Feuling

(1/5) > >>

bill stipe:
I know I remember that name, but would someone enlighten us on (was it Jim) Feuling?  I found this center mount in a stash and it jogged my memory a little.

deano:
What a smart guy! Jim Feuling had a tuning shop in El Cajon, CA,  during the mid '70s and mainly did off-road engines. In the late '70s, he opened up a large service center down with Corky McMullen in San Diego, and during that time, came out with the center-mount fan housing. He claimed that CB later "stole" his idea, but that's another story. He also came out with an anti-reversionary exhaust header system about '79, that Cyclone bought the rights to. Jim later moved to Ventura and did work with Oldsmobile on the Quad 4 engine. Ran Bonneville, set records, did aircraft work, and on and on. He passed away a few years ago from cancer. One of the smartest guys I have ever had the pleasure to know. Pure genius.

ugly duckling:
cool story deano. i thoght also he made mechanical injection manifolds also i could be wrong.  thanks bill for showing the cool parts .  UD .

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod:
Jim Feuling made some 4 valve VW heads... Read this...

Jim Feuling was an inventor, author, publisher, philosopher, pilot, motorcycle and automobile designer/builder/racer and leading-edge researcher/developer in the field of engine design and fluid dynamics. Jim founded Feuling R&D/Advanced Technologies in 1974. His experience with high-efficiency engines began at an early age. He started riding motorcycles at age 5 and flying aircraft at age 11. He tuned and raced his own motorcycles and won the California State TT Championship at 16. He graduated from high school in Honolulu, Hawaii, attended Southwestern College and The University of the Seven Seas. Jim served in the United States Army Special Forces. He subsequently began building and racing sports cars and off road cars. Jim scored many off-road racing victories. He was also awarded the prestigious SCORE "Mechanic of the Year" trophy in 1976. His racing engines, high performance components and inventions have been used worldwide, from Daytona to Monaco, from off-road racing to Formula One Grand Prix to the Indy 500. Jim¼s leading edge development work includes his company¼s R&D contracts with Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, John Deere, Harley-Davidson and aircraft companies such as Cessna, Mooney and Quickie. In 1988 he received the "Outstanding Technical Achievement Award" from the National
Engineering Societies for his "clean sheet" design, development and manufacture of the 2.0L Oldsmobile "BE" Quad-4 racing engine used in the Oldsmobile Aerotech Research Vehicle (267.339 mph International Record, driven by A. J. Foyt). His radical design for the Oldsmobile BE 4-cylinder engine developed the highest specific power output of any automotive engine in history (over 1,270 hp from 121 cubic inches).

In addition to racing efforts, Jim also developed the engine for the American Honda high-mileage streamliner, capable of 500 MPG @ 55 mph, and developed the engine for the 2-place Q-2 aircraft, rated the world¼s most efficient. Another one of his highly-recognized products was the well-received 4-Valve cylinder head conversion for Harley-DavidsonÆ Evolution motorcycles. He began manufacturing his patented aluminum CENTERFIREÆ cylinder heads for Chevrolet 454 and Ford 460 truck engines. Jim was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, The American Chemical Society, the International Society for Optical Engineering and a Senior Member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers. He held numerous international land speed records and was a member of the prestigious 300 MPH Chapter of the "Bonneville 200 MPH Club". The Feuling name has been closely associated with ultra-high efficiency, small-displacement engines, but he and his staff had years of experience with engines and powertrains of all sizes, from motorcycles to Indianapolis racing engines to hard-working big-rig diesels.

Jim was a consultant to a number of educational institutions. He also served on the Board of Directors for the San Diego Automotive Museum and has served as a "Distinguished Speaker" in the SAE Industrial Lectureship Program. He was a very popular speaker and has made numerous presentations to SAE, ASME, IMA and SME. He was a featured speaker at the Superflow Advanced Engine Technology Conference on four different occasions; beginning with the 1990 Superflow Advanced Engine Technology Conference on the topic of "Overlap Phenomenon in the Four-Stroke-Cycle Engine," again at the 1991 conference, where his subject was "High Efficiency Sound Attenuation for Internal Combustion Engines." He addressed the 1995 conference on the topic of "Mechanical Octanes" and the 1997 conference on his "ULEV High Performance Engine/Vehicle."

Jim was involved in numerous cutting-edge projects including his radical W3 Motorcycle. A "detonation chamber" engine design, EZEV/zero emissions equivalent vehicles, electronic aerodynamics and his awesome Bonneville Streamliner.

His hobbies included surfing, scuba diving, motorcycles, paranormal phenomenon, UFO¼s, Nikola Tesla and traveling to historic and mysterious places.

After his passing I was going to buy the VW 4 valve engine he designed but instead decided that it should be sold to SCAT industries about 6 years ago.

deano:
I forgot all about the 4-valve VW head. Made serious power on a 400cc one-cylinder VW test engine (1/4 of a 1600). Thanks Steve for just a taste of how smart Jim was.... wow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page