The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:40:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cold Air Ducting for engine & carbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cold Air Ducting for engine & carbs  (Read 3818 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: August 01, 2007, 17:34:43 pm »

Any creative ideas to feed cold air to carb intakes and/or fan intake....full body street sedan...?

Always wanted to come up with a way to isolate carb stacks in cold air.... maybe with trays and vents in decklid?

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 18:38:03 pm »

How about from the rear engine tin? If you wanted to make it a major engineering project you could make some metal ducting like the T3s use and run it up to the carbs. Or something like the ducting used for a dual carb turbo blow through setup. Use the hats and run the tubing forwards to the rear engine tin. Then you could actually run a real air filter. Of course you could also do rear quarter scoops but I don't like the way they look on a street car. I am interested to see what Deano has planned for the scoops in the C pillars of his '67.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 19:20:10 pm »

There's a tech article on the other site about ducting up to the fan intake.  I like this idea for cooling, and will work something out on my car when I get a chance.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
jick

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 19:39:38 pm »

here's mine.....an unfinished old pic...all i have to hand right now....

the ducts now have 2.5" polished stainless tubing curving over the rear seat and thru' the bulkhead near the carbs.

i just wanted to do something a little different.....

hmmm.......dunno what's happened there??!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 19:43:55 pm by jick » Logged

jick

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 19:49:28 pm »

thats better!

White knuckle

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 22:06:53 pm »

Any creative ideas to feed cold air to carb intakes and/or fan intake....full body street sedan...?

Always wanted to come up with a way to isolate carb stacks in cold air.... maybe with trays and vents in decklid?

I had scoops on rear inner wings so carbs could be adjusted easy and air could get in if interested i will give more info if i can help u
ESH

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 13:50:41 pm »

I had scoops on rear inner wings so carbs could be adjusted easy and air could get in if interested i will give more info if i can help u

I don't think they're that great on a mileage car, even with a 'filter' of some sort, panels with full closure are OK for access but dont address the air issue. The only solutions that seem to work well and don't create new issues are pretty ugly and aren't applicable to a 'Looker' as such but that's no reason not to use them, just depends on your views on 'form versus function'. On that front you could always glue 'glass scoops to the body and technically speaking "retain the original steel bodywork".

Smiley
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 15:31:40 pm »

There's a tech article on the other site about ducting up to the fan intake.  I like this idea for cooling, and will work something out on my car when I get a chance.

yeah years ago I followed instructions in old Berg Technical book...mounting hoses under my car and routing them to front tin. I don't know how much difference it made except getting my motor really dirty.

I don't want a dirty motor.   Sad

Mike H.

Sven was right.
stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 16:47:25 pm »

You know, Ive really, really  been thinking about making some kind of air box around my IDAs attached to my vert lid. They would be sealed off and filtered to the vents on my lid only. The fan would still use the vents below the back window. I need to get off my arse and make it happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 16:54:33 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: