The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:09:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKK at Heroes today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKK at Heroes today  (Read 7326 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:01 am »

Wow what a friggin great day today. To start the day the parking lots were completely empty and ready for VW,s. Cars started pouring in and we totally filled every parking space and more.  We had some DKP guys, the vintage race cars, Lightning Bug and Inch Pincher,Dave Galassi and his amazing old school racer.  Richard Roth from Ohio, Keith Sueme from England.  Dee Berg, Ron Fleming, Lazenby, some really cool people from England, and a amazing family from Holland.  They were all so stoked.  What a treat it was to speak to them.  The Schley's, Darrel friggin Vittone!  Wow.  This was a nice little start to everyone's Bug In weekend.

I can only express myself how pleased DKK was with the turn out, and just flat out the great people having a blast and maybe a few beers....ha

Geez, Hecker, Clay, Rayburn, all the great looking cars from various cool clubs , Fabien, damn....too many to list.  It was so cool hanging out on a perfect so cal blue sky sunny day.  It rained last night so we all took a deep breath when we went to bed last night and we arose to weather perfection.

Suzy and Lisa appeared to have collected a lot of Hot Wheels for their children's charity. (if you are coming to Bug In tomorrow bring some Hot Wheels!!!!). The vibe was terrific.  I know I left a ton of names off my hit list above but wanted to thank everyone for showing up raising a glass.   

Unreal to have the Schley's and Mr. Vittone there with the cars they are going to go heads up against each other for the first time in how many years!!!!!  The restorations on both those cars are amazing.  Kudos Russell!  Wish you were here so we might play a spot o golf..  Ha

Too busy to take any photos, I know I saw RK climbing on some roofs...... Please post some up if ya got em.  The car DKK picked as the club choice award/trophy was a real throw back gem.  We asked the owner John if he would like to park with DKK tomorrow at Bug In and he seemed pleased to do so.  Sweet ride with og 5 spokes, and sporting an original DKK Rally dash plaque from the early 80's ( he had attended ).  Henry kinda went a bit nuts when he saw it..... Hah.

Thanks to ALL and look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow and watching the Inch Pincher and Lightning Bug go after it.  Cool

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Hecker

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:56 am »

Thanks to all the DKK group who always take good care of me. It was a fantastic weather day.

Mrs. Hecker (Peri) had a great time too, thanks Worm for the sizable acknowledgement. (HUGE SHOUT-OUT)

Looking forward to more events at the HEROES tri- establishments. EAT at Joe's.
I was so busy talking with Steve Walker and Larry Rick, I only took pictures of my wife and our food.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 16:39:00 pm »

Here are a few shots from yesterday. 

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 18:15:30 pm »

Had a great time Guys -- I need to do it more often

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
johnl

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 16:22:39 pm »

Here are a few of my photos , actually Christie took them, on Saturday at Hero's.  A bit of history with Mark, Paul and Darrell along with the "Brit" in action.

It was a great time and the event at the Schlely's after was also.  Thanks to DKK for hosting such a great event. 

For me it was even more rewarding but somewhat expensive...... More on that later.......   Wink

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 00:15:54 am »

John, show everyone some pictures of what was so expensive for your day!  You did the right thing and if you would not have, I would have, if I could have found some way to keep Fleming away.  Great purchase !!!

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
Dave Galassi

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 00:21:10 am »

A big thank you to everyone who made this happen!  It was a blast.  Lots of great friends, cars, eats and weather.  Total Socal.  Got a chance to meet and talk to a real hero, Darrell Vittone.  What a nice, humble and knowledgeable guy.  Between Darrell and the Schleys, I can't think of any better ambassadors for this hobby.  

Thanks to everyone who had any part in this.  The whole weekend was amazing.  I can close my eyes and still the Inch Pincher hangin' em up there........

Oh, and lastly, a message for Troy Palmer.  Some guy in the staging lanes named George said he would tumble for you.  
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:05:22 am »

A big thank you to everyone who made this happen!  It was a blast.  Lots of great friends, cars, eats and weather.  Total Socal.  Got a chance to meet and talk to a real hero, Darrell Vittone.  What a nice, humble and knowledgeable guy.  Between Darrell and the Schleys, I can't think of any better ambassadors for this hobby.  

Thanks to everyone who had any part in this.  The whole weekend was amazing.  I can close my eyes and still the Inch Pincher hangin' em up there........

Oh, and lastly, a message for Troy Palmer.  Some guy in the staging lanes named George said he would tumble for you.  

Great seeing you Dave. Love the Pepco car

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:12:53 am »

John, show everyone some pictures of what was so expensive for your day!  You did the right thing and if you would not have, I would have, if I could have found some way to keep Fleming away.  Great purchase !!!

Jim and all,

I can accommodate you now as I picked it up last night.  So, here is another story for you all.  A few years back I was driving up Brookhurst to Nick's and I spotted a tan sunroof car behind me in the distance.  First off I really liked the color and the fact it had a hole in the top was just that much better.

Anyway at Nick's I saw the car up close and chatted with the owner.  Over a period of time I would see Rob and his ride at events and would always go over and tell him how much I liked it.  Certainly not a perfect "show car" but very nice.

So fast forward to Saturday at Hero's.  We parked the Green Monster and walked around the corner and there it was in the DKK and race car area.  I said to Christie there is "that car" and we walked over.  I'm looking at the car and she spots a rather discrete FOR SALE sign in the back seat.  My first comment was "OH CRAP" and then I went to the DKK both and asked where the owner was.  Rob happened to be in the area so we started talking and I could tell Christie was into the car.

Keep in mind I've recently purchased Schley's mother's '72 BMW Bavaria that we are in the process of dialing in.  So this is just what I need but there it was and I mentioned it to Fleming and his words were "if you don't buy it I will".  Before we left the event I got Rob aside and made an offer which he pretty much rejected.  I provided him my contact info and said I'm ready to buy if you really want to sell.

We came home got the Bav out and off to Schley's for the open house.  That was an event in itself and when we arrived you should have seen the look on Mark and Paul's face.  I did hear one say to a group of folks, "That was our mother's car".

It is the typical deal for me in that I couldn't get the car off my mind even though I knew we didn't need yet another car to bring the fleet number to an even dozen.  Christie and I talked and I kept saying we don't need it but after mowing the lawn I could stand it no more so I phoned Rob, made another offer and we came to terms.

So, almost 51 years after I purchased my '63 sunroof car, later to become the "Butternut" car I feel I'd come full circle.  When leaving Rob's beautiful home with my long time buddy DGVA Paul Opperman the roof went back and it was somewhat reminiscent of that drive from Econo Motors in July of 1963.  Oh and now I finally have a set of BRM wheels, five of them.  That only took about 42 years...

What I'm going to do with the car or the GM is yet to be decided but knowing me I'll probably keep both to be pals with the '63 black sedan that we've owned for almost 33 years.  Photos below.

Oh and our best to Jim for his upcoming procedure on Thursday.  Hang in there buddy and you will be just dandy..... 

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:33:40 am »

The AJ Sims built exhaust on that car is mean.  Nice score John it's nice solid car.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
johnl

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 04:34:37 am »

The AJ Sims built exhaust on that car is mean.  Nice score John it's nice solid car.

He also built the motor and I have the receipts.  Lots of $$ spent.

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 05:19:56 am »

John, you have had an eye on Rob's car for some time.  Kudo's that it finds itself in your garage.  Can't imagine a better place than in your hands.  Rob Kuehne has consistently built some of the finest Cal Look DKK cars over the years and it's a fitting match to end up with someone of your stature. Looking forward to seeing you and your lovely wife rolling into Heroe's (and everywhere else) with the rag top back and the semafores blinking.

Good times.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 07:09:29 am »

Congratulations John.

Rob's car is one of the best. His attention to detail really shows.

It's nice to see it go to someone who will appreciate it.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 17:18:33 pm »

Thanks guys for the kind words.  I'll try to do the car justice.

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 22:57:01 pm »

Thanks guys for the kind words.  I'll try to do the car justice.

COOL!  Cool

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 23:53:31 pm »

Sorry we missed Heroes. I did observe some DEEK activity at Bug-In though!

John, looks like a real nice car you have there.
You should start a thread on it with more pics & details  Smiley

Cheers
cedric

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:43 am »

After little nights and my wyfe suffert from jetlag....was a great show!it was great to fly over for 4 days and meet up wirh you guys!
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 02:18:52 am »

Very nice car John! Congratulations!! Are those real BRM's? Those bumper bracket covers are a real cool detail on the car. Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
johnl

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 05:08:31 am »

Very nice car John! Congratulations!! Are those real BRM's? Those bumper bracket covers are a real cool detail on the car. Cool

Not real BRM wheels.  EMPI knock offs which is fine.  Some have already said I should install a set of real American's due to my past with them.  Anyone want to make a loan to purchase some??   Roll Eyes

The bumper bracket covers are unique and I can say I've never seen them before.  Many details to work out with the car.  Just brought it to the house tonight after spending the past few days at my business.  Now there are seven cars in the garage and the three beetles do fit in a line.  Once some of the junk is cleaned up I'll take some photos and post.

I'm not wild about how the clutch & carb linkage feel along with some adjustments on the carbs.  The car will be going to Greg Brinton's shop soon as he worked wonders with the Green Monster.  I plan on taking it out this weekend and do some more sorting out to make it "mine".  Grin

johnl

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 04:36:43 am »

After cleaning the new ride up some in the driveway Christie and I went out for a drive with the roof back.  Drove over by Disneyland and then on the Freeway just to check things out.  Minor things to deal with but the car drives well and is much more user friendly than the Green Monster.

It brought back many memories for both of us and our times with the Butternut car four decades ago.  Christie seemed very happy when we arrived home so I think the car now has her full approval.

I'll be up at 4:30 am, go to fill the tank for the first time and then off to Cars & Coffee for her debut.  Trying to think of a name for this one but haven't come up with anything yet....  Suggestions appreciated............  Smiley Smiley

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:27 am »

I had a fantastic time !
Thank you to everyone from DKK for the friendship and hospitality !
 Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: