The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:58:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  63 GTV-esque Main ad.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 63 GTV-esque Main ad.  (Read 2656 times)
jjjjj

« on: January 06, 2016, 12:28:28 pm »

Unrestored 63, original paint, interior.  24300 miles from new.  2007cc with 200 miles use.  5 BRM’s with 356B brakes.  Comes with everything to revert to stock, including un-used spare wheel.

GTV decal and globes are original.  GTV wheel comes with original box, as does the Hurst.

Very very nice car. Not cheap, but very nice.  PM if interested. 

Jason

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 15:21:00 pm by jjjjj » Logged
beetletom

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 00:29:14 am »

Proper!!! What a beautiful car
jjjjj

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 15:26:24 pm »

I've had a lot of requests, for photos and price.  So given that I've never introduced myself, here's a little bit of info on me and how my car came about.

Back in the early 90’s, I had a knackered 66 bug loaded with EMPI stuff, the car needed serious remedial work but I preferred to buy trinkets.  I was young and stupid.  And now I’m not young anymore!  I sold my bug in 1998 and concentrated on buying a house and starting a business.  By 2010, business had gone well enough to buy my dream car, a 356A.   But there was unfinished business.

At VW Action 1996, I saw Kobus' 64.  I was in love, not with Kobus, but his car.  I called Kobus with regard to buying the car from him.  It was too expensive.  Far too expensive.  Then in 2012 I decided to try and track down Kobus' car.  I only knew Kobus' first name and that he lived in Belgium.  Not much to go on.  But at the time I did not know Kobus had become such a linchpin in the VW world.  So within 5 minutes of starting the search, I'd found him and he emailed back to say that the bug was still in his ownership and possibly available for sale.  But not in such good condition.  I decided to pass up on the car and build the best car I could.

This unrestored 63 VW Beetle had just 24,150 miles from new.  Lucille Senor was the first and original owner in California (Was this the same Lucille who sewed the DKP club patches on their jackets?) (Turns out, no, confirmed by John Lazenby).  She bought the car from Century Motors in Alhambra, (Could Dean Lowry have carried out the initial service?  The dates coincide when he worked there, but it doesn't look like his signature on the service records) who are still in business today, selling VW’s.  The car was used by Lucille, up until 1979, when she stopped driving.  The car has full service history to this point.  It then sat for many years unused in her garage.  In 2012 the car was discovered and shipped to England by me, the 2nd owner.  I was on the look out for the very best white 63, with red interior available.  Only the very best would do.  And this was the one.

In the UK
A few items needed addressing before registration.  The door seals had gone crispy, the window scraper seals had almost disappeared.  These items were replaced with WCM items by Paintbox.  These are the guys I trust.  I know it’s only window seals, but they were able to save the original metal trim and not damage the plastic door liner.  I fitted NOS European head and taillights.  The car is now registered here in the UK, the number plates are home made from 0.9mm titanium, (no real reason, other than that’s what I had kicking around) the rear incorporates an NOS original EMPI globe.
Next was a brake, suspension, steering, engine and gearbox overhaul.  This was carried out by Ian Clark.  He built a 2007cc stroker motor.  Nothing too wild, (160HP at the flywheel) just enough to bimble along nicely.  The gearbox is a 1600 item from Cogbox.  The brakes were upgraded to 356B drums, because they perform well and look so good behind BRM’s.  The engine has just 150 miles on it.

The parts listed are all or were, original, NOS and in their boxes.
Speedwell Camber comp, EMPI GTV Wheel, Hurst copper curved shifter and two EMPI Globes (one on the dash, the other on the rear number plate).
Some other pieces are just NOS, such as, EMPI manifold, linkage and air cleaners, two Speedwell badges (not fitted).
NOS BRM’s are thin on the ground these days, so I bought six used ones and had them restored by the Paintbox.  The Speedwell tacho and EMPI gauges are also restored.
Still to fit original EMPI headrests.  If I can bring myself to do it…….

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:56:28 am »

Lovely car
Good Luck with the sale
Fred
vwhelmot

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 17:39:48 pm »

Very nice
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: