The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:27:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Widening Stock Steel Rims
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Widening Stock Steel Rims  (Read 3606 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: September 01, 2009, 15:33:43 pm »

Anyone have any experience with shops, in the US, that can widen stock steel rims? I picked up a set of 15x4 smoothies and I want to have two widened to 15x7.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 16:04:07 pm »

Check out: www.stocktonwheel.com

Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 16:42:46 pm »

What two of my friends did was go to the junkyard and find wider wheels that had the same center diameter as VW then drilled out the rivets and weld in the VW centers.  There are a lot of folks that can do this.  They did their own so there were no liability issues.  I think the rims they ended up using came from a Chrysler...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 17:06:28 pm »

I have heard some bad things about Stockton in the past few years. It seems their quality is not what it used to be.

What two of my friends did was go to the junkyard and find wider wheels that had the same center diameter as VW then drilled out the rivets and weld in the VW centers.  There are a lot of folks that can do this.  They did their own so there were no liability issues.  I think the rims they ended up using came from a Chrysler...

That is an interesting thought. I did find a place, Weldcraftwheels.com, that quoted $125 per wheel. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had any experience with a shop they liked.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 17:13:34 pm »

I have heard some bad things about Stockton in the past few years. It seems their quality is not what it used to be.

That is an interesting thought. I did find a place, Weldcraftwheels.com, that quoted $125 per wheel. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else had any experience with a shop they liked.

--louis

10-4.

Last time I used Stockton was the mid 90's

Most recently, I used Collins in Bellflower to do some rims for my Baja, but you have to watch their lack of quality control... they are cheap though Cool
Seems like they only charged me $90 to do two 15X7 steelies w/ wide 5 Porsche centers (I provided the centers)

I could tell you stories about Collins... I've dealt with them since the 70's Grin

~DR.
The Ideaman

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 17:20:04 pm »

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182382&highlight=stockton+wheel+sucks&showall=1
Might be a problem.

We use www.rallyamerica.com .  My buddy used them twice for his Plymouth Valiant project, and was very satisfied.  Helps that they are local to me.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 17:24:17 pm »

Yeah that jives with what I have heard other places. Thanks for the link, I will check them out.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 17:28:53 pm »

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182382&highlight=stockton+wheel+sucks&showall=1
Might be a problem.

We use www.rallyamerica.com .  My buddy used them twice for his Plymouth Valiant project, and was very satisfied.  Helps that they are local to me.

Wow... things can sure change in a decade or so. When I used them, they built exactly what I wanted, on time... only complaint was cost.

Thanks for the heads-up!

~DR.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 17:32:01 pm »

Might be a problem.

Wow... things can sure change in a decade or so. When I used them, they built exactly what I wanted, on time... only complaint was cost.

Thanks for the heads-up!

~DR.

Yeah I remember in the '90s they were the shop to go too, but not now. To bad how that can happen to a shop.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 17:38:50 pm »

There was a place that David Ward used... I think it was in Fontana? Cheap, and fast turn around as I remember it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
jick

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 23:54:09 pm »

rallyamerica AKA wheelkid on the Jalopyjournal is the dude to go to.....LOTS of bad press about Stockton unfortunately

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: