The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:19:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  65 bug with a little bit a laughing gas (work in progress)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 65 bug with a little bit a laughing gas (work in progress)  (Read 9279 times)
fastbus

« on: April 17, 2012, 21:32:38 pm »

Hi all,i have been lurking in the back ground for sometime just reading post, from all the like minded peeps on here.
I must say i'm loving the reading on here for my passion of old VW's

I have been collecting vw's for the best part of my driving life (now 41  Cry ) and i would like to show you guys what i'm building.

I purchased my 65 some 3 or so yrs ago and i have had to get a fair amount of welding to the channels and post (being a uk car).
The 65 pan needs a lot of work (now in storage) so i used a late 67 1500 pan. By doing this it's pushed the project on.

I would like love a Hi Po webber powered type 1 motor but for now i will use his younger brother.
Being a fan of the wbx motor, i fancied using a stock 2.1 injection motor with a single fogger nitrous kit. We will see what improvements i can make with it
It may not be everyone's cup of tea but i would like to think it will be fun in my old cal look bug for not a lot of dollar's

I wanted to put a set of gas burners on it with porsche 5x 130 disc's and drums to help with fitment, but i was going through my collection of parts i have and i will have it l running on 4.5 gt's at the front on 145 smart car tyres and 5.5 gt rims to the rear with 205's on the back.
(I would like some opinions on my wheel choice so please don't be shy to have your say!)

The bug had been left in a garage for over 13yrs in wigan up north before i brought back to the south east. So i have gave it a bit of a chance and i'm putting some life back in her. Now with a lowered beam and down 1 spline on the rear i think its starting to look a bit harder.

The wbx motor is gradually going in and i may eventually put my other wbx motor in it. Thats the one my mate Marco built me 5 odd years ago with added forced improvements  Wink
Here is a couple of pics of work in progress.

13.66@102mph in my old T3 crew cab builders truck!
13.01@109mph in my bug so far!
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 22:12:46 pm »

Good choice of motor  Cool

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
fastbus

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:16 am »

Thanks Matt, prof is in the pudding as they say!  Cool

If i win the euro on friday i will be down to collect the the work of art you have built  Grin
Good luck with the sale fella. 

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 21:14:09 pm »

Cheers Paul  Wink
Get some extra lotto tickets in Wink

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
fastbus

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 17:45:39 pm »

Small up date on those who are intrested.

Just picked up a new 200mm type 4 style flywheel and stage 2 Kennedy clutch with a disc.
Hope to fit these next week and then the engine can stay in.
Also i can start running pipe work for the radiator thats going in the wheel well.
Pipe work will be 35mm copper that will run in both pan channels and connect up to a Mk2 golf rad.

Once the water is all plumbed in i will get to grips with the wiring.

Fuel tank will need some adjustment to allow for flow and return of the efi and then there should be some action.

This should be a nice combo as the 2.1 dj has bundles of low down torque 130lbs at 2800 rpm so with a shot of 50 shot of n2o
it should light up the tyres.

Some pics to come next week

fastbus

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 20:59:15 pm »

Well the nitrous bug has been in the corner of the lock up for some time now.
Family duties have taken a priority as of late and the toys have had to take a long summer break.

I managed to get a few minutes to fit the flywheel, clutch and release bearing i recently bought.
Engine is now in and bolted up so i can start with running some coolant lines.

Fuel tank mod is also in the frame for jobs to do!

fastbus

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:35:52 am »

Had a couple of hours down the lock up today and had a play with the n2o bug.  Grin
I dug out the ecu and engine loom for the 2.1 wasser and started to sort out the points where to mount the control boxes and cables.
Having had a lot of play time on my T3 buses in the past has helped with sorting out whats what in the wiring department.
I have started to get a buzz for this bug again.
Some more pics to follow for the interested loungers.
 Wink

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:11:25 am by fastbus » Logged

fastbus

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 22:47:13 pm »

Gradually coming together.

fastbus

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:17:33 am »

Happy new year loungers!

Managed to get a couple of hours on laughing gas bug this week.
I have started on the necessary pipe work with some pics to follow.
I'm running 2 lengths of 35mm copper pipe down the passenger side of the car to meet a radiator at the spare wheel area of the car.
I have soldered most of the bends needed to curve around the floor pan and up into the transmission area.
Just need to make or find a couple of appropriate clamps needed to attach the pipes to the pan to secure.

fastbus

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:30 am »

Right then there been a slight change of plan!

I'm pulling the wbx motor out of Laughing Gas as my german look project is in need of the new clutch and flywheel.
I have a 1302s that just come back from the paint shop and it taken priority over the laughing gas bug.

I have been playing with the oxyboxer route and its the way i'm going with "Laughing Gas"
I will build it as a high revving 2110 with the standard wbx crank knife edged and balanced.
I will go for a set of cb race rods, choice of cam not know as of yet.
I'm looking around for a pair of heads so if there is any pout there please feel free to contact me with what you have for sale.  

I have started prepping a case by removing the water jackets.
This is a practice case so if i come across any problems i can iron them out with the good one!

I have drilled and plugged the wbx stud patern.

I need to flash off the plug infills and then i need to re drill for the type 1 style head stud pattern.

Next job on the list is the cylinder bore shims. These will come from Rocky Jennings so i can use the 94mm type 1 barrels.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:13:50 am by fastbus » Logged

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 00:08:41 am »

I dragged this out the other day from behind the shed........

Did you take the water jackets off all the way down to be flush with the cases, or did you leave a bit of jacket left for strength?
Any advice on how to get the damn rusty studs out?  Huh
What material did you use for the stud-hole fillers for re-drilling?

You seem to have done this once or twice before!  Wink
Good luck with the toy.
fastbus

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:23:52 am »

Well, some of my research is based on Rocky Jennings Web site and basic trial by elimination.
This engine case has been in the making for some time now but due to work and recent family issues it was shelved.

Well its back on now and here we go!
Your corroded studs may create you some problems on removal, but heat will help with cracking them out the block.

I have machined down the water jackets where the base of the wbx barrels would seat.
I have definitely taken a bit too much on the bell housing end on one case side but i'm sure its nothing that a bit of welding won't sort out!  Cheesy
I'm going for the smaller capacity engine but if you want to go with the bigger 4ins bore the you can use 101.6mm barrels and not have to shim the case barrels bores.
Apparently the wbx's stud pattern is the same as the Autocraft 910. The 910 heads come with 2 extra stud holes top and bottom.

I'm going with plugging the case with alloy bungs and then re-drilling for the Type 1 stud pattern.
I'm going to use the Rocky Jennings shims so i can use the 94mm barrels. I will then get my mate to give it a Type1 lifter bore conversion.

I love experimenting with engines

Grin 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: