The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 14:25:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Ultimate Street breather...?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Street breather...?  (Read 21546 times)
65Pearl

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 16:33:55 pm »

And why do people still breath from their valve covers?

The Porsche 912 did, but only from the 1-2 side. What's the harm?

Both valve covers were vented on Super 90's

Gents, what are then the suggested "optimum" spots from which one should connect to breatherbox?
I'd really like to learn something new. Good topic.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 01:48:34 am »

For whats its worth, forty years ago we retained the stock road draft tube.  And vented the valve covers with meter long 13mm hoses arched up and over the axles, with the ends wedged between the torsion housing and the pan. Cheap and effective before "puke boxes" became popular, though
I doubt race legal.

Currently I use 19 & 22 mm hose with a Berg breather....everything's bone dry so far. When I put the tin back on I'll probably use dual breathers
in the fender wells. 
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 18:14:13 pm »

For whats its worth, forty years ago we retained the stock road draft tube. 

Last time I checked the size on that thing it was 16mm in diameter, and there is also that vent hose up to the air filter, that's another 10mm of ventilation on the stock engine.
If you were to replace these two with AN6 line you would need nine (9)!! hoses to have the same internal area...  or five AN8.
It's hard make a bigger system than the vw already has...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
65Pearl

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 11:04:45 am »

Again, Please advice me, what are the better and suggested spots to do it?
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41:39 pm »

Again, Please advice me, what are the better and suggested spots to do it?

You should vent where the pressure is created - your crank case. If you choose to vent your covers you will only open up a "highway" for the oil to move freely up to your heads. When the head(s) are filled up the oil will continue to follow the easiest route which is..... your breather line. Why? because the oil is not allowed back to the engine case through the 4 lines it should use (pushrod tubes) due to the pressure inside.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
pupjoint

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »

overkill...but i dont have any other engine to fit the breather..

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 13:24:58 pm »

Old School rules !
 Grin
65Pearl

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 13:26:25 pm »

Thanks for clarifying BB, makes cense.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 14:00:19 pm »

Kalle, how about venting only the 1-2 rocker cover to breather box, and on that breather box you mount one of those small K&N filters? wouldn't that break up the vaccuum (as the system is now allowed to breathe instead of solely drain back) and in doing so there shouldn't be much reason for the oil to travel "all the way" into the hose instead of the easy way (pushrod tubes)?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 18:42:48 pm »

I see no reason why you should went one side if you breath your crank case efficiently enough. The question is, how do you know when you   
have enough breathing and of course this vary from engine to engine. With a asthmatic breathing system you would see oil coming out "everywhere" On my current engine I only breath from the original spot, the alternator tower, plus from the fuel pump cover. I'm using a CSP tower breather with a HUGE filter (40mm) The engine is bone dry

Kalle, how about venting only the 1-2 rocker cover to breather box, and on that breather box you mount one of those small K&N filters? wouldn't that break up the vaccuum (as the system is now allowed to breathe instead of solely drain back) and in doing so there shouldn't be much reason for the oil to travel "all the way" into the hose instead of the easy way (pushrod tubes)?

65Pearl

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 18:47:53 pm »

Marvelous! Just the info I was after. Spot on!
Thanks BB
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 19:01:02 pm »

excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by the original spot? originally the oil bath filter is vented, do you mean this? but that doesn't work with stacks, right?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 19:55:33 pm »

Smiley

Sorry, my fault. From the original spot I mean the alternator tower. I used first two filters (1 40mm and 1 more with a AN8 fitting to the breather box. I have now plugged the AN filter. My engine is a 2332 turbo.

excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by the original spot? originally the oil bath filter is vented, do you mean this? but that doesn't work with stacks, right?

Shane

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:14 am »

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but does anyone know if Sil is still making his breather boxes. I’ve tried called the number this thread a few times but just rings.

I’d really like to pick up another one.
Garrick Clark

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2021, 19:13:14 pm »

Well, I'm not sure who sil is ,but i like the breather that's fitted to the red bug,
puke oil fills the box, it breaths at the top and drains back into the engine.
I've discovered I need something like that after a short motorway run.

Air cooled Engine builder
Donny B.

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2021, 19:25:21 pm »

I don't believe he is sbtill making them.  I got the first one.  He made a number of them, but they were more expensive than most were willing to pay ($350) I think.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Shane

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2021, 18:43:30 pm »

I don't believe he is sbtill making them.  I got the first one.  He made a number of them, but they were more expensive than most were willing to pay ($350) I think.

I had one on my 66 20 years and it was a great piece. I hate to hear he’s not making them anymore.

Karlos99

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 20:57:28 pm »

I’ve got a fast fab breather box on the fire wall of my 1970 bus which is connected to a 2110 ida motor. That seems to have worked well for many years
Sarge

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2021, 03:23:33 am »

In the old days, we just ran a hose from one valve cover to the other over the top of the trans where we'd cut a small notch in the hose to vent the covers.  I still have it that way on my current rig... it's cheap and it works.  My $.02

DKP III
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: