The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 13:30:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350764 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Seat belt mounting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Seat belt mounting  (Read 2564 times)
broen messiaen

« on: August 16, 2015, 10:11:05 am »

Hello,
I'm busy with fitting some parts in my bug and I have a question about the seat belt mounting.

I have a 5-point system from Simpson. The belts on the wast I have put on the original mounting holes, but i have a question for the rear.
It's required to mount the shoulder belts at a angle of about 20°. So i was planning to put them on the plate from the roll cage in the back luggage area.
I have made a templet of what was the intention, needs 2 hooks to put them on.

But the belts arn't long enough (they are set on the longest now), is there a way of making them longer?

if i put them on the mounting holes of the original back belts then the angle isn't good.

How can i fix this problem? i have seen many put a cross bar on the main hoop of the cage and attach the belts on that bar. But i want that bar to be removabel so is this a good way then?

thanks.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:33:18 am »

Max 10 degrees angle on the shoulder straps. This is very important or you risk braking your collar bone and in worst case, your neck. You can easily make the crossbar between the main hoop removable with approved fittings from Easthill welding.

Take a good look at Motorsoffan #137, Säkerhet! på nitroz.se

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
spanners

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 16:06:48 pm »

Most motor sport seat belts specify two available lengths, it's important to specify saloon length, yours sound like single seater length, you may be able to fit the cross bar to the main hoop which may just get you set up if you use eye bolts, but the trend now is to wrap the belt tails around the cross tube, scruteneers like this as well, and it saves some work and a little weight.

Best regards, spanners.
broen messiaen

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 20:26:52 pm »

Max 10 degrees angle on the shoulder straps. This is very important or you risk braking your collar bone and in worst case, your neck. You can easily make the crossbar between the main hoop removable with approved fittings from Easthill welding.

Best rgs
BB

thanks for the reply's.

i have googled the things you are saying but i don't understand anything they say in that movie and neither on the site from Easthill. Swedish isn't my language  Grin Cheesy.

I bought the long version of belts

a other option i tought about. Is it alowed to bolt then to the original backseat fittings and lay the over the cross bar? that way it's still at a low angle but not secured to the bar

greetings
spanners

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 19:09:37 pm »

mounting to the factory fixing you show in the pic would be acceptable provided the tails pull directly to the eye bolt, install a second eye bolt with an approved spreader plate with captive eye bolt fixing, an installed angle up to 45* from horizontal will be accepted,  passing tails over a cage tube would not be acceptable, it would allow excess stretch in a

Best rgs
BB
crash stress and it COULD be possible for the shoulder straps to slip off, crossing the tails is a good idea to prevent this happening, incidentally,  if you decide to wrap the tails, the cage should only use a proper harness bar homologated by the cage manufacturer, you may find they can supply one with eye bolt bosses installed, other wise, suitable steps should be taken to eliminate webbing side slippage on the harness bar, if the harness really is too short on the tails, one option is to move the seat rearwards, you can buy steering wheel extended bosses or spacers to help with this.

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: