The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:05:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Scandinavian Cal-look Classic (the event)
| | |-+  US Europe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: US Europe  (Read 23065 times)
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« on: December 01, 2010, 20:10:06 pm »

This is what a lot of guys have been waiting for. It’s been speculated for years, but until now it was just a dream. Now the super-enthusiastic crew of SCC has stepped up. Yes, the UNLIMITED STREET race is coming to Europe.

The Unlimited Street was introduced in early 2000s by Dominick Luppino, and in the beginning it took place once a year in the Vegas Bugorama. Later the concept was adapted to the East coast, and the Southern parts of USA. The quickest times in the states have been in 9.3s, but as always in drag racing, the quickest guy has not always won.

This year the interest to do this in Europe grew, we asked Mr. Luppino if we could adopt the class, talked to the SCC crew, and now we are happy to announce that the first ever Unlimited Street Europe will take place in SCC 2011.

The rules have been the same since the beginning, and they will be adopted 1:1.
•   Any four cylinder, air cooled, rear-engine VW powered vehicle allowed
•   Minimum vehicle weight (with driver) 1700 lbs (775kg)
•   Must have two front seats
•   Must have functioning headlights & tail lights
•   No Wheelie Bars allowed
•   Proof of Registration and Insurance Required
•   Vehicle must have all required safety equipment for ET/MPH as per NHRA Rules
•   Muffler required on ALL vehicles
•   Vehicles must complete an approximate 20 mile (30km) Street Cruise prior to the event
•   Recommend (but not required) decals and stickers on quarter and rear windows, not on body of vehicle
•   No tow vehicles allowed (Vehicle must drive to the Starting Line and return to the Pits under its own power.)

Anyone interested?

Jyrki

ps. more info on its way
Jussifin

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 20:23:18 pm »

Interesting, but how we can make so heavy cars... Grin   

Maybe we could drive also a Scandinavian Street VW-cup:   VW-OPEN +  NEW SWEDEN RACE KJULA + SCC Huh

Jussi

(Now our winterhobbies are near to become true: historicrally Ghia Coupe is F.I.A.-approved and Classic VW-racing begins in january...)
 Grin

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 20:52:52 pm »

I wish you all the best of luck, enjoy!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 21:35:34 pm »

I wish you all the best of luck, enjoy!

Thanks Dominick!

Yes YES YES!

Finally we will have a go here in Europe as well and I`m really looking forward to this.

CRUISE - RACE - FUN, that`s what it is all about.

Keep a eye on this thread and welcome to Unlimited Street Europe 2011.

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 23:09:38 pm »

Does a turbo quality as a muffler? Or do I actually have to weld a muffler just for that event? :-)
Looking forward to joining it

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:50:41 am »

Does a turbo quality as a muffler? Or do I actually have to weld a muffler just for that event? :-)

You must use a muffler, a turbo is not a muffler, sorry.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:10 am »

You must use a muffler, a turbo is not a muffler, sorry.

Thats fine :-)
The muffler is already laying in the garage, I just need to weld it to make it fit nicely... then its bolt on...

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:33:15 am »

We hope to see as many racers as possible!!! You don't need to be the fastest guy on the planet to join; just as Kalle says, "this is about having fun".
Maybe the interested racers could sign up here (non binding), and even introduce themselves??

Please let me start: I have raced in SCC since 2006 (with Kalle's '65 nitrous car!!!), in 2008 with my naturally aspirated '55 (sold w/o engine since then) and in 2010 with my '65, and attended as spectator in 2009. To me SCC is the main VW drag racing event, and I will do my best to attend to the US Europe in SCC 2011 with my '65 turbo street beetle. This is the car I have had for almost 23 years, has seen quite a few phases of evolution, was in hibernation 2006-2009, and finally driven & raced again in 2010. It was a very good season, ending with a new personal record in SCC. I built the car in early 90s, with some major upgrades in early and mid 2000s. It's a street car, with a 2332cc turbo EFI IC, E85 fuel, Mendy and back-half. I am the first to admit it is not a "Real Street" car which you could drive hundreds of kilometers to a race, nor suitable for daily transportation. 
The plan for next season is to do only some minor stuff with the car, like replace the cam (was FK-89, now replaced by FK-45 on 112LC), new bigger injectors to support more boost on E85 fuel, possibly replace the Holset with a Garret GT40, but basically it is the same as before. Actually I have already freshened the engine and put the long block back together. I was happy to find out that all it needed was lapping the valves and strangely a new set of cam bearrings. Well, I also replaced the rod bearrings and bolts, since they were from ~2004. Before the SCC I need to dyno & tune it, and then work on the suspension so that I can get rid of the wheelie bars.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jyrki
marcus ösd

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »

wow thats sounds great Cheesy maybe i should enter my car (if i get it finished)
Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 14:19:39 pm »

wow thats sounds great Cheesy maybe i should enter my car (if i get it finished)

Another reason! Don´t forget the Turbo Town Shootout  Grin

I think this is a very nice idea! hmmm I wonder if I can get the Notch to...

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 22:57:47 pm »

Hi everyone,

a short intro: My first race ever was at SCC 2004 while SCC still was a joint venture with a am-car event. At that time we were lucky if we got 3-4 runs over the weekend and now the most eager racers can do 20+ runs over the SCC weekend. I raced my old 65 at that time with a 2221ccm engine, FK8`ish cam, 10.5 compression and if I`m not mistaking I managed a 14.3 and was hooked BIGTIME! Changed the cam to a FK46 and heads to wedgeports and added a little shot of nitrous. That version of the engine dynoed 188hp NA at the JPM dynoday 2005 and 215hp with a very small shot added into the mix. I believe that I managed 13.00 with gas. Again I changed the cam that coming winter to a FK89 and also opened up the manifolds and that really made a difference. 12.55 without gas. Before I sold the 65 in 2007 I managed to get my ET down to 11.81.

In 2008 I found my current car which is a US 67. I rebuilt the car completely during 2008 - 2009 and it got a new KCR gearbox in combination with a 2332 Nitrous engine. I fought clutch issues the whole 2009 season and during the 2009 winter I opened up the engine again, changed the cam, lowered the CR and added a turbo. Did get a few runs in at SCC 2010 but nothing to mention really. The turbo version of the car is fully streetable on E85 but I have to admit that it is not the most comfy car out there. According to the rules I only need to add a muffler and I should be ready for the Unlimited Street Europe class. The spirit is high and I cant wait to go racing again!! I hope to see YOU at SCC 2011 as well!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:49:54 am by BeetleBug » Logged

bang

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 22:14:19 pm »

jussi.. how to make a bug heavy.. just ad a type 4 engine  Grin Grin Grin Grin

hope you can take it Tongue
Jesse Wens

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:42 pm »

is lpg (lquid propan allowed as a street fuel and maybe more important , is it allowed by the tech inspection.
We had no problems racing in bitburg and chimay, drove the car to both events too. Last year we drove too scc too but with a bone stock 1300 due to the former engine having a massive failure while driving to the spa francoshamps bug show a few weeks before.

thanks to julian hunt foor picture buy the way

This year full cage will be installed with renault UN1 gearbox
Engine will be 1835 cc with turbo. Turbo is flowed to 260 hp. engine will run on lpg with twin spark by DTA engine management.

The idea behind the car is an all pupose vehicle, perfectly street driveble, autocross, hill-climbing, circuitracing and dragracing.

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 13:17:17 pm »

is lpg (lquid propan allowed as a street fuel and maybe more important , is it allowed by the tech inspection.

Good questions,

Street legal - YES
Race legal - I will have to check and get back to you. Until then, consider it legal.

Best rgs
BB

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 16:35:10 pm »

As far as U/S rules, any fuel is legal but I'm not sure as for your track rules in Europe.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 17:53:15 pm »

Good questions,

Street legal - YES
Race legal - I will have to check and get back to you. Until then, consider it legal.

Best rgs
BB

My guess is you have to follow the rules for NOS  Wink

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
TurboVW

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 13:25:59 pm »

This sounds like a great idea! I'm in!

My car makes the rules without any changes...

Just have to deside wish engine to use, the small 1641cc (400hp) or the larger 2275cc with more power.
Maybe I bring both if one of them breaks!

2009: 10,15s @ 219km/h 2275T
2010: 10,18s @ 216km/h with 1641ccT
2012: 9,55s @ 228km/h 1641T with the ghia
Airspeed

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 17:38:42 pm »

Very cool! I really like the idea. Not sure if I can make event(s), but will deff. try to be there!

My bug is basically a track/circuit car and obviously not cal-look. Can it still enter? As a track/street car it is about..~950kg in drag mode without driver (!) In street/circuit trim it will be more close to 1000 kg so I think I meet the weight limit  Grin
The upside is it drives to everywhere on its own and that is part of my fun.
Currently it has 400 hp (turbo 2.2) at high boost (24 psi max) and did 11.6 @ 120 mph without right hand side seat..
It has 6-point cage and a muffler already as most circuits have noise restrictions already and that will increase is my feeling.

Question: what tires will be allowed at the strip? Will people drive the 30km with pure drag slicks is allowed?

Tip: I would change the title to Ultimate Street Europe instead of US Europe. I thought this was about travel arrangements from the US to Europe wrt the next SCC... Roll Eyes

Thanks for the initiative,
Walter
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 21:38:59 pm by Airspeed » Logged

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 22:59:48 pm »

Hi,

Good to hear there are interested racers. The low-10sec 1641cc is most impressive.

Here are some answers:
You don't need to have a Cal-look car in Unlimited Street, "Any four cylinder, air cooled, rear-engine VW powered vehicle allowed".
Airspeed's 950kg without driver is really heavy - I thought my '65 beetle was heavy as it is 922kg WITH driver.
Airspeed, please note that you'd need to have a seat for passenger to meet the rules; the extra weight of one seat is "nothing".
Any tires allowed at the strip; either street legal tires or race slicks. For the cruise I don't think you are allowed to run racing slicks in Norway???

Jyrki

Very cool! I really like the idea. Not sure if I can make event(s), but will deff. try to be there!

My bug is basically a track/circuit car and obviously not cal-look. Can it still enter? As a track/street car it is about..~950kg in drag mode without driver (!) In street/circuit trim it will be more close to 1000 kg so I think I meet the weight limit  Grin
The upside is it drives to everywhere on its own and that is part of my fun.
Currently it has 400 hp (turbo 2.2) at high boost (24 psi max) and did 11.6 @ 120 mph without right hand side seat..
It has 6-point cage and a muffler already as most circuits have noise restrictions already and that will increase is my feeling.

Question: what tires will be allowed at the strip? Will people drive the 30km with pure drag slicks is allowed?

Tip: I would change the title to Ultimate Street Europe instead of US Europe. I thought this was about travel arrangements from the US to Europe wrt the next SCC... Roll Eyes

Thanks for the initiative,
Walter
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

I am happy to see there is interest in this class. Please note that this is not overriding any of the current SCC classes, this will be on top of them.

There has been some discussion about the rules. Not going into details, the principal idea is quite different to a lot of other classes of racing or show. Typically the classes are based on restrictions and the spirit of the class is mentioned when the rules are interpreted to a certain car. You know; “the color scheme/headliner/stance is not in the spirit of the class and the car should be eliminated”. This is fine to me, I love those classes as well ("been there, done that, got the t-shirt"). This is where the big difference is compared to Unlimited Street, where the spirit is open and you are allowed to do almost anything within the simple rules. As the rules say “These are the only rules...no more, no less.”.

I hope I have understood the spirit of the class as it was intended to be. Mr. Luppino, please give your comments if there is anything to add or modify.

Jyrki
Airspeed

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 23:27:54 pm »

Thanks for your answers Jyrki! Good to learn we can use any tire on the track.

I really like the spirit you describe and as Kalle says: it should especially be FUN !
Hope to be there comming year  Smiley

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Jussifin

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 22:54:20 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Maybe i should have bigger type 4 to make a heavier car....
  Lower 10s N/A needs more power or less kilos, which is easier  -let see...
  Now it is winterrallytime; Ghia goes nice in the snowy countryroads.  Until this, it has been more on the road than out of the road Grin Grin Grin

Jussi

Jesse Wens

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 20:15:52 pm »

Can anybody confirm that lpg is a legal fuel for tech inspection?
thanks

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 21:11:51 pm »

Can anybody confirm that lpg is a legal fuel for tech inspection?
thanks

Hi,
LPG is ok for Unlimited Street, and according to the Finnish official rules (which are more or less taken from NHRA and FIA) state (Google translation):
"Alternative Fuel: Alternative Fuel tanks must be permanently
 marked by the manufacturer to fit LPG or propane. The container should be
 vented outside the body. The system must be NFPA 1952 compliant
 pressure release valve and manual shut-off valve. All hoses should be clearly
 and indelibly marked by the manufacturer that indicates the manufacturer's name and
 operating pressure. Plastic, cast iron, galvanized, copper or aluminum tubes or
 hoses banned."

My interpretion is that since LPG in mentioned, it means that it is approved.
Maybe someone from Norway could confirm that you go by the international drag racing safety rules?

Jyrki
Jesse Wens

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 23:43:22 pm »

. Plastic, cast iron, galvanized, copper or aluminum tubes or
 hoses banned."

Could be troublesome, normal instalation of LPG by the book has unmarked copperhose running from tank to vaporiser under high pressure.

mr horsepower

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 21:40:50 pm »

Hi my car has all the requierments exept one .
its a wbx.

Cry
Lil Gasser

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:33 am »

Do you have an idea of how you will run this yet? when will you do the cruise? will qualifying be on saturday or just sunday? and how will you run eliminations?

thanks  L G
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:10 pm »

Do you have an idea of how you will run this yet? when will you do the cruise? will qualifying be on saturday or just sunday? and how will you run eliminations?

thanks  L G

Hi and thanks for asking:

At this early stage the plans are:

Friday:

- Tech spec
- Cruise

Saturday

- Qualifying
- Eliminations

Sunday

If we for a reason is not able to finish on Saturday we can continue on Sunday.

Remember, joining the Unlimited Street Europe does not stop you from racing in the other classes at SCC.

Welcome!

Best rgs
BB

Lil Gasser

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 14:52:02 pm »

Thankyou

L G
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 20:19:12 pm »

Hello hello hello,

It is time to start the final arrangements for the Unlimited Street Europe race in SCC 2011. Before going into those, we would ask the prospective participants to pre-registrater to the race. We would need a minimum of 8 participants to run the class, but the more the merrier!!! Please remember, this is about having fun.

Racers, please add your name to the list:
1. Kalle
2. Jyrki

Thanks,
Jyrki
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: