The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:17:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Ultimate Street breather...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Street breather...?  (Read 21578 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: September 04, 2010, 06:26:12 am »

Ok .......What would be consided the ultimate street breather on a "Big street motor"....just when is it enough....? What is too much ...? What is too little ...?it's the last phase of my motor and looking for some advice ....?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
stoneloco808

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 07:39:30 am »

I acutally like the Berg breathers.  I have used them on 1.9L up to 2.3L street engines w/dual IDAs.  I am sure I would be satisfied with the CSP brand as well.  But never got a chance to get one as I have been satisfied with the Berg units.

Clyde Berg makes a breather box that mounts to the firewall.  He has 2 different types, race and street.  I ended up getting a race type, w/multiple AN-10 fittings.  I didn't use it yet as, I am still collecting parts for this street/strip screamer engine combo.

I don't really care for those small breather box kits sold by Bugpack, Empi, and who ever else.  I am sure everyone knows or seen these kits, they come with the clear hose.  I have bought a couple in the past, will not buy anymore.  So far I have these on small engines, 1.7L or smaller.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:19:29 am »

I have the Clyde Berg breather....But also have the chance to pick up a Berg too...The Berg breather has 2 an 8 outlets ..!..What I would like to know is will it be enough..!...I am not to sure if I want to mount Clydes Breather to my firewall...? If the Berg is just as good then its a easy choice..! I like the fact that its self contained..!..and not having to run a third hose ...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
thejohn66

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:24:33 am »

hand made by Pete Bolas

Bitburg motor boating club member.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:04 am »

Pete´s is very very nice crafted and welded. His and the similar Berg / CSP and the somewhat cheaper CB types are sufficient for most, as long as youre not pushing a high output high cc engine on the quarter or down the Autobahn. Then the volume is not enough. For sustained high rpm a rule of thumb is that you need the displacement multiplied by 0,9 in the breather box, so that the pulsing from the engine has enough area to calm down in and thereby release its oil fog to droplets and back into the engine.

In fact, many of these boxes, even some of the high priced ones are not designed correct at all, because they have no inside surface area for the oil fog to attach to, which makes them more for the look than how they actually work. For mild to medium sizes and power engines I also some the on the shelf types. But for high output engines I get them made the way they should be made, with much more inside surface, and with the studs where I want them. Since I began doing that we "suddenly" had much less problems with oil dripping and consumption (spill) at high rpm.
T
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 15:03:32 pm »

I personally like the Sil Modesti made breathers.  I have been using them for years with much success.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
stoneloco808

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 17:04:15 pm »

Wow, that Pete Bolas and Sil Modesti built breathers are pieces of art. 

How does a yank get one of these?
Donny B.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 17:19:31 pm »

Sil Modesti is in Phoenix, Arizona.  You just need to phone him at 602-265-0401.  By the way they aren't cheap.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
kustomlarry

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 19:40:03 pm »

I picked up and installed a Clyde Berg on my bug....I love it....It is beautiful.

Larry

Shot at 2010-09-03
glenn

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 20:05:23 pm »

The Berg breather has served me well for 20 years.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
stoneloco808

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 22:39:35 pm »

Sil Modesti is in Phoenix, Arizona.  You just need to phone him at 602-265-0401.  By the way they aren't cheap.

Info saved, thanks.  Hopefully these don't cost 3 times what a Berg unit goes for.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 23:03:19 pm »

I personally like the Sil Modesti made breathers.  I have been using them for years with much success.
Is his breather a stand alone breather or you use it with another breather? Any pics of the whole setup?

Ted

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 23:20:00 pm »

My own problem is that I get a little oil coming out the Berg Breather on 2303cc just cruzing from the Jamboree to Whittier, just easy driving. I'm going from the Berg breather I have now to the new/old style sealed Berg Breather with a Fast Fab Breather firewall mount, for more volume. Or with what I have suppose to be effient? I noticed alot of guy's running the Berg Breather with BIG motors and are clean of any oil.  Huh

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 00:36:22 am »

I picked up and installed a Clyde Berg on my bug....I love it....It is beautiful.

Larry

Shot at 2010-09-03
Yeah It Looks Great ..!!! Not so bad with the extra hose ...!....I will be running a thing shroud with mine ...should'nt be a issue...?

Donny B.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 15:54:23 pm »

Is his breather a stand alone breather or you use it with another breather? Any pics of the whole setup?

It is a stand alone and is custom made to your specs.  Mine has two AN-8 fittings at the bottom for the valve covers and two AN-6 fittings at the top for the aircleaners.  There are two baffles inside.  What I have found with mine is that with the engine running I can hold my hand over the top (opened) and feel it puff into my hand and if I put my hand down to close the opening I can feel my hand sucked down. 

Sil also modifies the stand so there is a flange and a chamfer in the opening into the stand.  The breather has a tube that goes into that opening with an o-ring to make a positive seal.  The cap is a racer part with an o-ring as well.  No leaks.  Sil will put as many fittings as you like, either push on or AN in any size you want.  I have not had any issues with oil in the engine compartment with mine, however I have a sorta mild 2165 that will go to 7k rpm, but not often any more.  Cruise at 80mph and stays dry.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
thejohn66

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 23:26:04 pm »

I am using the one pictured purely for the crank case. I am using a seperate breather tube for the rocker covers

Bitburg motor boating club member.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:11 am »

I'm kinda curious what is the difference as far as volume between the new/old style breather and there, will call it there late breather. But the question still stands, is the Berg Late Breather is enough for a 2L, technically?  What is the ideal breather for a 2L with IDA's and a FK-8?

Ted
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:11:44 am by HotRod Ted » Logged

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 04:15:17 am »

The Berg breather has served me well for 20 years.

Say Glenn, where does that hose go that comes off the top of your breather? By the way, nice clean motor!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
H67bug

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:29 am »

For sustained high rpm a rule of thumb is that you need the displacement multiplied by 0,9 in the breather box, so that the pulsing from the engine has enough area to calm down in and thereby release its oil fog to droplets and back into the engine.

That is the first time I have seen some exact, usable science mentioned in this debate- thank you.

Would you happen to know how I measure the volume of a breather unit?- Fill it with water maybe? I have a Sil Modesti unit fitted but have not run up the motor yet.  Previously I ran an early berg unit- very pretty but the cap ( I tried 2!) always fell off making a mess and requiring cable ties to keep it on. If anyone knows the volume of the Sil modesti unit it will save me removing it :-)

Thanks
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:45:19 am »

CSP breather. It works and it does not leak.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:25 am »

For sustained high rpm a rule of thumb is that you need the displacement multiplied by 0,9 in the breather box, so that the pulsing from the engine has enough area to calm down in and thereby release its oil fog to droplets and back into the engine.

I would really appreciate more information on the subject. Figures are always great but I feel there are a couple missing:
What should be the size of the hose to the box, and at what length? (up to what rpm/engine size)
How much bigger does the hose need to be if it's longer?
How much "free" area does the air filter (s) need, and what about the bottle neck before the filter.
How big must the box be to be able to run as a closed loop?

So if you have the time Torben I would love to get some empirical data. Smiley
I'm not to concerned about names of the welders and finishes, but the theory and how it works.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 16:23:16 pm by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Donny B.

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 14:51:40 pm »

If anyone knows the volume of the Sil modesti unit it will save me removing it

Sorry, I don't know the volume of the Sil Modesti breather, I just know that it works well.  My engine is a 2165 running DCNFs and I have no issues.  I think it will work better with air cleaners, knowing that most folks with IDAs don't have them.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 20:12:51 pm »

I remember years back when Donny B accidentally forgot to put the cap back on his Sil Modesti breather and drove accross town without the cap on.  When he got home there was not one drop of oil that had blown out of the engine.  It was incredible how well Sil's breather worked. It made a believer out of me.  I had a BERG breather on my 2110 at the time and had modified it so I was happy with it too.  Still, the Modesti breather does work.

As long as the breather is baffled properly and allows the motor to breath, there are many options to choose from.  I prefer the BERG and MODESTI breathers as I have experience with both.  A Modesti breather is going on my new 2275.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:46 am »

thanks for the Info Rick....Thats what I am looking for ....I have Clyde's Breather with 3 AN fittings ...But I wonder if the Berg Breather with 2 AN fittings will be just as good ..?

By the way Rick ..the motor it will be going on is the case you sold me about 4 years ago...!!!...Finally about ready to install it !!...taken so long but gettin there !
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 17:07:33 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:24:33 am »

A breather does not know if it is on the street or not. And why do people still breath from their valve covers?

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 01:36:57 am »

And why do people still breath from their valve covers?

The Porsche 912 did, but only from the 1-2 side. What's the harm?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 03:51:32 am »

And why do people still breath from their valve covers?

The Porsche 912 did, but only from the 1-2 side. What's the harm?

Both valve covers were vented on Super 90's

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 04:04:00 am »

I always thought that venting the valve covers was a personal preference thing... and not a requirement. Whatever works, I guess.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
stealth67vw

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 04:33:52 am »

Didn't the heads get vented on late type 3s also.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Neil Davies

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:25 am »

I've had a couple of different breather stups, both made from old halon fire extinguishers. The first one was a 1L aluminium one fitted in a mountain bike bottle holder that was mounted to the firewall between the hinge mounts just off horizontal. The nozzle was modified to take a breather tube and holes were drilled in the bottle around the top - gasses had to go all the way down the pick-up tube inside the bottle before they could get up to the holes. I had the valve covers, generator stand and fuel pump block off vented to the same line using T-pieces - it was ok at sub 5.5k rpms, but above that it would pressurise the 1&2 rocker cover and cause leaks. I re-arranged the tubes and t-pieces and it was better, but still not perfect so when I got my 2180 I had a steel fire extinguisher (about 1.5L) with four angle fittings welded to the sides and a small K&N style filter at the nozzle end. That one was mounted vertically and never leaked at all.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: