The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 13:06:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350749 Posts in 28585 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fast Bugs that ran Deano heads?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Fast Bugs that ran Deano heads?  (Read 11873 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 00:19:33 am »

here is 2 sets that dean and his son larry did for me back in 84and86 the ones in the grey ghost were 42x37 small port 1984 larry lowery did these the engine made around 215hp on 12.5 comp 2175 fk89 1.45 rockers. the other set dean did they were 46x38 tit valves 2332 fk98 1.45 rockers 14.01 comp est power 240hp. grey goust ran 12.01 at 107. the black 67 ran 11.62 at 114.50. both cars were all steel the black 67 was the heavie one.  UD.

cool pics. Jeff when did you get into hot rodding VW's?
The Ideaman

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 01:54:06 am »

K-Roc is one of the guys capable of measuring velocity.  Wink
Steve Hollingsworth also has velocity measuring capabilities, I believe.  His flowbench almost looks like the Berg's, because the same engineer built it.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
ugly duckling

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 01:59:09 am »

31 years ago.i was 14 in this picture i bouhgt the car for 500.00 on a lawn mowing buget. its hard to belive that bug was only 12 years old when i bought it 12 years at that age is an aternity. now it goes by at a blink of an eye. UD. sorry about the double pic post i dont know what happen there.  Embarrassed Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:02:31 am by ugly duckling » Logged

ugly duckling

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 02:19:52 am »

im sure everybodys seen this. here is the late great deano him self. and what a great an generis guy he was.wrencing on the test buggy. UD

Donny B.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 03:45:30 am »

Deano was never in it just for the money.  He was a true gentleman and a credit to all things VW.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
ugly duckling

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 05:44:47 am »

here is another for you guys that havent seen my pictures. i wish he would had set a record with this car he deffenetly deserived it if he had i know he tryed realy hard but it just wasent meant to be i gusse. UD.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:52:31 am by ugly duckling » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 06:51:23 am »

what's the car on the side of  deano  Huh fiat 850 ??
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:54:22 am by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 00:18:04 am »

Steve Hollingsworth also has velocity measuring capabilities, I believe.  His flowbench almost looks like the Berg's, because the same engineer built it.

Has or had?? Huh

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 00:57:23 am »

He still has it.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
ugly duckling

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 04:12:45 am »

as far as i know that was the old terisoar the one that brother ken took the record in the seventys with a 1835 at the salt flats. i rember seeing the car back when ken had ARPM in santaana kens son used to 1/4 mile the car. the kit styel body as i rember was called the montey deffenetly airodynamic the front end of that car would cut air like a hot knighf would cut cold butter.  sorry to get off subject. UD

max, Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 19:41:28 pm »

I'll probably get shot down for this one but here goes,

Why are you all, me included, willing to spend 1000's of bucks on heads. Only to top them off with a pair of inefficient carbs that require a strong signal to draw fuel through them. You then limit the air flow capabilities of the intake with a venturi, to help strengthen that signal. To top it off you then add a cam with so much overlap that the effective intake bore needs to be something like 40-43mm.

If it's pure HP and driveability that you're after then run something like a 50mm intake bore, no throttle flap and inject the mix directly into the head, oh, and run a decent amount of compression too.
nicolas

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 20:21:35 pm »

I'll probably get shot down for this one but here goes,

Why are you all, me included, willing to spend 1000's of bucks on heads. Only to top them off with a pair of inefficient carbs that require a strong signal to draw fuel through them. You then limit the air flow capabilities of the intake with a venturi, to help strengthen that signal. To top it off you then add a cam with so much overlap that the effective intake bore needs to be something like 40-43mm.

If it's pure HP and driveability that you're after then run something like a 50mm intake bore, no throttle flap and inject the mix directly into the head, oh, and run a decent amount of compression too.

probally true...

but wrong forum!

Grin
K-Roc

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 03:00:49 am »

Port velocity is equally if not more important than flow. Very few head porters are able to measure usable port velocity.

Strange, because port velocity tools are readily available from these guys.
 http://www.audietech.com/

I wonder if too much attention is placed on flow at full lift. The valve only spends a short amount of time at full lift. Wouldn't it be wiser to look mid lift flow numbers, since the valve spends more time there? I think a good example of this is Alan Uyeno's motor. Alan's car runs pump gas and goes 11.90s. Nothing special about the full lift flow numbers, but really good mid lift flow. Heads by K-Roc by the way.

Hey Cameron, The tools to measure port Velocity are readily available from a lot of sources, mine are from Dwyer and I use a basic U tube manometer with the probes on the flow bench at 28" ( usually measuring the velocity at full lift ) Having a set of Velocity probes ( Pitot Tubes ) just to measure average velocity is a waste of money, one can calculate that by simply knowing the cross section of the port and the CFM of flow on the bench.

FPS = _ Flow_CFM *2.4 ) / Average CSA

The thing with velocity probes is the fact that you can measure velocity in specific areas of the port and find the Fast, Slow, and turbulent spots,
Then make your changes to the port.

On Alans port for example I based his port cross sectional area soley on the displacement and RPM at which he wanted his peak HP to occur,while porting them I paid close attention to the average Cross section and the Velocity, that's it... I didn't even flow his heads for a CFM number except for fun after I was finished. ( and the numbers are a lot lower than what most would expect) Chasing raw CFM numbers on a flow bench is about the quickes way to get yourself in trouble.

Mid lift..numbers ...well I'm for good numbers through the entire lift curve,

People will argue the valve sees mid-lifts twice, well what they fail to realize is the valve does not spend as much time as they think because it's moving so fast. At the bottom of the lobe the valve has to be slowed down and stopped. At the top it must stop and change directions. If they had or used a Cam-Doctor(R) they'd understand.

See ya,

K-Roc

Alan's port looks kinda like this one..  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:17:56 am by K-Roc » Logged
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 03:05:12 am »

Now that is what I call a great first post.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
cameron shorey

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 17:24:13 pm »

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the information, and nice photos. I should have been more specific in my post.
The heads that I was refering to were the first set that you did for Alan. You worked your magic, and I was there when you flowed them.
Whatever you did, they the heads worked. Alan's car still made several passes in the high elevens.
Sorry for the crappy picture. Alan's head, on Darren's flowbench.

Edit; Forgot to include the photo.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 17:25:52 pm by cameron shorey » Logged

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: