The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:36:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  HOW MUCH OIL PRESSURE DOES A TURBO NEED!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HOW MUCH OIL PRESSURE DOES A TURBO NEED!!  (Read 9508 times)
tikimadness

« on: May 29, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »

I'm using a air research TO4 turbo on my type 4 and the thing is that my oil pressure is on the low side.
It's the same engine I used to run N/A and back then it had good pressure. 2-3 bar @ 1000rpm and 5 bar when on throttle.
Now I have hardly 1 bar on throttle.

Now because the oil feed to the turbo comes from the main gallery so that's why i lost so much pressure.I think the turbo is getting to much pressure which in the end will result in the turbo burning the oil.

Now I want to lower the pressure going to the turbo.
Any thoughts on that from you guys?
Does anybody know how much pressure is needed as I can find no info on this subject,.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Baked Beetle

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 13:19:00 pm »

an in-line restrictror is the way to go here.
tikimadness

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 14:51:56 pm »

Yes but a restrictor doesn't lower the pressure

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Airspeed

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 17:26:48 pm »

Yes but a restrictor doesn't lower the pressure
That depends how you look at it. The turbo cartridge is sort of 'open' so the size of the restrictor determines the amount of oil the turbo gets. Too much oil to the turbo and he cardtridge will build up pressure and thats not good. Result then is indeed blown seals of the turbo and oil smoking.
The size of the restrictor (or size of the oil line) theoretically does somewhat determine the oil pressure loss of the engine, but I have never seen any difference in oil pressure running a turbo or without one.

So, in the very general I agree with 'baked beetle' although the manufactor of your turbo should give what size/amout of oil feed you need. Garrett for instance has good info on their's on their site www.turbobygarrett.com

I run my big Borg Warner with a 1,6mm restrictor. Not all turbo's like or want this however, so check before.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: