The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:15:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  running a spool on a street car........?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: running a spool on a street car........?  (Read 4081 times)
jick

« on: October 19, 2006, 22:41:16 pm »

so, i recently scored a barely used close ratio box built by Peter @ The Cogbox for a very good price.... Grin

its got a spool, i'm pretty certain i'm gonna keep it in, BUT i do hear a lot of people with a lot more experience than myself saying it really aint a good idea.

i'm looking to make about 200bhp with my 2276cc, cnc comp elim heads, fk89 , etc etc......this is gonna be a weekend only summertime car ....

so....whats are your views on the spool guys......maybe Roman & Jonas (any others?) can give us all a  little info on how it really is?Huh

cheers.... Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 23:42:31 pm »

IMHO a spool is a "race only" item.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Roman

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 06:08:33 am »

It depends on how dead seroius you are about drag racing with slicks on VHT. The super diffs availible now are weak, the ZF:s are rarer than a hens teeth. The quaife might do the work but it is expensive and it's heavy. If you plan to do ANY driving in the rain is lethal do run a spool.
On the other hand driving on dry asphalt is no problem.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:09 am »

I would contact our good friend Jussi in Finland and get some of his indestructible axels for the spoole. Since no one has ever snapped one of those axels it might be wise.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 08:28:05 am »

Jick, I wouldn't worry about it.  It hasn't been on the road for 10 years, and getting it on 4 wheels to push it around the garage is going to be a bonus.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jick

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:56:14 am »

ha ha ha lids, you're a fine one to talk.... Cheesy      although its a pretty valid point.

Bad Junker

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 15:02:26 pm »

I consider it to be no problems running a spool on the street, even with my Liberty/prorings and Lyle Cherry stuff!
Ok going down in gears are not recomended and planning the driving  is a point !

As Roman mentioned, spool and rain is exciting, especially with frontrunners !  Shocked  add to that runabouts or sharp turns........ Grin

Roman

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 15:26:28 pm »

... to push it around the garage is going to be a bonus.

That's another problem... As long as you push it with the wheels straight is's just like any other car. If you turn the streering wheel to the max it'ts like having a parking brake.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 16:07:19 pm »

I helped a friend of mine with a gearbox....by "just cruising round town" in his word it broke after a full season of trashing......everything in it broke except third and forth gear set. So we made us a new box and elimonated the problems we had by using Ercos high quality russina axles and a spool........Basicly it still stands up and work but the spool is worn out....one of the experienced with it was going from Sweden to Volksworld show and with no trailer.........................I think that an aluminum spool live max 2 seasosn on the street if it is a street car, not more. It wears out. If used in a swing application, don't run it with the axleshanging down as the axles may bind up and ruin the spool!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: