The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 23:36:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Fueling issue (tune has gone very very rich all of the sudden) 48IDAs on pump ga
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Fueling issue (tune has gone very very rich all of the sudden) 48IDAs on pump ga  (Read 14002 times)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:23 am »

JR,
Did you ever check running voltage to MSD? Coul di t be a battery on the way out limiting system voltage???
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:03 am »

Forgot how good the good ol 009 runs.

You obviously don't read the Samba forums.  Roll Eyes

If its german it will be fine Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 01:35:37 am »

Back in biz.

needed 120 idle air holder and 34 deg total. And better brakes  Shocked

I'm really happy with 009. MSD distributor is getting shelved.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:29 am »

Back in biz.

All fixed? Cool!  Can you explain what the MSD dist. was doing/or not doing?  I think there's a lesson to be learned
from your experience.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 03:35:41 am »

And better brakes  Shocked

Go for 4 wheel disc, they're AWESOME. I used AirKewld Bad, but it was a mistake to upgrade to 4 piston calipers in front ... Too much brake & not enough tire, no matter what I run.

Wonder how it'd perform with an 010 ... ?

Glad you got it straightened out.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 07:51:36 am »

Back in biz.

All fixed? Cool!  Can you explain what the MSD dist. was doing/or not doing?  I think there's a lesson to be learned
from your experience.

X2

Done ? Not Yet.
Bruce

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 08:28:34 am »

Can you explain what the MSD dist. was doing/or not doing? 
It was doing what MSD does.  Mysterious Spark Disappearance.

IMO people buy that MSD crap because everyone else has it.  What problem do you have that you need solved with the MSD?

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems."
besserwisser

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:24 am »

I´m changing all my cars to magnetos that I have bought from industrial engines. I take them with me to San Fransisco on my yearly trips and leave them at Joe Hunt in Sacramento. In the end after rebuild to 009 curve they cost less than a MSD system and needs no service. If they trusted magnetos in airplanes during WW2 I would think they are pretty reliable. I did notice on my racecar that it seemed like the power was erratic and it would stop reving at different rpm,s when racing. I also noticed in two of the racecars that I built the motors to when they drove a couple of times without charging the battery the ignition would go haywire. My opinion of the MSD is that it is to sensative to have in a racecar and we have noticed a decline in power on the dyno when going from the 009 to MSD. Of course this is not statisticly proven but it made it easy for me to decide to get rid of the MSD. Sorry for barging in on your thread but maybe this will give you some ideas.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 16:52:04 pm »

Can you explain what the MSD dist. was doing/or not doing? 
It was doing what MSD does.  Mysterious Spark Disappearance.

IMO people buy that MSD crap because everyone else has it.  What problem do you have that you need solved with the MSD?

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems."

Locked advance is 1 reason it stayed in my car for 15 years it was in there. Car typically ran trouble free aside from heat soak/hot start issues in summer, so I never gave it a second thought. Carbs would need periodical adjustments and cleaning/lubricating @ accelerator roller/cam. Not until this latest run in with crap driveability and hearing guys here did I ever suspect the distributor. So what it looks like is boot @ harness deteriorated and allowed moisture into distributor and corroded triggers and pickup (car gets driven in rain and parked outside @ work in rain)
lawrence

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 21:43:21 pm »

It is interesting to see that a change of distributor necessitated a different idle air. It almost seems like the MSD was capable of burning the richer fuel mixture at idle?? or something like that. Although the ignition box is what creates the spark?

I have a Mallory Unilite and I noticed my engine did not like the light springs that most people run. Advance was occuring at idle, so it might have had something to do with initial advance setting. I went to a heavier spring and the difference in operation was obvious.
*Oh, I think you were referring to valve springs; extra 800 rpm.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Sarge

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 14:11:17 pm »

...."people buy that MSD crap because everyone else has it"..

The same could be said of a number of Cal Look staples like over-thought fuel delivery systems and exhaust size.  Sometimes it's small and simple that works best.

DKP III
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 17:48:55 pm »

The same could be said of a number of Cal Look staples like over-thought fuel delivery systems and exhaust size.  Sometimes it's small and simple that works best.

I've said that to the wife before  Cheesy

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Sarge

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 18:08:13 pm »

I've said that to the wife before  Cheesy

Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:14 am »

Smiley exactly why I keep threatening to build a 90.5 x 76, Engle 140, VW heads, big comprende, 48's...and (I guess) a 009.
58vw

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 04:50:43 am »

engle 140...loved that cam...1985... 1835 with 140 in it....48s....ran like a raped ape

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: