The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:40:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Interesting find on 36 HP fuel pump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Interesting find on 36 HP fuel pump  (Read 1882 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: March 26, 2013, 23:25:49 pm »

I have been looking for a fuel pump rebuild kit with no luck one of the main supplier is out of them. So as I was in my garage this past weekend I realized that the fuel pump on a Ford Flathead as the same principle as the VW fuel pump. So I decided to check the fuel pump diaphram from the Ford to see if it was the same design as the VW. Yep it is the same with same amount of holes and the spring as well. So I put one together and so far it is working well. Here are a couple of pictures showing the one on the left is from the Ford and the one on the right is VW. The only thing you need to do is to trim the edge of the rubber on the Ford one otherwise no problem.
Frenchy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 23:27:20 pm by Frenchy Dehoux » Logged

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:19:06 am »

Wow Frenchy, that is interesting.
Just last weekend, the kids an I had a blast bench running a 36er that hadn't been fired in about twenty years. The exhaust is compleatly rusted away, so it was kinda loud when I was reving it up. My son had a big ol' grin on his face when he said that it "sounds like a muscle car dad!"
Anyways, I was quite surprised that after that long just sitting that both the accelerator pump and the fuel pump still worked. Another thing that I found curious is that the fuel pump says "MADE IN USA"!

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:07:18 am »

Frenchy, GREAT find!

Second, I will always respect the 36 h.p. VW engine. One of my best friends/roommate/fellow D.K.K. member, Joe's '60 Indian Red VW Bug had one and we whaled on that engine. Drove it everywhere and it was a blast. Never once did she give us any flack. In the ice cold mountains, the extreme desert heat, the beaches, and everywhere else. Such a dependable and well engineered piece of machinery.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: