The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:43:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Steering box rebuild
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Steering box rebuild  (Read 3607 times)
SteveW

« on: May 09, 2008, 14:57:24 pm »

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get my original steering box rebuilt? It doesn't nesseceraly need doing as it feels ok but i'd like it doing just to be safe!

Thanks
Steve

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 15:57:16 pm »

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get my original steering box rebuilt? It doesn't nesseceraly need doing as it feels ok but i'd like it doing just to be safe!

Thanks
Steve

Pervert! Grin

I think there's a bloke who's normally at BVF who does them. I think that's his only show - don't recall ever seeing him anywhere else. But I've not been to BVF in a few years so not sure if he still does that show at all. Not got a clue about his name though! Roll Eyes Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Phil West

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 13:51:05 pm »

Thanks
Steve

brand new box from German and Swedish will set you back 70 quid and you get total peace of mind.  Rebuild of an old box will cost that and you still have old parts!  I was considering doing mine but was much easier and safer to fit a new one.  The G&S one is a VW audi stamped one from South America and seems really good quality.
Cheers
Phil
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 14:49:19 pm »

Thanks
Steve

brand new box from German and Swedish will set you back 70 quid and you get total peace of mind.  Rebuild of an old box will cost that and you still have old parts!  I was considering doing mine but was much easier and safer to fit a new one.  The G&S one is a VW audi stamped one from South America and seems really good quality.
Cheers
Phil

German & Swedish? shame on you phil!
Steve, i can do you a good price Wink

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 16:38:09 pm »

If there's no play in the worm gear, just run the original box. there's not much to wear out

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
axam48ida

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:08:33 am »

Where can you get one of those german and or swedish units. the crap they sell here in the states is a cheap one...
thanks for the leads.
Cheers
Phil
[/quote]

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
Phil West

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:12 am »

Where can you get one of those german and or swedish units. the crap they sell here in the states is a cheap one...
thanks for the leads.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/catalogues/gsf_aircooled_1006.pdf page 15 part 43000 £62+17.5% VAT.  Not sure if they ship overseas mind.  I swapped out the original on my 61 - note this box has the smaller shaft so I had to get a later pitman arm ('67 I think?).  I use it for drag racing (big wheelies) and it's been great, very tight.  Good fit when it went on.

Sorry Ben not sure what you guys sell but I know this one works!! Wink
SteveW

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:35:08 am »

Thanks all! Ben, I'll speak to you soon! (Are the pans in yet?!!)

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
ESH

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:04 am »

..Are the pans in yet?...

Shocked

The great British pan draught! The guy doing Sal's car is waiting for those too.  Still waiting's no problem, when we got the heater channel bottoms made that took a year! Cheesy
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:24:52 am »

Are the pans in yet?

just waiting for customs Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
SteveW

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »

Cool! Hopefully in time for Wayne's this weekend then!!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: