The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:06:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Okay then.... Can THING's be Cal Look?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Okay then.... Can THING's be Cal Look?  (Read 5707 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: May 16, 2013, 16:26:44 pm »

Alright folks how about a Thing?  I've seen some that would fill the bill.... no?

How about a 412? Etc...  I'm guessing they can. 

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Dyno-Don

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 17:54:30 pm »

Just my opinion, and after all that's what you are asking for - Lowered Things are an oxymoron and are not only Not Cal Look (at lest not in the Original sense) they make as much sense as lowered Jeeps, just street freaks for shock value.
411-412's are so ugly they should be banished from the earth.  Grin

To me, Cal Look recalls a fairly specific time and style in history. And when it morphs away from that, it no longer fits the definition, and while a lowered thing might be somebodies cup of tea, you cannot rewrite history to fit a new sense of desire. Just as roof racks and goofy bolt on accessories have no place in Cal Look history, neither do type 181's

I'm sure others will have differing opinions
Bruce

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 21:00:12 pm »

. Just as roof racks filled with mobile garage sale items and goofy bolt on accessories have no place in Cal Look history,
Russell

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 21:08:16 pm »

Straight Answer.... NO

Worm, Glad you started you own thread, leaves the Super Beetle one to expand the topic LOL !  Wink

Best Regards

Russell
AirCooledCurtis

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:27 am »

And what about Fridolins? Grin Just kidding, but back to 181s... no.
Jos

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:17:26 am »

well it's not a thing but what about Eric Meyer's old Kubel? It has the motor, the stance, the wheels and no chrome. It would seem to fit the bill.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:34:17 am »

What about user '181's car on this very forum....Does it capture the spirit of Cal Look in that it has 48s and is fast !?

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6655.msg271271.html#msg271271

Thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:15:19 am »

Hi, let me chime in. To answer the question of this topic, I have to say no. They simply do not fit into the era. At the time cal-look was born, things were just ugly utility vehicles without charm of the VW beetle and cal-look guys were probably far from even thinking of driving such car. In spuite of that, I tried to take the best of cal-look ideas and tried to put this spirit into my 181. I try to maintain high quality level and cleanliness.

To me personally my car now has the cal-look stance which is very special with combination with utilitarian design of this car but I do not expect this view from others at all. I bought my first Thing because I already had a ´61 sedan, I wanted another VW, but wanted something other.

And simply put, this is the best forum to be, with best info, best members, without conflicts seen on other boards and I feel good to be here. So I presented the car to you.

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 00:02:30 am »

Straight Answer.... NO

Worm, Glad you started you own thread, leaves the Super Beetle one to expand the topic LOL !  Wink

Hah!  Good on ya.  The Fat Chick page is all yours to "expand" upon.....HAH!  Too funny.  Why not right?!

And "181" Your THING is the one I was thinking of!  Great stance, dechromed, BRM's, and M&H Slicks with a big motor!!!!  uh......slicks on a 1302?  Right.  Once again I could be VERY wrong as it happens a lot....... ask my wife.

You guys are great.   

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 23:17:34 pm »

In another thread, I said I felt Buses really don't fit the Cal Look mold due to their 'utility" vehicle design, which is kind of how I see a Thing, although it seems far more Cal-Lookable (just invented a word lol) than a Bus, by far.

These discussions remind me of when the now-defunct PRA first started in '88, when it was the Pro Bug Association.  At first they wouldn't allow anything but Bugs and one other type of car, if my memory serves correct. Can't remember if Ghias were or weren't allowed, but it was specifically only Bugs and one other body design at the organization's inception... seemed kind of weird.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:22:34 am »

Just my opinion, and after all that's what you are asking for - Lowered Things are an oxymoron and are not only Not Cal Look (at lest not in the Original sense) they make as much sense as lowered Jeeps, just street freaks for shock value.
411-412's are so ugly they should be banished from the earth.  Grin

To me, Cal Look recalls a fairly specific time and style in history. And when it morphs away from that, it no longer fits the definition, and while a lowered thing might be somebodies cup of tea, you cannot rewrite history to fit a new sense of desire. Just as roof racks and goofy bolt on accessories have no place in Cal Look history, neither do type 181's

I'm sure others will have differing opinions

Gotta agree with Dyno, the Thing I think would be cool to have, but not to Cal-Look it. the 411-412, forget it. Now the Type II, if done the right way, I think would look nice to give it that Cal-Look treatment. I have a Type II bus, and was thinking of just that, Cal-Look, but with NO NARROW BEAM,  Roll Eyes Grin just a slight dump on the front and stock in the back.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Dave Galassi

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 20:46:31 pm »

Worm, we tried, even on a sunny day in California.  No go.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 16:38:52 pm »

i remember a red one on alloys with big engine , it was a cool one i will try to found a picture

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
miguel

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 16:47:51 pm »

i remember a red one on alloys with big engine , it was a cool one i will try to found a picture

It's that the one you looking for ? I don't find a photo where he stand alone for the moment .
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 16:54:12 pm »

It's that the one you looking for ? I don't find a photo where he stand alone for the moment .

no miguel  i was wrong about the wheels it was sprinstars and i've found a picture in my archive, but i've in mind a 181(thing) who was red with big engine with IDA and alloys , i've that image in my mind a long time ago , when i was thinking that a thing can be cal look and tried to found the right stuff to do on that one

miguel

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 16:56:40 pm »

the 181 i post has a 1776 engine with 48IDA .
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 18:04:50 pm »

i've liked those too , may be with a lowered  job

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 18:55:30 pm »

i've liked those too , may be with a lowered  job

This is how a 181 looks the best to me  Smiley Not lowered, a nice paint, cool wheels with all terrain tires and a hop up engine off course  Cool
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 20:07:20 pm »

they make as much sense as lowered Jeeps, just street freaks for shock value.

On point!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: