again and nothing Sad I tried a few combinations at different rev's 3000 - 4000- 5000- etc but got nothing? 

Thanks in advance 

Did you set it to 4 cylinder?

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
dragvw2180

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 15:19:42 pm »

Possibly a bad switch or ground . I would use an ohm meter to check the circuit  by putting a lead on both wires (Blue wire from box and ground from switch ) and then push the button. If that passes I would check your ground connection . My MSD box is older than yours so the wire color may be different .  Mike McCarthy
runningmonkey

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 13:54:28 pm »

Yep set to 4 cylinder richie.

Iv been over the wiring and tested it, I made a dummy circuit to test the switch and that all fine, The earth for the MSD goes straight to the battery so I cant see that being a problem, I will re check all the wiring next time am in the garage but to me it looking like a fault box. 

runningmonkey

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:26:22 am »

I had another go a getting this working last night by basicly starting again from scratch and and checking all the wires and the switch. As far as I can see everthing should be working but Iv still got no launch control Sad

The only thing I can now think of is there is a wire on the control box that am not using (white/blue) Which is for something called a Hall effect, However the instruction tell me that this wire is not used?  Huh
richie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 13:19:13 pm »

No that wire is not used

What do you have the other limiters set at?  have you tried putting it back to your original settings when it worked?

cheers Richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
hotstreetvw

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 13:38:14 pm »

Not used as Richie said. I have a digital 6 plus, it requires 12v applied to the blue trigger wire to trigger the two step.  Build a simple circuit, 12v to a bulb, bulb to free wire.  Ground the free wire, light on, your getting power, now apply the free wire to the two step trigger wire.

The way my circuit is setup only apples 9-10v, due to using a switch on, trigger off pull up circuit.

I don't think it's possible you fired the circuit, internally it has resistance, which limits current.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: