The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:35:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  still cutting it fine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: still cutting it fine  (Read 9002 times)
whirligig

« on: February 10, 2013, 20:41:31 pm »

so took the race bug down to daughters fellas (Napstock customs)last week then went down on sat morning ,by 3ish it was a bare shell  :ohow many weeks to callook week end at shakey,looks like we have to get our fingers out.will try to get some pics up .dont want to give the game away but the stance police are on the case and so is the diet crew.shame we dont have enough££££s for glass front wings and bonnet.(unless some one has some very cheap and I mean CHEAP).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:12:49 am by whirligig » Logged

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 21:00:08 pm »

Dave, I'm in a similar position - I picked up my new car on Saturday! Shocked Well, to be exact, we picked up a 10-sec tagged cage, most of a bodyshell and a floorpan in need of some work... I'm being more realistic with Gary's Picnic as my target! Why do we do this? Shocked Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:05 am »

Blimey that really is last minute, I'm hoping to get mine finished for March the 15th the VWDRC test day. Car will only be a year and and a half late from being ready!  Shocked  Roll Eyes

Look forward to seeing the changes Dave.

Neil- what are you building now- any pics?
Andy Sykes

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 21:24:43 pm »

I'm over 3 years late lol

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Airspeed

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 22:32:10 pm »

You only know how late you are when you've arrived...

just saying mate  Cheesy

Wish I could be there with ya though  Wink
oh well.., whats another year hey?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 23:58:29 pm »

Neil- what are you building now- any pics?

Hi Rich, just a low budget street and strip late model, California Look on the top but pretty much stripped out inside and underneath.  2007cc motor, real 8-spokes, presentable from 30ft at 30mph! I'll do a build thread when I start building it - I haven't got any pictures worth posting yet! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
whirligig

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 23:38:28 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] bit to do!!!!!!

whirligig

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 17:13:42 pm »

so 6 weeks left and the body came of the floor pan last night!!!!!!!!!bonus the pan can get shot blasted ,only one small (8mm) hole on rh rear corner .dont know if heater channells will be repaired or replaced but all the pan bolts undid ok .will see if the pics will post.

dannyboy

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 18:13:23 pm »

its a cool car as it was look forward to seeing it redone  Cool

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
whirligig

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 22:25:43 pm »

it wont look a lot differant,just lower at the front.theres a lot of work gone in so far,paint striping as interior is getting a freash coat and hammerite is a bitch to remove(ask Holly)frame horns and rear shock mounts tied in to cage etc All custom made by Pete at Napstok Customs (blatant plug)he has all the fabrication tools I wish I had,english wheel,folders,bead roller ,single sided spotwelder ect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 21:09:52 pm by whirligig » Logged

whirligig

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 19:48:46 pm »

It gets worse :opete was sending the floor pan for blasting,hes now decided to send the shell as well ::)recons its easyer to paint the whole thing than to try and patch bits.wish I could afford those glass front gasser wings and bonnet.sun glasses will be needed for cal look weekend-------shiny Cool

whirligig

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 20:17:28 pm »

update-------new front beams made,heater channells look like collanders so are getting replaced.floor pan painted in 2k gloss .gearbox back from bears next week and all the axle tubes ect are back from the platers .the doors are bad but will be looking at them tomorrow ,shame rob the manx hasnt got around to making some glass ones .will it be ready for cal look weekender?Huh?stay tuned.     

whirligig

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 10:25:47 am »

no time to post or put up pics!!!!!!  so new doors from Heritage as old ones looked like pepper pot lids.heater channells moded ,strightened and new closing panels used.inner pipe removed ect.roll cage should have been painted last night and finish welding on shell today .floor pan assembled but stuck for gearbox as Bears forgot to order correct 4th gear ,wont be ready till thurs ::)day of for me today (apart from grief from the misiss to do some work at home)cant do much to help.will start to make wiring boards/loom tomorrow.big buid next fri/sat to get to Shakey for sunday.LOADS OF TIME!!!!!!!!!

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 21:26:44 pm »

Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing it! I've given up on my deadline of Garys Picnic, it'll be done when its done... Better right than rushed, and I still haven't decided on what's going to happen at the back - IRS or swing axle, typ1 or bus box, raised or stock mounts etc! Lots to think about!

dannyboy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 21:53:31 pm »

plenty of time i still havent fired mine up got most of the birds nest that is the loom fitted today a few more wires in the arvo and it shouls fire then i have to tidy it all up
keep  at it  Wink

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
whirligig

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 18:37:25 pm »

made as much of the loom ect as pos on monday,pete is still welding.left there at 8pm and he was going to finish all the welding that night,still had rear corners of roof to make ,drivers door piller to fit roll cage is painted when inside of body is done then it can be fitted THEN THE HEATER CHANALS CAN BE WELDED IN!!!!!!! a lot of faffing.plan is body goes back on pan sat morning------looks like another all nighter.

whirligig

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 20:01:12 pm »

OK so we didnt make the cal look with the beep,the body went on the pan for a test fit on sat 7pm ish ,had issues with gear box,bad pattern/wrong bits (rear brake clys boxed as >67 were 68>)good old mega bug.the anti bump steer bushes have the taper machined to deep so rod ends pulled down solid onto steering arm ,so just a load of shit like that put us 2 days behind.plan now is to assemble it in primer and go to Shakey test and tune in 2 weeks then take shell back of for paint and reasemble for MSA round on May bank hol.Thing is its being built to show standard in a race car way.

Dead Dog

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 20:53:46 pm »

Pppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftt (thats me spitting whiskey at my laptop)

Grin

VWDRC PRO 102 - 11.85 @ 107mph
T1 1914 omex 600 t3/4 turbo

WRP Paint & Restoration - VWDRC Sponsor 2012 & 2013
whirligig

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 22:59:10 pm »

wiring loom ,fuel pump/filter and line in ,engine fired up first time yesterday and hopfully its been driven today.if we get it all done test drive at Shakey on sunday.

whirligig

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 21:27:01 pm »

well it drives ;Dbodys off again for final welding and will be going back on saturday so we can test at shakey on sunday.looks like it wont be painted for springspeed .plans are to have it painted ect for Garys Picnic so see you OFF boys and gals then.

dannyboy

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 22:40:24 pm »

look forward to it  Smiley

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: