The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:11:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Why did you paint your car appleblueseagreen ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why did you paint your car appleblueseagreen ...  (Read 17973 times)
Sal E

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 22:37:58 pm »

The car came out of the factory green so I wanted it to stay green but I quite liked the idea of changing it a little. The idea behind it was the colour had to look like a 70's colour and if possible be appropriate for the year of the car and come either from the VW colour charts or those of Porsche. In the end the colour effectively chose itself, a couple of the greens were a little too much like British Racing Green whilst others whilst nice didn't quite jump out enough except for Chartreuse but that jumped out a bit too much. In the end Leaf floated to the top and was finally decided on when we found out according to a record on colours that Porsche only offered it as a standard colour in '73. Pretty much perfect.

There's that and the fact I liked the colour.  Smiley

Cornpanzer

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 15:32:01 pm »

Back in the mid 80's I had a VW Trends magazine that had an event coverage feature with a small pic of a 60's era black cal-look vert with all the stock trim.  Something about the lighting of the photo made that black car sparkle and it grabbed me in a big way.  I told myself that someday I would build a black cal-look car with trim.  When I found my savannah Beige 67, I knew from day one that it was going to be black.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 16:13:17 pm »

White does look cool on right car, like in Brian Blummer's or this one:

this is lotus whte too

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
nicolas

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 19:56:23 pm »

i have been thinking about what you said, and yes you are right white is the new thing, but look at it in a different way and think about a white car in 4-5 years. all the new cars will probally be purple or some other colour and not white as it is 'passé' but your bug is allready timeless, so white could work really well.
just make sure to pick a colour that puts a smile on your face every time you see it. and certainly don't chose a colour that you think off as 'yes, but'

johnl

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 22:04:42 pm »

When it came time to paint the '67, Sharon and I were leaning towards Lotus White but after some friendly persuasion by the Becker clan, we went with Bright-Ass Red Roll Eyes Grin  Leonard Becker was firmly in the non-metallic camp and liked the way bright colors made the car "pop" in the sun.

Jim,

What happend to Leonard Becker and the crew?  I haven't driven by the place in year.

John L

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 22:36:49 pm »

When it came time to paint the '67, Sharon and I were leaning towards Lotus White but after some friendly persuasion by the Becker clan, we went with Bright-Ass Red Roll Eyes Grin  Leonard Becker was firmly in the non-metallic camp and liked the way bright colors made the car "pop" in the sun.

Jim,

What happend to Leonard Becker and the crew?  I haven't driven by the place in year.

John L

The whole family moved to Hawaii years ago.  Jimmy (Leonard's son) and Linda moved back after a while and last we talked were living in Arizona... he was framing houses instead of beating on fenders.  As for Leonard, I have no clue.... and what about Harry Nose?? Wink

just make sure to pick a colour that puts a smile on your face every time you see it. and certainly don't chose a colour that you think off as 'yes, but'

Well said, Nicolas!

DKP III
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 22:42:02 pm »

Just the one to tune in, Mr. Lazenby of butternut fame. Lovely colour, but why? Did your neighbours trophee wife have a daily craving for buttered nuts? Tongue Or did you just like the colour, plain and simple as that.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
johnl

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 23:10:04 pm »

Just the one to tune in, Mr. Lazenby of butternut fame. Lovely colour, but why? Did your neighbours trophee wife have a daily craving for buttered nuts? Tongue Or did you just like the colour, plain and simple as that.

As memory serves, I think about that time Mercedes had introduced a gold that I liked and also GM cars were using a lot of it.  I happen to spot the Corvette one year color and thought it was the best choice.  Today when I look at it I honestly don't know why I picked it and it is extremely rare to see a Vette with the color.

Side note:  When I was restoring several of my Hemi Cars I searched for a gold to do the valve covers.  Chrysler had at least three vendors that they got paint from, so there really is no documentation on what is "correct".  I went through Sikkens paint books and found a gold that turned out to be the very same Mercedes color that started it all Smiley

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
pupjoint

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 14:08:51 pm »

i recently bought a RHD Euro Bug 1966, original colour was L360 Sea Blue. Paint is kinda subjective, but i always like factory colours.

this is what it looks like 2 weeks ago when i collected it.

can see the traces of the original colour

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345390
RedEx

U'l hav al the time 2 rest when U'l be 6 feet unde

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 11:06:41 am »

My choice or would I say my choiceS, where easy, at first, when I bought my car I left it in its original beige color as I did't need to resore it due to its perfect condition. I just made it a Cal-Look.

After 2 years riding avery day to my work summer as winter, the car began to show some rust spots. And I decided to fix thoses problems and change the color into an original 65 blue color but without a full restoration as the rusty places where minor.

But after some more years on the road, the car really needed a full restoration. It was time again to change the color in something more shiny, and i went to another original 65 color: Ruby Red.

That's it!

nicolas

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 14:31:00 pm »

and what a great choice you made Benoit! always liked the car. saw you fiddle at it at DDD2 and it stuck in my memory since.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: