The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:55:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350786 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  a stupid berg shifter question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: a stupid berg shifter question  (Read 2343 times)
wolfswest

« on: January 29, 2008, 15:39:39 pm »

Hi guys,

I used to have  my berg shifter installed right on my “tunnel” without the carpet between the tunnel and the shifter.  Now, I just installed new carpet and I cut a hole where the shifter needs to be, now I installed de shifter again but it doesn’t shift smooth like without the carpet between the tunnel and the shifter.  Do I need to make the hole in the carpet bigger so the carpet doesn’t squeesh between the shifter and the tunnel or is there a trick to align the shifter so he shifts like he should…  A stupid question I know, but I haven’t done it before…

Thx

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 16:22:23 pm »

Where is the thin metal plate located ? Under the carpet or on top. Than you may have too much thickness with the carpet causing it not to be in the socket and not linning up. I maybe wrong lets see who else respond to this.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 16:41:56 pm »

Bernie is the expert on this,he infact got angry about people cutting the carpet badly around the shifter as their was no need for it!

as long as the shifter is bolted down tight enough and the shift plate is above the carpet, i.e shifter,shift plate,carpet,tunnel order it should work fine.

I always put the car in second before removing the shifter, then bolt it in in the second gear postition, i've found this method the best for the least adjustments. Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 18:28:47 pm »

I have always put the shifter on top of the carpet.(tunnel >carpet> plate> base) You need to cut a hole the same shape as the shifter base but approximately 10 mm smaller and this will work fine. I have done this for years and never had a problem. The shifter bushing in the tunnel has to be in good shape. Bernie.

Before you jump, check the depth.
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 19:45:58 pm »

I'm not sure if the little iron plate is above the carpet or under the carpet, I will have a look...  And I will also try the second gear method. 
About the shifter busing:  I think there is a bushing where you locate the shifter and one in the end of the tunnel?  correct me if I'm wrong...  How can I check that these are still in good condition?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 20:36:47 pm »

There's a bush just by the shifter, you can see it when the shifter is out, it's at the back of theshifter opening and requires the shift rod to be removed out of the front valance of the car to be replaced Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: