The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:36:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How much oil to use?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How much oil to use?  (Read 6362 times)
runningmonkey

« on: January 15, 2012, 19:12:56 pm »

This may seem like a silly question but am a bit confused, iv got a 3.5 ltr extended oil sump fitted to my engine (2180cc) it's also got a oil cooler and oil filter fitted to. Now iv been told not to fill the engine up to the normal fill line on the dip stick, instead fill it to the minimum line. Is this right?

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 19:19:05 pm »

That's the level I run ... same size sump & stroke.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
John Palmer

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 20:44:46 pm »

We have always used the "bottom line" on the stick, with a deep sump system.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 21:34:02 pm »

Just touching the dipstick with my 4 qt sump

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
vintagewagenwerks

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 23:19:04 pm »

I use 1.5l deep sump system but why do not fill to the max of the dipstick ,rather i see not the reason to use a deep oil sump system. Huh

Itīs better to burn out than to fade away.
TexasTom

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:03:05 am »

The main reason is to try and prevent oil 'splashing' by the crankshaft. The increased stroke will allow the assembly (rods included) to reach down much further into the sumped oil and throw it about in the case, which will ultimately find it's way to the least likely places for seepage and such.
That's my take on it, in a nutshell ...  Wink
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:28:06 am »

The increased stroke will allow the assembly (rods included) to reach down much further into the sumped oil and throw it about in the case,
Please explain how the crankshaft and rods "reach" down through the camshaft and lifters?

I use a 1.5 liter sump, and I fill it to the TOP line.
John Palmer

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:25 am »

Please explain how the crankshaft and rods "reach" down through the camshaft and lifters?

, Trust me Bruce, "it has happened" and to us, at the last PRA Fontana race.  Oh.......one more thing "it's not cheap to repair"
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:26:46 am »

Surprised to hear that given your obsession with weight Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:44:07 am »

In race track use with GB 1,6ltr sump, we have to keep oil level closer the upper line to prevent starving in long fast turns. Even if the engine has windage tray (http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=203). Engine in this case itself is 2274cc. Supposedly this could happen also with highway ramps etc or in drifting applications Smiley
runningmonkey

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:08 am »

The main reason is to try and prevent oil 'splashing' by the crankshaft. The increased stroke will allow the assembly (rods included) to reach down much further into the sumped oil and throw it about in the case, which will ultimately find it's way to the least likely places for seepage and such.
That's my take on it, in a nutshell ...  Wink
TxT

This could be the reason why iv had a few fly wheel oil seals go, Iv been filling mine 3/4 on the dip stick and had to replace the seal twice in the last 2 years!
vintagewagenwerks

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 18:39:04 pm »

I usse my system about 2 years never had problems and did run more than 20000km with it since i istalled it Last highway drive was over 200km with 4500 rpm .by 25 degrees outside.

TexasTom

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 18:51:33 pm »

The increased stroke will allow the assembly (rods included) to reach down much further into the sumped oil and throw it about in the case,

Bruce, I guess what I was trying to say is the much larger assembly creates so much more windage inside the crankcase that things get thrown around a whole lot more. Also, the clearance to the camshaft is much tighter and splashing of the oil off the cam itself can be occuring ...
All I know is my problems were alleviated by lowering the level Wink
TxT
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 19:23:07 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

vintagewagenwerks

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 21:53:15 pm »

so can it be that your pistonrings are damaged or your breather system is not big enough?For real when you drive without an add on sump the oil is on the same level.The add on is only to allay the oil splashing in the engine to have constant oil preasure while rough driving in curves and so on ,otherwise to have an cooling effect with his tins.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 23:30:33 pm »

I use 1.5l deep sump system but why do not fill to the max of the dipstick ,rather i see not the reason to use a deep oil sump system. Huh
One thing you may be overlooking. With a deep sump you "can" run with a lower oil level, and minimize oil foaming from high levels.

Despite the additive packages in motor oil.  IMHO  Smiley
Fast Bug

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 00:33:38 am »

Grin Grin Grin
Fast Bug

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 00:47:49 am »

That's my take on it, in a nutshell ...  Wink
TxT

This could be the reason why iv had a few fly wheel oil seals go, Iv been filling mine 3/4 on the dip stick and had to replace the seal twice in the last 2 years!

No I don’t think so. The flywheel seal is mounted on the outside of the crankcase and is only lubed by the #1 main bearing. Wink

By the way I fill mine to the minimum line and I have never had a problem.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 00:57:20 am by Fast Bug » Logged
John Palmer

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:41 am »

With all due respect, Bruce is correct "again"!  The higher oil level and a small should work just fine on the street.

On another forum, from a distant planet, long, long ago, Muffler Mike posted series of pictures of an engine on a dyno that had been fitted with "glass viewing windows" in the valve covers.  The photos were taken at different RPM levels.  Some of the old timers around here might remember the old post.  Basically what happened was the left valve cover and head were entirely filled with oil "if I remember correctly" by only 5 or 6K RPM.  I think anything that you can do to avoid (or control) this from happening is a good thing.  We run a "very large" Berg  sump and run the oil level on the lower mark in an effort to help control the excess oil slung off the crank and rods.  Ideally there should be a better baffle covering the left push rod tubes.  A large 1 qt or over breather helps, but a dry sump system is the way to go.
Bruce

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:27 am »

My current car is a TANK. It's pointless to try to lighten it. 
The next car will be light!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:00 am »

On another forum, from a distant planet, long, long ago, Muffler Mike posted series of pictures of an engine on a dyno that had been fitted with "glass viewing windows" in the valve covers.  The photos were taken at different RPM levels.  Some of the old timers around here might remember the old post.  Basically what happened was the left valve cover and head were entirely filled with oil "if I remember correctly" by only 5 or 6K RPM.  I think anything that you can do to avoid (or control) this from happening is a good thing.  We run a "very large" Berg  sump and run the oil level on the lower mark in an effort to help control the excess oil slung off the crank and rods.  Ideally there should be a better baffle covering the left push rod tubes.  A large 1 qt or over breather helps, but a dry sump system is the way to go.

To add to what you write above:

The Muffler Mike pictures only show the 3/4 side valve cover that is also vented. His conclusion was to remove the vent and to add a drain line to the sump. What would have been interesting was to see the same pictures with a valve cover that was not vented.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
TexasTom

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 13:45:57 pm »

To add to what you write above:

The Muffler Mike pictures only show the 3/4 side valve cover that is also vented. His conclusion was to remove the vent and to add a drain line to the sump. What would have been interesting was to see the same pictures with a valve cover that was not vented.

-BB-

With a stock oiling system, the 3/4 side is the only side that will fill! I believe it's due to the direction of rotation of the crankshaft, much the reason many V8 engines are only vented on one side?
The reason I specified 'stock oiling system' is a case with the 'Bob Hoover oiling mods' will flow more oil to the 1/2 side and potentially fill that valve cover more than without, though I have no scientific proof ...
It would be interesting to devise an internal baffle of sorts for the left-side of the engine only to shield the returning oil and see what improvement could be made, versus return lines from the head to the sump. Though, you would think it had been tried by now already.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: