The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 01:55:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350785 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  OXY boxer for drag use ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OXY boxer for drag use ?  (Read 3901 times)
Fredy Kucmocht

« on: March 28, 2013, 18:53:41 pm »

Dear loungers, what is your experience according Oxy boxers and oiling system.
.) stock oil pan ?
.) oil sump
.) dry sump
Please let me know what works and what sucks
Stripped66

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:53:06 am »

My experience is that the stock oil pick-up is easily uncovered during hard acceleration. I know that one solution is to modify the pick-up so that it is as far rearward as possible. I opted to dry-sump my oxyboxer and have been happy with the stable oil-pressure.

JIMP

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:34:44 am »

Double that, we modificated the oil pick up to be as rear as possible to gother all the oil possible, but then we decided to go dry sump to be even more sure. As we're struggling now to get to an end with the dyno sessions, after that we dismantle the engine again to check the bearings, then I could tell more certain if it works or not

Friendly

Dimitrios
ED2.4

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:47 am »

Hi,
modified oil pick-up + an accusump or dry-sump system

DeluxeRacingTeam >>>>  http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
Udo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 18:11:31 pm »

I have modyfied some cases for 1,5 sump . But it is a lot of work

Udo

spanners

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:51 am »

as you know, the wasser sump is angled down to the rear, hence the acce'l surge problem, this can be used to advantage if you raise the box by inclination, the sump then angles more favourably and should be o.k for non all out racing and fast street use, if you need to pull g then dry sump is the real answer everytime.

Best regards, spanners.
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 14:40:15 pm »

Dry sump oil system are complex and ads a lot of weight to a race car. It ads a lot of hoses that needs to be
disconnected every time you have to pull the engine out (clutch adjustment etc) and those hoses are filled
with air when you start the engine again. It's hard to do a well working dry sump oil system with less than 8-10L
of oil and all the hoses, larger pump, tank etc will ad up to 15 -20 kg.  I have made a 2789cc oxyboxer engine that
runs mid 10 sec with a stock located pick up tube and stock sump. Yes it looses oil pressure when launching and
would need some attention to solve this problem, but the current owner have not done anything yet and it still
runs great Smiley. The problem was'nt there when it ran mid to low 11 sec but after an upgrade to the engine and
fitted in a better car the oil pressure gets very low for less than a sec and recovers very fast. But there's more to
it than just the sump/pick up tube location. I believe that baffles in the stock sump will make a huge improvement. 
Adding a deep sump like Udo have done would just make things even better.  Baffled sump and deep sump engines
are way more simple to handle when doing service and repairs in the pit at a race.

Just my 2 cent on this subject Smiley

/Rolf
RMS Boxer Service
European LAT Oil dealer
Stripped66

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 16:04:07 pm »

Let me understand you correctly...you would rather lose oil pressure on every launch than deal with air in the oil lines during the one start-up following the rare occasion your 10-second engine needs to be serviced in the pits?

RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 17:15:24 pm »

Let me understand you correctly...you would rather lose oil pressure on every launch than deal with air in the oil lines during the one start-up following the rare occasion your 10-second engine needs to be serviced in the pits?

Of Course not  Sad As I stated the oxyboxer mentioned do have a problem and needs attention but the current owner don't want to spend the
required money and time. When I had it in service for my customer we did'nt have the problem with low oil pressure becuse it did'nt launch
as hard as it can now. The engine was sold and another guy messed it up and I had it back for a repair and change of cam. But I would rather
solve the problem in a simple way instead of adding a lot of stuff and weight to the car.

/Rolf
spanners

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 17:17:20 pm »

in my case on the circuits, i went dry sump after having to rebuild too often with the flashing oil light syndrome, plus a power gain with no problematic windage around the crank. there is a weight gain admittedly, but it can be minimized, modern hoses and fittings are light, and i use the oil tank and contents weight to my advantage to off set the driver side weight on the front axle, it helps my braking capability. i calculate the d/s power gain on a short boxer crank to be 6 hp at 7000 rpm so the weight penalty more than breaks even. just my view anyway,  horses for courses i 'spose, hope that helps. Johnny.

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: