The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:23:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Deck lid stand offs
« previous next »
Poll
Question: If you had a choice would you use them?
Cool looking on a quick car? - 8 (21.1%)
A necessity with a big engine  for airflow? - 14 (36.8%)
Avoid avoid avoid if you can? - 16 (42.1%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Deck lid stand offs  (Read 9408 times)
H67bug

« on: October 08, 2006, 09:49:51 am »

Hi. Needing some views. I personally am not a fan of stand offs, they look a little untidy. I am having some issues getting it all to fit under the decklid at the moment. Should I give in and fit them> The engine is over 200 bhp. Or persevere to get it all tucked in?
Roman

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:10:56 am »

For me it is form follows function. If you have big velocity stacks on IDA:s it is impossible to close the lid.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:20:38 am »

they are shit in the UK, cus of the rain.  But i use them, then again the car only comes out once a year to play. Wink

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
H67bug

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 10:30:11 am »

Hi Lids, I try and avoid the rain so with that in mind, what do you think?

Roman, I run with weber stacks and they fit under a closed lid, just!  If I opt for stand offs for air, looks etc I will make use for the space with some bigger stacks for looks I guess.

Hmmm.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

If you can't get it to fit under the Decklid properly, without cutting half of the stack away, Pop it open.... Wink Wink Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:56:57 am »

hayden, i would leave the lid closed, and cut holes in the engine bay to let more air in.  It also makes it easier to access the carbs.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Frank LUX

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:04:07 am »

hayden, i would leave the lid closed, and cut holes in the engine bay to let more air in.  It also makes it easier to access the carbs.

Cutting Holes in the Wheel arches is very help full to acces Carbs, but if not closed during driving, they will allow a lot of crap to come in your engine compartiment, with IDA plus no Airfilters...not really the best Idea if it is to be a Street car.... Roll Eyes

By the way, Cutting holes in the wheel Arches does not solve the problem with the VStacks... Wink Wink Wink

Frank
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 11:07:26 am by Frank LUX » Logged

1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
H67bug

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:26:55 am »

Hi, thanks for this, it helps. I have holes in the inner arches and scoops to help reduce crap when wet etc. I also run a cab decklid.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 13:01:53 pm »

Avoid at all costs! But if it wont fit, it wont fit- prop it up.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Roman

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 18:15:29 pm »

I have Berg 52:s on tall manifolds and it is impossible to close it. I don't hink I can close the lid if I remove the stacks completely either.
To prop it up in the bottom is not an option either, when it cleared the stacks it was a two feet gap.
H67bug

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 19:00:57 pm »

I have Berg 52:s on tall manifolds and it is impossible to close it. I don't hink I can close the lid if I remove the stacks completely either.
To prop it up in the bottom is not an option either, when it cleared the stacks it was a two feet gap.

2 feet gap! Grin... now that would of been amusing to see. I only have 48s so the issue is not quite as bad.  Wink
alfie the monster

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 21:11:38 pm »

Prop it at the bottom then H  Wink

If Seedo's around, it may end up that way anyway  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 00:37:36 am »

If your going to prop your lid a bit, best to do it at the bottom.  This will circulate air over the rear engine tin that seperates the hot exhaust from the engine compartment and help cool things down as well as give you a little more clearance.  Like you say, best to perservere!

DKP III
El Diablo Gris

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 01:54:42 am »

It's all about " D-cups" and playing with the bottom a little !  Grin Grin Grin

El Diablo Gris

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 02:12:10 am »

One more .............
Peter Roberts

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 08:35:30 am »

I have tried propping the lid at the bottom , it is not as effective as standoffs , but works fine .

However , it does suck a load of shit and dirt , that has been disturbed by the tyres into the engine bay and carbs .

Alex Taylor's ' Black Bitch ' , has the lid propped at the bottom , and his tinware is always filthy and dusty after a drive , and the amount of gritty grime around the inside of the IDA stacks is disturbing .

Max's Cab was the same , I changed it from bottom prop to standoffs , the car runs really cool , and the tin and trumpets stay spotless .

One other thing , when your engines are dynoed , does the dyno operator put an obstruction across the top of the number 2 & 4 Carb stacks , NO , that's exactly what you are doing , with a shut decklid across the stacks .

The whole point of the stacks is to funnel and smooth the flow of air to the carbs , how is it going to work , when the decklid is obscuring the flow .

I haven't driven a 180-200 hp VW , that hasn't felt ' seat of the pants ' faster with standoffs , helping the air get to the carbs .

Just my thoughts and experience  Wink
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 10:50:56 am »

On my sedan I've got adjustable stand offs that allow the deck lid to stand off 3" at the top or to be completely closed if needed (for show'n shine purposes  Smiley or in a parking lot). The engine is running much better with the deck lid opended at the top, there's less oil fog in the engine compartement and the cooling is improved as well.

Furthermore, have a look at post-70 beetles, there must be a reason why the VW engineers decided to opt for louvered deck lids.

Some tech info about those great parts (in german)
http://www.romec.ch/de/referenzen.html

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
H67bug

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 11:06:59 am »

On my sedan I've got adjustable stand offs that allow the deck lid to stand off 3" at the top or to be completely closed if needed (for show'n shine purposes  Smiley or in a parking lot). The engine is running much better with the deck lid opended at the top, there's less oil fog in the engine compartement and the cooling is improved as well.

Furthermore, have a look at post-70 beetles, there must be a reason why the VW engineers decided to opt for louvered deck lids.

Some tech info about those great parts (in german)
http://www.romec.ch/de/referenzen.html
Great advcie from all. Pete, Maxwell put me straight on this :-). I have looked at the site for these items and need to call them as thy havent answered my e mail. I shal do so when I next work from home.

How do these fit on and is it a simple bolt on affair or does it need anything else to be done?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 11:17:14 am »

A really tough question... I don't particulay love them, but forms follows function... so you do what you have to do.
Love you car and all the trick solution on it El Diablo Gris!! A Hot Rod in VW clothes!  Shocked

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 11:52:10 am »

How do these fit on and is it a simple bolt on affair or does it need anything else to be done?

As far as I know it´s simply "plug & play". Very nice engineered parts, but also very expensive.

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
H67bug

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 12:00:30 pm »

As far as I know it´s simply "plug & play". Very nice engineered parts, but also very expensive.

Good news.Sounds almost too good to be true.  Cheesy I shall give them a bell, Thanks.
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 13:08:16 pm »

They're installed in 10 minutes. Expensive? Well maybe, but still much cheaper than a convertible deck lid with those ugly louvers  Tongue

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
Frank LUX

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 17:09:59 pm »

They're installed in 10 minutes. Expensive? Well maybe, but still much cheaper than a convertible deck lid with those ugly louvers  Tongue

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: