The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 19:36:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350784 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Widening steel rear wheels, what to do ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Widening steel rear wheels, what to do ?  (Read 8345 times)
mcdronkz

« on: May 21, 2007, 21:36:09 pm »

I've got the stock steel wheels under my Beetle.

The plan was to have them widened and to fit 205/70/15 tyres.

I want to keep them stock looking, so you can not see from the outside that they have been widened.

That shouldn't really be a problem, but I'm not sure about the look. I want to achieve this look:

I'm not sure how much J stock wheels are. But I want them as wide as the wheels on this Beetle.

How much J are the real wheels on the picture ? 6 J or something ?

Also, does someone has pictures of (callook, of course) bugs with widened steel wheels ?

'60 Jade Green beetle.
mcdronkz

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 21:58:55 pm »

cool idea, but I like the idea of widening a stock wheel to have more positive offset, that is so the extra width is to the outside of the mounting flange (lugs). Looks meaner, when done within reason. I think stock rim widened to 5.5 or 6" looks good. Sheep was talking about doing this on the rear of his '66 sedan, but I think he may run mags instead.

Here's a gorgeous zenith blue '67 with widenened '67 wheels:

Thanks for you post man. I'm not really sure about that positive offset. I think the stock wheel has enough positive offset and will just look about right with the fat tyres.

I mean, the wheels on the red bug I posted up here has almost no positive offset, and they look very well. Of course it arent stock wheels, but I think stock positive offset are right for me.

Are there any further modifications required ?

'60 Jade Green beetle.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:22:15 am »

What year car/wheels? Swingaxle or IRS?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
mcdronkz

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 06:49:57 am »

What year car/wheels? Swingaxle or IRS?

'60 with swingaxle. Why ?

'60 Jade Green beetle.
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:11:18 am »

'60 with swingaxle. Why ?

Because 66 and older cars have shorter axles, meaning that the wheel is tucked more under the car. Widening the rim on the outside on these cars makes it sit more right in the wheelwell.. But it's all a matter of taste, do what you think looks best.
On the other hand, making a 6" rim by widening it only on the inside may make the wheel come awfully close to the suspension and inner fender on a short axle car. Kind of like a bus wheel, and they don't fit on a bug with fat tires, think it rubs on the spring plate.

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:19:59 am »

Your stock wheels are 4" wide.
If you want the widest wheel possible, and only have it widened on the inside so it appears stock from the outside, heres what to do: Get a complete type 3 transaxle- they have long axles and wider brakes then your '60 has now. This will increase the track allowing you to widen the inside of the wheel. 6" would be easy, but you might be able to go 7"... you will have to check once you have the transaxle in place. As an added benifit you will get better gearing and better brakes. BUT..... the 1960 Beetle has a 1 year only bastard nosecone mount... you will have to change the mount to the later style. Everything else is pretty much a bolt in though. Good luck!
BTW the car in the picture has 5.5" wheels, and it looks bitchen!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:21:38 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

mcdronkz

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:19 am »

Sounds great ! You guys are a great help for me.

Someone at a dutch board told me that I could use wheel spacers, in order to get more clearance between the wheel and the suspension.

I think I'm going to get them widened to 5,5 or 6J, put 205/70/15 on, and mount them with wheel spacers.

Will that work well ?

In any other case I can mount a type 3 transaxle.

'60 Jade Green beetle.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:21:16 am »

I would do it the way Zach tells you, but since you are in Europe know that you find long axles on 68 and later bugs to (except the automatic and the supers). This is a straight forward swap and am much better solution than spacers ever can be. 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 13:02:55 pm »

Your stock wheels are 4" wide.
If you want the widest wheel possible, and only have it widened on the inside so it appears stock from the outside, heres what to do: Get a complete type 3 transaxle- they have long axles and wider brakes then your '60 has now. This will increase the track allowing you to widen the inside of the wheel. 6" would be easy, but you might be able to go 7"... you will have to check once you have the transaxle in place. As an added benifit you will get better gearing and better brakes. BUT..... the 1960 Beetle has a 1 year only bastard nosecone mount... you will have to change the mount to the later style. Everything else is pretty much a bolt in though. Good luck!
BTW the car in the picture has 5.5" wheels, and it looks bitchen!
On a 60 Bug you can install a 67 and earlier Bus Nose Cone on the Donner trans and it will go right in  you dont have to change the trans Frame Mount on your Car

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 16:44:43 pm »

The '60 has a one year only nosecone mount. You've gotta cut it off and weld the later one on.

Rocket-Racing

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 17:40:24 pm »

The '60 has a one year only nosecone mount. You've gotta cut it off and weld the later one on.

The '60 has its own special mount, but I thought it would work to use a Type 2 nosecone on the trans and the 1960 only rubber mount. Pretty sure a friend of mine did that without problems.
As you can use the T2 nosecone and orig mount on the earlier cars I can't see why it should be a problem on the '60 using the correct mount unless the height is different.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 18:01:08 pm by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
axam48ida

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:29 am »

I have some on my oval....I had a couple sets made until I got the look I wanted,
 the pics are not the best, but I have 205 /60's in the rear and 195/60's in the front
the front has csp disc brakes and a 2" narrowed beam.

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
alex d

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 08:28:35 am »

VW center welded to a 7'  BMW rim

(more pics of this car at http://overdosebug.skynetblogs.be/ )
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: