The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:02:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look at Volksworld
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Cal Look at Volksworld  (Read 29577 times)
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 16:16:33 pm »

When they are charging people to look at your cars ?
I think they might be able to afford transport!

Sometimes the entry fees on shows barely pay for the venue and event staff, I am not sure if this in the case with Volksworld but Sandown park would probably be a pretty expensive venue!

Also you have to hand it to them what other VW show is put on that more resembles a modern day motor show in a covered venue that is a proper exhibition hall.

Also there are tons of people out there that would take their cars there for free to display, as its seen as an achievement or honor. So I can sypathise with their predicament as if you pay for one persons car(s) to be there then what's stopping anyone saying "Well you paid for their transport, you have to pay for mine too". It may end up setting a precedence.

I have had strong feelings about this subject for years and it is not unique to this show. Volksworld is a subsidiary of a large multi media company and they are looking for more than " barely pay for the venue and event staff", they are not doing it for the good of mankind!!! It is an achievement to have a car shown at an event like the Volksworld show and it is a sad fact that they capitalise on this. They should look after the car owners better than 2 free tickets and a drink voucher.  I was more than happy to take my cars to it as it served as an advertisement for me but as for DFL that bring all the cars from Europe and then pay for a covered area, I am sorry that is wrong!! Without people like DFL and all the other hard working car enthusiasts there would be no show. Unfortunately it is a double edge sword because if you pay some expenses, give a larger display area per car at a larger venue, then the admission has to go up and it opens up another can of worms!!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 17:41:50 pm by Bernard Newbury » Logged

Before you jump, check the depth.
Russell

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 16:21:44 pm »

When they are charging people to look at your cars ?
I think they might be able to afford transport!

Sometimes the entry fees on shows barely pay for the venue and event staff, I am not sure if this in the case with Volksworld but Sandown park would probably be a pretty expensive venue!

Also you have to hand it to them what other VW show is put on that more resembles a modern day motor show in a covered venue that is a proper exhibition hall.

Also there are tons of people out there that would take their cars there for free to display, as its seen as an achievement or honor. So I can sypathise with their predicament as if you pay for one persons car(s) to be there then what's stopping anyone saying "Well you paid for their transport, you have to pay for mine too". It may end up setting a precedence.

Totally agree they are damed if they do and damed if they don't, I think the Volksworld show has always been about starting the year off catching up with friends and seeing the general scene covered from all angles, it's only when they do something specific that if its your bag it's easy to criticise, I think it's like a special birthday for cal look this year and we probably would like a bigger deal made of it... However let's not moan lets be thankful for what we have a best of show being a cal looker, a few very nice examples inside and the DFL outside

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 19:13:27 pm »

It wasn't a dig at you, Russell. There is nothing like Volksworld in the U.S. VW scene. I truly don't understand how it works on this level, I still don't, and I may never. I'm completely ok with that Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Georg/DFL

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 10:49:27 am »

I have had strong feelings about this subject for years and it is not unique to this show. Volksworld is a subsidiary of a large multi media company and they are looking for more than " barely pay for the venue and event staff", they are not doing it for the good of mankind!!! It is an achievement to have a car shown at an event like the Volksworld show and it is a sad fact that they capitalise on this. They should look after the car owners better than 2 free tickets and a drink voucher.  I was more than happy to take my cars to it as it served as an advertisement for me but as for DFL that bring all the cars from Europe and then pay for a covered area, I am sorry that is wrong!! Without people like DFL and all the other hard working car enthusiasts there would be no show. Unfortunately it is a double edge sword because if you pay some expenses, give a larger display area per car at a larger venue, then the admission has to go up and it opens up another can of worms!!!

Before people think we had to pay for our space, that is not the case!
Let me get things straight:

We were asked to come over by the Carter brothers. They were organizing the Cool Flo arena aka red brick area. We were not allowed to bring our own marquees because of insurance reasons. That meant we had two choices: No cover or renting a marquee. We chose the latter. The Carter brothers were kind enough to subsidize the marquee, but the club still had to pay a considerable amount of money - for cover! Not for the display area!.

Like I said, it was our choice to have the marquee! Understandable, if you consider the typical English weather in March!  Grin

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 11:39:05 am »

Before people think we had to pay for our space, that is not the case!
Let me get things straight:

We were asked to come over by the Carter brothers. They were organizing the Cool Flo arena aka red brick area. We were not allowed to bring our own marquees because of insurance reasons. That meant we had two choices: No cover or renting a marquee. We chose the latter. The Carter brothers were kind enough to subsidize the marquee, but the club still had to pay a considerable amount of money - for cover! Not for the display area!.

Like I said, it was our choice to have the marquee! Understandable, if you consider the typical English weather in March!  Grin
George, I knew that you did not pay for the space only the marquee, but I still stand by what I said about most show organisers (not only VW) do not look after the people that display the cars. This goes back many years.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:45:33 am by Bernard Newbury » Logged

Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 11:40:11 am »

oops, double post.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:45:03 am by Bernard Newbury » Logged

max, Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 04:41:15 am »

A few of my pics, a show worth flying over for, well done Volks World team!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:45:02 am by max, Der Bahnstormerz » Logged
BossHogg76

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:56 am »

Great Pics of some lovely cars there Max.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: