The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 17:10:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350705 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  To chop or not to chop, is that the question?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: To chop or not to chop, is that the question?  (Read 12621 times)
Mangokid

"Inhale the world", (in memory of MH)

« on: October 11, 2006, 15:53:33 pm »

Sorry if I'm reposting, but i couldn't find a similar topic. Perhaps I'm not looking nuff enough?

Well, is the chop-top strip only, or does it go on the street as well?

I can't say I've seen too many good looking chopped bugs claiming to be cal-look. So, a few might do it, but not for me. Thunderbug, MouseTrap, TarBabe etc. are all incredible gassers, but remove the names,decals etc. and give'em plates?

What so YOU say?

To really know the edge and what lies beyond, one must have passed it.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 17:03:19 pm »

Chop it dude - we need to see more cool street cars with roof chops  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 17:40:04 pm »

chop top is cal look   Cool  remember some bug in winner as the keith goss & mike martinez chop top cal look , there is a lot of bad cal look with the chop top but  how many nice one  ???give the right look at your car and this one will be a nice cal look with a roof chop

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 17:46:40 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
maX cal-look

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 17:56:39 pm »

Top chop it !!
 Wink

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 18:56:07 pm »

Chop top is very cal look! There are very few chopped VWs that still retain the proper curves of the original roof though, it isnt easy I can tell you that! I spent more time sitting in the garage staring at the car thinking about the next move then I actually did with cutting, welding, ect.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 19:08:41 pm »

It is way hard to get a choptop T1 to look right. The Martinez and Goss cars are exceptions. Most of them look disproportionate or don't have the right curves.

If you're gonna do it... don't half-ass it. Of course it will take a ton of money/time to get the righ look.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 20:13:04 pm »

With the chop Im working on, the plan was to chop it 4" straight across, and leave the windshield angle stock to conform to 1970 NHRA I/Gas, H/Gas rules. Also, for me raking the rear window forward wasnt an option, becasue it destroys the rear line of the car- and you can no longer fit a engine lid properly! So, when I lowered all the pillars down 4", the windshield height looked great, but the quarter windows and rear window were too small, and the roof became flat looking from front to back- most visibly at the rain gutters. After many hours of pondering, I realized the only way to get the curve back into the roof was to either lower the A and C pillars more and leave the B pillar alone, OR raise the B pillar and leave the A and C alone. So I removed the B pillar completely, and set the front and the back or the roof to where it looked good and everything flowed smoothly from front to back with very good curve. Luckily I had a donor roof, and I cut the entire B pillar out of it and fit it in. I havent measured, but the B pillar is probably only chopped 2 3/4" or so, but the side windows look right. If you plan on doing a chop, a ragtop car is MUCH easier to chop, and having a donor roof makes life 10x easier!

67Screamer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 21:47:37 pm »

Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 04:28:05 am »

I'd forgoten just how cool Keith goss's old car was  Smiley

SilverPig

Alles klar?

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 08:03:31 am »

It's a fiiiiiine line between a chop and a plop...if you know what I mean. The last car here (the yellow one) looks cool, with most of the original rake still intact. Personally, I think the black one on the top has a way too flat roof for my taste...but hey...it's not my car. So my dear Bingokid...if you have the car and the donor roof(s) and a ton of time/money/patience...do it. DO IT!  Cool

Say hello to my little friend!
Mangokid

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 08:31:01 am »

See that's what I'm talkin' about. If done right, it looks awesome, like the yellow one, but I think they are far between, the really successful street-chops. For strip use I'd go for the wildest one, Thunderbug, just because it looks so damn crazy.

I got the donors IlderPig, but i kinda lack the cash and the time, not to mention the skills. Anyways, my "secret" project will never hit the street...strip only.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 08:47:02 am »

Kindof a weird angle, but I like the look of this chop. The rest of the car however, is argueable!

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 10:55:08 am »

Mango, I think the secret is to refrain from choping TO much. I really liked the yellow "late" model... and the Gross car... 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Mangokid

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 11:28:14 am »

Word Johnny, but for the strip I'd go for less is more, less roof that is...

if done right it's absolutely playable on the street, but I've seen far to many bad -chops over the years. Still remember the Asterix/Obelix bug from sweden with the leaning b-pillar. Ikes.

maX cal-look

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 17:50:22 pm »

More ?

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 18:29:59 pm »

The Lightning Bug has the flattest chop Ive ever seen! The WagonMaster isnt much better. Im not a big fan of the yellow late model- Ive never seen a post 65 car that looked right chopped. I think the thicker pillars of the earlier cars makes a huge difference. The yellow car is also wedge-chopped with nothing taken out of the rear window, and they raked the widshield back. This keeps the "roundness" of the roof intact, but it makes the car look "hump backed" to me. As you can see they had to pop the decklid because it no longer fit either.
The Goss chop is one of the first, and the best ever execution of a chopped VW- its flawless!!

Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 19:00:48 pm »

I agree about the yellow bug, the rear side windows also look a little funny to, But what about "Dr Gonzo" wasn't that a post 65 car?

jick

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 20:27:25 pm »

i'm going to chop the roof on my 64 gasser project.......along the lines of Thunderbug, Snoopy or Small Wonder,i prefer the more extreme look of the angled windscreen.
it'd be great to see a really nicely chopped super-detailed old school cal look car, for me too many of the chopped cars i've seen have been too far towards custom with a lack of style/taste in the overall look of the car.

there's definitely a lack of nice chopped cars on the scene.

do it dude.

anyone have any pics of the porsche india red chopped early car with color coded real BRM's, it was a big car in the USA in the eighties i think...i seem to remember it had nice lines.Huh

maX cal-look

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 21:05:39 pm »

You speack about this one Zach ?  Cool

Btw, the man's built this 68, do it alone, He never see Keith goss car's before....Funny no ?

What do you want's to say by : "hump backed" please  Embarrassed

Russell

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 23:04:49 pm »

CHOP............ All the way

Mr Goss got it perfect and 31 years on the car is still turning heads, you need the whole look. Im sure that some colours would make a chop look bad but if i was doing one nowadays it would VW Palm Green.....

The Goss chop will be at European Bugin feel free to come over and say hello and see up close for yourself the job done correctly. Good luck.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 07:16:36 am »

When the rear of the roof looks too large compared to the front. It kind of "bubbles" up.

GreenTom

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 08:16:49 am »

in my opinion bugs wchich are exreamly chope are most mean... like this black rag top bug

I've seen one in Poland during one of our bug meetings few years ago... but it has to wide wings and wfull T4 engine on horrible twin solex carbs and no cooling (just a cooling fan from some kind'a truck hang above the engine...) but... the most inmportant thing is that someone is doing something to show that kind of bugs in Poland (I like that style Smiley a lot... maybe my crashed mexico bug will become a top chop one day Smiley )

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
The Ideaman

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 14:18:59 pm »

Daniel's is VERY nicely done, but it took 4 cars to get all the pieces to do it right.  He said and english wheel would have made the job easier.
[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/168545.jpg[img]
Now he just needs to finish it.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
maX cal-look

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 16:38:04 pm »

When the rear of the roof looks too large compared to the front. It kind of "bubbles" up.

Thank's Zack !

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 16:53:43 pm »

Daniel's is VERY nicely done, but it took 4 cars to get all the pieces to do it right.  He said and english wheel would have made the job easier.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 18:41:42 pm »

From that angle it looks like the rear window is a tad too short. For the chop Im working on, I figured out the stock window height ratio from the rear quarter window to the rear window, then when I figured out the height of the new quarter window, I made the rear window the same ratio as stock. Im trying to get as close to a "factory" looking chop as possible.

DHood

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 03:51:54 am »

Zach,  Why don't you stop talking about your chop and post some pictures!!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 20:11:39 pm »

Im not trying to take anything away from you Daniel! I admit your skills are a thousand times better than mine! Here is a couple pics I took before I decided to make the rear window larger, it still has a loooooonnnnngg way to go! I hope to get re-aquainted with it in the next few months...

jick

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 20:29:54 pm »

looks cool so far Zach, the proportions look really nice.

man you dudes in the States dont know how lucky you are with those rust free cars......

here's the floor on my '64, i got SO much repair to do before i can even think about the chop........

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: