The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 21:14:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look at Volksworld
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Cal Look at Volksworld  (Read 29575 times)
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 19:47:30 pm »

What they should have done was to show how Cal Look started and has changed over the years right up to present day. You could have done that with 8 cars. They went to the point of making display cards to show that.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Prowagen

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 19:51:01 pm »

"It seems that everyone is quick to judge a cars' Cal Look credentials without considering the huge amount of time, effort, money and commitment it must take to get a car to a show like VolksWorld."

Yeah but they are not cal look so all that time is just wasted Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 19:54:50 pm by Prowagen » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 19:52:24 pm »

I would honestly say that almost half the cars in the Cal Look display didn't loo to be true cal look, but then maybe that was the point? More of a evolution of the style?

Dunno, some would fit in the restowagen display outside and no one would bat an eyelid.

But isn't that the old argument about what Cal Look actually is? In the 40 Years display the red and black 67s fitted, and the blue one showed the evolution into race car territory which many Cal Lookers followed. The two ovals showed the more modern interpretation with more stock features, but still definitely not resto-cal. Ghias have always been a sticky subject, but I thought they were both more Cal Look than not. The only one that was on slightly dodgier ground was the oval cab, for me mainly due to the wheel choice. Nice car, but lose the bumpers, and swap the SA Sprints for pretty much anything else and it would fit perfectly, but that's my opinion on those wheels.

Let's hope the owners log on and read this insightful comment.

It seems that everyone is quick to judge a cars' Cal Look credentials without considering the huge amount of time, effort, money and commitment it must take to get a car to a show like VolksWorld.

Tim, I think I know what you're getting at here. To be honest, I think the resto-cal movement has really pushed the boundaries as far as quality of build goes. They're putting a phenomenal amount of work into their cars and they do look stunning as a result, if a little blingy for my tastes. It's just a shame that they can't set their suspension up properly...  Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 19:54:33 pm »

Dunno, some would fit in the restowagen display outside and no one would bat an eyelid.

Let's hope the owners log on and read this insightful comment.

It seems that everyone is quick to judge a cars' Cal Look credentials without considering the huge amount of time, effort, money and commitment it must take to get a car to a show like VolksWorld.

Tim, your missing the point, I never said they aren't nice cars, in fact I would happily own any of them, but as Martin has pointed out the whole display went to great efforts to describe cal-look to the public and yet only a couple of the cars met this criteria.  Nowadays the lines are a little blurred between resto-cal and cal-look as they have all now been fitted with a hi-po engine, have superb detailing and run stock trim.  Is the only difference a one spline drop at the rear?

Volskworld should have made a real effort to ensure the cars categorised as cal-look met their own criteria which was written down around the display for all to see.  That's the point I was trying to make.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 20:07:05 pm »

You needed the following cars to get the point across, all of which were available but the organisers wouldn't pay for covered transport to get them there:

Arnie Mohlmann's beige '67
Greg Aronson replica
Dave Rhoads' green meanie
My ex-Goss Chop-top
Doug Mische's '67
Randy gates' Split

Those five cars capture the true sprit of Cal Look in one small group. Done deal!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 20:12:29 pm »

You needed the following cars to get the point across, all of which were available but the organisers wouldn't pay for covered transport to get them there:

Greg Aronson replica
My ex-Goss Chop-top
Doug Mische's '67
Randy gates' Split

Those five cars capture the true sprit of Cal Look in one small group. Done deal!

as much as i can see your point with this, i thought it could have been a great idea to search for the 5-8 cars from EUROPE that could capture the spirit of cal look on this side of the pond. but that is a bit off topic as that was not the intention i suppose.
would have been interesting for sure.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 20:22:25 pm »

Maybe next year they could do a display of all the different looks with in the scene so people can understand what they all are.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 23:19:18 pm »

Greg Aronson replica
My ex-Goss Chop-top
Doug Mische's '67
Randy gates' Split

And would have been cars I would have wanted to see!
jick

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 07:04:56 am »

Greg Aronson replica
My ex-Goss Chop-top
Doug Mische's '67
Randy gates' Split

And would have been cars I would have wanted to see!

Yes.....this does seem to be a particularly poor decision.
Obviously budget constraints are important to consider....... BUT the organisers themselves chose to have the Cal-Look display.... Why do this and then not really follow it through.

Neil Davies

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 08:36:33 am »

I think part of the problem is that the editorial team isn't particularly interested in Cal Look. Sure, Mike Pye has one, but the others tend to favour resto cal. James Peene seems like a nice enough chap but he's into a different part of the scene than Ivan, and it's reflected in the magazine and the show itself.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:42 am »

Thing is Volksworld was a better magazine with Keith and Ivan involved, so we'll just have wait for next months Ultra VW and all head to the Cal Look Drag Day
Georg/DFL

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:59 am »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We are really glad that you liked our display.

Regarding the Cal Look display inside: I think it is easy to say that the Volksworld Show team should have done this better and that, but it's very difficult in reality! Even if you have in mind which cars from Europe you would like to have there and even if every owner of those cars tells you that he's coming - it doesn't mean it will happen in the end.

VoWo team asked us if Tobi is coming with his Oval. We told them that it wasn't for sure and even if, we (and Tobi) wouldn't want to have his car inside and the others outside.

For us it's easy to say what the VoWo team should have done better, but we all don't know how much effort they put into it before the show - and I bet it wasn't little.

My statement regarding the Volksworld Show: I went there the first time in 1998 and didn't miss a single one since then. It is the only air-cooled VW indoor show in Europe and they do a great job on it! Same with the Carter brothers, who organize the red brik area (now Cool Flo area). Whatever you may think of what they do, please appreciate that they do something!

The Brits appreciated it much more that we came over with seven cars then the Germans. They already complained about the fact that we trailered six out of the seven cars and that it is a shame to trailer them. Oh, and we are pussies not driving them to England, and so on. I bet those complaints came from people who never drove further than 100 miles from their home and never organized something for the scene.

My suggestion: Enjoy the Volksworld Show and give constructive criticism directly to the organizers.

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Prowagen

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 16:50:16 pm »

I certainly don't envy anyone putting on a show, I have assisted in many and its such a nightmare and so stressful.

You can't please everybody, however I am a firm believer in do it right or not at all, so as someone else here mentioned, why not get this forum involved as there are a ton of cars on here that are more to the style.
Georg/DFL

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 19:35:54 pm »

You can't please everybody, however I am a firm believer in do it right or not at all, so as someone else here mentioned, why not get this forum involved as there are a ton of cars on here that are more to the style.

Right - and we brought some of these cars!  Wink

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Cal Look is not a crime
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
jick

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 20:35:42 pm »

Great shot!

Remember, Cal-look enthusiasts.... If you have upright headlights... For the love of god pleeease colour code them!!
Haha....(Rob-the-Manx are you listening?)

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 21:30:43 pm »

Great shot!

Remember, Cal-look enthusiasts.... If you have upright headlights... For the love of god pleeease colour code them!!
Haha....(Rob-the-Manx are you listening?)

Well, I never thought about doing that, but that's now on my bucket list of to do things!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:15:48 am by j-f » Logged
Flow

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 21:41:39 pm »

Watching the picture, what I can say is that you can't blame organizers if there are no cal looks... If cal lookers don't come, there are no displays. The DFL came and have been rewarded with a big location and a price  Roll Eyes

Georg/DFL

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 22:06:07 pm »

Watching the picture, what I can say is that you can't blame organizers if there are no cal looks... If cal lookers don't come, there are no displays. The DFL came and have been rewarded with a big location and a price  Roll Eyes

Just for clarification: We had to pay for the marquee over the "big location"! Which is fine with us, we just don't want people to think we got it all for free! Wink

Cal Look is not a crime
Flow

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 22:42:26 pm »

And that is an even big effort made to represent the cal look scene  Wink

vwcab

peter

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:37 am »

DFL had a nice line-up off their lookers.And yes, there had could been more cal-lookers for the 40 years anniversary.BUT......it was a GREAT show and there is no one to blame.We ( Nicolas and I) had a great time, saw lots of beautiful cars and spoke to a lot of nice people. Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Nikov

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 10:06:44 am »

Well my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The quality and workmanship of the cars is breathtaking  Shocked

Had a chat to a tall, bearded German chap from DFL who spoke better English than I do. A lovely line-up of cars  Smiley Smiley Smiley

The Ron Flemming presentation was properly entertaining as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:10:18 am by Nikov » Logged
Russell

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 23:24:25 pm »

Mmmm Yes you can, they chose the cars for display not the public, they asked for a few from me but unfortunately they couldn't get a sponsor or have the budget to pay for the transporter, which I totally understand as it is expensive. Unfortunately they decided to leave it, I would have checked before publicising a 45 year cal look display.

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 23:25:57 pm »

Awesome picture.  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 04:34:47 am »

Mmmm Yes you can, they chose the cars for display not the public, they asked for a few from me but unfortunately they couldn't get a sponsor or have the budget to pay for the transporter, which I totally understand as it is expensive. Unfortunately they decided to leave it, I would have checked before publicising a 45 year cal look display.

A serious question as I honestly don't understand how this works:
They invite you to bring your car(s) and you say, "Sure, as long as you pay to have them shipped"
 Huh
I believe most people would be flattered, and graciously accept the invitation. Is it not a big compliment to be invited to this show?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
RIP356

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 06:14:35 am »

When they are charging people to look at your cars ?
I think they might be able to afford transport!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 07:04:09 am »

Isn't that the case at every event then? Volksworld must be something completely different(?).

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 08:18:16 am »

Isn't that the case at every event then? Volksworld must be something completely different(?).
To be asked to take four important, high-value cars to a show almost 600 miles away (1200-mile round trip) is a little different to just driving to your local event...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Russell

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2015, 09:06:22 am »

A serious question as I honestly don't understand how this works:
They invite you to bring your car(s) and you say, "Sure, as long as you pay to have them shipped"u
 Huh
I believe most people would be flattered, and graciously accept the invitation. Is it not a big compliment to be invited to this show?

Zach the cost was £4000 for a return trip to London for the 4 cars in enclosed transport, they did look at 8 cars but £8000 to ship them there and back is a large amount and I totally get why they wouldn't or couldn't justify that money.

But remember show organisers charge money for traders, spectators and even clubs to have a covered area ! And they make money from this

Any yes I was flattered but also disappointed that it didn't happen, however for you to have a go at me without knowing the facts is skittle unfair

Best Regards

Russell
vwhelmot

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2015, 11:34:16 am »

It is a shame that some of Russell's collection wasn't at the show but can totally understand why they weren't on both sides of the argument.
I didn't realise how expensive it is to transport them.
Prowagen

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2015, 14:21:59 pm »

Sometimes the entry fees on shows barely pay for the venue and event staff, I am not sure if this in the case with Volksworld but Sandown park would probably be a pretty expensive venue!

Also you have to hand it to them what other VW show is put on that more resembles a modern day motor show in a covered venue that is a proper exhibition hall.

Also there are tons of people out there that would take their cars there for free to display, as its seen as an achievement or honor. So I can sypathise with their predicament as if you pay for one persons car(s) to be there then what's stopping anyone saying "Well you paid for their transport, you have to pay for mine too". It may end up setting a precedence.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 14:24:56 pm by Prowagen » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: