The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:19:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  After Reading Russels post.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: After Reading Russels post.....  (Read 41210 times)
Jeff68

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 14:05:14 pm »

Wasn't going to comment but......I agree with Russel and Bernard....I will also say that a "true" survivor car with faded paint or patina (not disrepair, owner inflicted enhanced damage, or obvious abuse) is very cool. In Florida I have seen way too many of SL cars and especially buses that are indeed dangerous and victims of the owners further abuse of the vehicle. I think if they would put as much effort in to repairing the vehicle properly it would be pretty nice, but after talking with some owners of SL cars they're not interested in doing much work at all. I just don't like it when the car is made worse. I never understand the lifestyle bullsh%t either, but too each his / her own.  Roll Eyes
mg

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 14:55:30 pm »

Just because it is an affordable VW bug doesn't mean the paint job is any more affordable.
The cost of a paint job could surpass the value of the SL.
Far cheaper to do nothing and just save up half a tank a gas and take it as is to the next VW event?
Maybe some of the SL look cars are owned by enthusiasts that can only afford to participate at that level?

Hopefully some of the SL cars are leading to an early ruin for poor fitting inferior aftermarket parts.  Cheesy
Stripped66

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 23:06:47 pm »

Not easy to do, my opinion of crap will be different to another's but for me it's easy, a race car is not a fast street car it's a race car, so should be all about the go, if your race car can be beaten by a street car it's a crap race car....

Index and bracket racing must give you fits  Grin
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:16 am »

Not easy to do, my opinion of crap will be different to another's but for me it's easy, a race car is not a fast street car it's a race car, so should be all about the go, if your race car can be beaten by a street car it's a crap race car....

Cheesy
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:21 am »

Looking back to my day, seeing two nine-second cars race to within 2/100ths of their index is great racing. Seeing a stock Polo against a Skoda Fabia is not...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Russell

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 11:44:33 am »

Cheesy

LOL Smiley

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:09 am »

Looking back to my day, seeing two nine-second cars race to within 2/100ths of their index is great racing. Seeing a stock Polo against a Skoda Fabia is not...

even funnier LOL  Cheesy

Best Regards

Russell
VWGlassee

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 21:32:08 pm »

Where do you live, Yannick?
Feel free to stop by in Muizen!
There are 2 lookers living here (almost)

I just moved to Oud-Turnhout Peter.
Do you have a link so I can follow your Projects? Or FB? Smiley

Hope to meet you this season!

See U soon  Cool

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
old dub lover

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2015, 00:39:54 am »

Agreed Smiley

The vwdrc in the uk is a joke at the mo, I love bracket racing but not with stock cars zzzzzzzz
old dub lover

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 00:46:17 am »

One thing I think hasn't helped with the SL "scene" in the uk is the abolishment of the MOT test on pre 1960 cars

We had a car in last week that proved this to be an absolute joke

1953 oval so doesn't need an MOT

This was a uk RHD car

Its was in for lowering

In the course of the car car being with us we gave it a once over

Remember this car is MOT exempt and being used in the uk

It had:-

No rear lights
No brake lights
No indicators
No number plate light
One leaky wheel cylinder
Most of the battery tray missing
The opposite side floor was rotten
The end of one heater channel was rotten
The frame head lower plate was rotten

But hey it was all fine as its MOT exempt!!!!!!!!!

A proper joke!

SL breads dangerous cars IMO
dannyboy

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:46 am »

One thing I think hasn't helped with the SL "scene" in the uk is the abolishment of the MOT test on pre 1960 cars

We had a car in last week that proved this to be an absolute joke

1953 oval so doesn't need an MOT

This was a uk RHD car

Its was in for lowering

In the course of the car car being with us we gave it a once over

Remember this car is MOT exempt and being used in the uk

It had:-

No rear lights
No brake lights
No indicators
No number plate light
One leaky wheel cylinder
Most of the battery tray missing
The opposite side floor was rotten
The end of one heater channel was rotten
The frame head lower plate was rotten

But hey it was all fine as its MOT exempt!!!!!!!!!

A proper joke!

SL breads dangerous cars IMO

just make sure its not youf legs that fall through the floor when its driving along.... thats only going to end one way  Shocked

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
old dub lover

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 11:22:14 am »

just make sure its not youf legs that fall through the floor when its driving along.... thats only going to end one way  Shocked

i wont be driving it lol

worse thing is i told the customer and they said " thats ok its mot exempt" !!!
vwhelmot

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »

The lack of an MOT is a complete joke just for those reasons. I didn't mind taking my 56 down to the mot station every year for a check, even though I knew my car is spot on mechanically and bodily. The government here have got their heads up their arses. There are so many people who own vintage cars that do not know one end of a spanner from another but its fine to just carry on driving not knowing what`s going on underneath.
             Then there are the people in the SL scene who think that's great to drive a shit heap with no floor or brakes. It looks bollocks and it is bollocks.   I don't care what people say when its something like " I cant afford to fix it up" , that`s bullshit.   I had a vw bug from 17 onwards on the road and always did my utmost to look after it , it was always safe and I put effort into it. Its pure laziness, you have to put the effort in to get the results.  Yes , the prices of decent cars have gone up, but that's relative. I used to have to pay a whole months wages on insurance every January and that used to be hard and it was only £300 but at the time , for me that was expensive.
EddieT67

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 13:14:31 pm »

I'm 24 and would like to think my '67 has a strong cal-look influence to the stance and tyre choice etc but run merely the stock nos mathcin 1300 SP motor..!

I think you have hit the nail on the head mate, I'm practically a freak for no having a slammed O.G paint bug..!

I also think youre right on age - on word : insurance!

No way would i get insured on a 2336 EFI powered lump so i havent even bothered, yet!

turnign 25 will hopefully see my chase a long held dream of putting a 'nice' 1910/14/15 EFI unti together and upgrading the brakes, thing is theres getting on for £10k in that sentance with the right trans too...!
Jeff68

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 13:55:02 pm »

^^^^The above is what I'm talking about. I've seen many SL cars in Florida like this. Most of the owners know how to repair the cars properly and from what I've seen the owners of these cars could definitely afford to fix them and have them safe but choose not to because they think it's cool to drive a car that's falling apart. I get it if you just don't have the money, we've all been there and it sucks. Not having money doesn't mean it's Ok to do something unsafe and dangerous. I just don't get it.....
Stripped66

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 15:45:47 pm »

No way would i get insured on a 2336 EFI powered lump so i havent even bothered, yet!

Fortunately, insurance in the US doesn't work that way at all...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 15:47:35 pm by Stripped66 » Logged
karl h

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 16:20:37 pm »

wouldnt at all be possible in austria either

Stripped66

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 16:29:54 pm »

wouldnt at all be possible in austria either

Insuring a Beetle with a larger engine?
mungouk

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2015, 21:44:44 pm »

I turned 39 last week....and have a shiny 56 looker with a big motor that can run 13.0 (cover of V World july last year)
 There was only a window of a couple of years when I was able to build it financially...that was
when I got my income was sorted and before I bought a house, got married and had a baby.
 I certainly wouldn't be able to do it now(although I am doing a lowlight ghia- no big motor tough).
  It feels like there was a time when hi po parts came down a bit  as they were more mass produced
and now they have gone up  loads....my new ally case was 400 and my tran's was 500 (£) now those prices have doubled
in 6 or 7 years??
or am I imagining all that ?? Smiley
Jesse Wens

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 22:21:01 pm »

Where do you live, Yannick?
Feel free to stop by in Muizen!
There are 2 lookers living here (almost)

I just moved to Oud-Turnhout Peter.
Do you have a link so I can follow your Projects? Or FB? Smiley

Hope to meet you this season!

See U soon  Cool

I live in Dessel, just 10 minutes from Oud-Turnhout.
I am not a true cal-look folower but do like racing a lot.
Now that the house is finished.. that is just what I will be working on again.
Giving the 66 fastback engine the nitrous treatment and building a new racecar.

Jesse
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 22:23:46 pm by Jesse Wens » Logged

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
EddieT67

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2015, 07:03:03 am »

Fortunately, insurance in the US doesn't work that way at all...

Everything is cooler stateside..! 

how does the principle of insurance work then in the U.S..?
RobtheManx

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:57 am »

I'm turning 34 this year . I like a patina VW , I guess my Plymouth is a patina car , but get really pissed off when someone says its Rat Look ! Trouble is the patina / shit look whatever you wanna call it scene has become so fashionable that there aren't enough decent cars to go around , so people have to create a piece of shit or just drive one that needs major work .

As for the scene , I got bored of it years ago , but my passion for the cars has never diminished . I just enjoy building and owning my cars and don't feel the need to show them. So many people have left VWs  and gone over to the vintage hot rod scene . I'm into hot rods too but I never understood how people can simply switch to another scene , and completely forget about something that was such a big part of their lives !

If I go to a show , I see plenty of young people , perhaps not driving cars that are my taste . But at least they're into it , I'm sure as they mature their tastes will improve ha ha ! the the ride of their super slammed cars will piss them off , they'll either build a Cal Looker , or just buy a T5!

Rambling on ! Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Flow

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2015, 10:04:32 am »

I don't really think that it is a generation thing... Look at this picture for exemple, the father is in the karmann and one of his sons is in the beetle (the other one is waiting for his turn...) and you know what ?! The father has been dragged here at the Das Drag Days by his sons, not the contrary...

My point of view : just a matter of influence, a lot of us where in resto cal/slammed cars since one of our friends showed us what power and class of cal look looks like, then we changed our minds !

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:44:51 am by Flow » Logged

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2015, 11:09:49 am »

I don't really think that it is a generation thing... Look at this picture for exemple, the father is in the karmann and one of his sons is in the beetle (the other one is waiting for his turn...) and you know what ?! The father has been dragged here at the Das Drag Days by his sons, not the contrary...

My point of view : just a matter of influence, a lot of us where in resto cal/slammed cars since when one of our friends showed us what power and class of cal look looks like, then we changed our minds !

That's 2 seriously cool cars!

dannyboy

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:35 am »

I'm turning 34 this year . I like a patina VW , I guess my Plymouth is a patina car , but get really pissed off when someone says its Rat Look ! Trouble is the patina / shit look whatever you wanna call it scene has become so fashionable that there aren't enough decent cars to go around , so people have to create a piece of shit or just drive one that needs major work .

As for the scene , I got bored of it years ago , but my passion for the cars has never diminished . I just enjoy building and owning my cars and don't feel the need to show them. So many people have left VWs  and gone over to the vintage hot rod scene . I'm into hot rods too but I never understood how people can simply switch to another scene , and completely forget about something that was such a big part of their lives !

If I go to a show , I see plenty of young people , perhaps not driving cars that are my taste . But at least they're into it , I'm sure as they mature their tastes will improve ha ha ! the the ride of their super slammed cars will piss them off , they'll either build a Cal Looker , or just buy a T5!

Rambling on ! Rob

splitter......  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Stripped66

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2015, 18:21:24 pm »

how does the principle of insurance work then in the U.S..?

It's based on the value of the vehicle, type of vehicle, and risk (sex, age, accident history, geographical location). To get a normal insurance policy for a Beetle, the insurance provider will either use the car's book value or a 3rd party appraisal to set the "stated value" of the policy. Engine size is not a factor, as they otherwise don't care whether it's capable of a 20-sec 1/4 mile or a 9-sec 1/4 mile...it's still a Beetle to the insurance company. Classic car insurance coverage is typically based on an appraised value and will have restricted driving stipulations (must be garaged, can't be a daily driver, etc).
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2015, 01:22:24 am »

33 next month. Seems that I'm a young blood Cheesy
Full of ideas and projects for a long time but I made a side step of the hobby scene. I like to work on my cars, helping friends with their projects    but doesn't do as much shows is I used to. Can't understand the rats and hoodride thing and I'm more interested in the mechanical and technical thing.
I think lots of people see cal look as an extremely narrow minded way of modifying a vw. With too much codes and and very elitist. And that's quite true. The nicest cars are high money build. But maybe most people forget that cal look is also about the fun and a way of thinking/living made by young and a bit rebel teens in the 70's. They street raced their cars,did dumb things with, make road trips that gave them memories for a long time, They simply have fun. Now,lots of cal look are more trailer queen or strip beast,seeing very few street miles.

Well I read all the posts and I think JF got right back on page 1 Wink Very well put dude! Smiley

Oh and I am 38 this year  Undecided

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Prowagen

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2015, 20:45:10 pm »

For me life got in the way, moved from UK to Florida, have a job with more responsibility, married with an 18 month old son. At this point in my life I don't own an ACVW which is the first time in 18 years, but I will be back in an ACVW one day and hopefully will pass on the addiction to my son Smiley

Also as Jeff68 said the scene here in Florida is crap! Which doesn't help!

The life cycle of a VW enthusiast in the UK from my circle of friends was.
Teenager: Start out with a cheap bug, go for the cheap Taiwanese chrome, see through dizzy caps and day-glo ignition leads, slam it, cruise it.
Mid - Late 20's: Get serious, hi-po VW's, Cal-Look, IDA's etc.
30's: Either, get out of scene buy a house and will never return as Wife has balls in a jar, or have family/commitment and go dormant but planning to return, or still working on that project car from their late 20's, that hasn't seen daylight in 4+ years.

Smiley

Brgs
Rob.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 20:46:57 pm by Prowagen » Logged
RobtheManx

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:50 am »

Rambling on ! Rob

You're trying to wind me up and its not gonna work !  There is nothing wrong with having varied tastes ....

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
dannyboy

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 20:15:19 pm »

Rambling on ! Rob

You're trying to wind me up and its not gonna work !  There is nothing wrong with having varied tastes ....

Cheesy mate ill be racing you in a v8 gasser before you know it  Wink you do have to admit it was funny when the gasser circus was in the next fireup lane to the vws and someone shouted out splitter  you did look round straight away  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: