The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 14:31:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350784 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Why or how did you choose the color of your car?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Why or how did you choose the color of your car?  (Read 18342 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: April 03, 2009, 14:22:40 pm »

I think picking a color for your car is the hardest thing to decide. So how did you decide on the color of your car?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 14:36:20 pm »

My first Cal Looker... 'cause orange has been my favorite color since I was a toddler. Every Volkswagen (including water-cooled VWs, a Porsche, two Volvos, and a BMW) has been factory color. For my current '67, I had no say on the Zenith Blue color. My original plan was to paint it either Savannah Beige, Fontana Gray, or Lotus White. But as time progresses, I'm starting to like the color more. So it's staying that way. 

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 15:54:46 pm »

i liked blue, went into the local paint suppliers and went through all there colour samples, I know have no idea what colour it is, and therefore cannot touch it up!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Critter1

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 17:18:40 pm »

My Fastback will be painted very soon..... But I was standing in the middle of the road working some traffic control one day.... When this gorgeous light blue car drives straight at me. The color shined so nicely in the sunlight, I had find out what it was. Turns out to be a Chrysler color called "Steel Blue". The rest is history,,, I have a gallon and a quart sitting at the body shop right now. There are a couple panels with color on them, i'll share:

SlingShot

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 17:41:21 pm »

Has anyone played "Pin the tail on the Paint Chart"??

Will Race For Beer !!!
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 17:53:47 pm »

Don't you get me thinking  Grin After all, What could be the chance to pick pink  Shocked

And have a look at http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,8254.0.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 17:55:24 pm by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 19:23:43 pm »

I think picking a color for your car is the hardest thing to decide. So how did you decide on the color of your car?

--louis

not sure how you feel about this color, but if I ever build another hot rod VW, you can be sure it will be this color (or Porsche 930 Ice Blue)
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:19:19 am »

Ratto, the color on that car in the pic is GREAT! I could fully see that happening on any year Cal Looker.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 03:51:57 am »

--louis

not sure how you feel about this color, but if I ever build another hot rod VW, you can be sure it will be this color (or Porsche 930 Ice Blue)

Back in the day, a buddy of mine had an Ice Blue '67... traditional Cal-Look car right down to the natural two piece 8 spokes and black "Brad" inspired interior... Without a doubt one of my favorite colors!

~DR.
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:09:31 am »

I like my Cal Lookers like I like my women, fast, stripped and black. Shocked Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rennsurfer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:45:37 am »

I like my Cal Lookers like I like my women, fast, stripped and black. Shocked Grin

HAHA!! That's awesome, Bates. Reminds me of an old movie... I forget who said it or the name of the movie. But the line was; I like my women like my coffee... Puerto Rican!

CLASSIC!

Okay... sorry, back on topic. Those Steel Blue Type 3 body parts look like that color will work out very well, Critter.

~Sarge
SlingShot

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:19 am »

It definitely has a "Butternut" Vibe to it. To much time on spent on John Lazenby's threads Smiley

Will Race For Beer !!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:51:39 am »

Ratto, the color on that car in the pic is GREAT! I could fully see that happening on any year Cal Looker.

Thanks Mark. I was at a concours thing in Palo Alto about 10 years ago and in the parking lot was a ochre yellow (ocra giallo I think is the proper name) little 1750GTV sitting under an oak tree, wearing cromodora mags and just looking perfect. I saw it and thought "that color is 200% hot rod VW material"....

now imagine a Cal Looked 356 coupe in that color.... dumped, no bumpers, proper satin/black 911 alloys.... huge IDA motor.....
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 16:04:21 pm »

Shocked

Jim, that car you just described needs to seriously come to fruition. Sounds like a blast!

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 17:53:52 pm »

Shocked

Jim, that car you just described needs to seriously come to fruition. Sounds like a blast!

sorry to take thread off topic for a moment....

But the 356SC coupe thing I described above is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Back when the 356's were under $10K it could have been fairly easy on the wallet, especially since I'd off the Porsche engine and build a 2.4L Type IV motor for it. Just clean, simple and 200hp fast. Of course this car idea has to get in line with all the other daydream-mobiles cruising in my head.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 18:07:44 pm »

all the other daydream-mobiles cruising in my head.

I hate these color threads, because I can come up with dozens of variations on almost the same car that I'd love to build.  I really like the Ice Blue idea since the first time I heard you suggest it, Jim.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 18:24:19 pm »

all the other daydream-mobiles cruising in my head.

I hate these color threads, because I can come up with dozens of variations on almost the same car that I'd love to build.  I really like the Ice Blue idea since the first time I heard you suggest it, Jim.

I know....I do the same thing. I'm already aimlessly walking around thinking of the Ice Blue car now... totally dechromed, no bumpers, no tbars, no hood handle, black window rubber, "frosted" RSR-look 5.5" alloys..... 
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 23:10:41 pm »

I have the same problem as some of the rest of you. I come up with a decent color, build the car in my head, and then see another color I like. I have friends that I know are sick and tired of me e-mailing them color choices for my car. I get a lot of " It's your car, pick the color you like" HEY, If I could pick just one color I would, it's pretty darn tough.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 06:24:20 am »

I've always been - paint it the factory color - Volkswagen came up with some Bitchin' colors in the 50s & 60s

Early 911 colors are Badass though, and 911's have been my influence for Cal-Look - so next car I do... It'll be one of these

Turquoise
Olive

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 06:26:26 am »

anybody know what color blue this is?

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Sam K

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 06:46:49 am »

That is a sweet blue on that Porsche, Tom. When I repainted my car the first time, it was the original L633 VW blue, but when I repainted itagain in 2000, a friend who owns a body shop suggested a new color that was on Honda Civic Si models, so I used that instead.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »

Early 912 and 911's colors are great.
Here's Mexico Blue I like.

Sarge

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 13:37:41 pm »

Early 912 and 911's colors are great.
Here's Mexico Blue I like.

They paint houses that color in Santa Ana Shocked Wink Grin.

DKP III
mg

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 15:04:12 pm »

Selecting a color is not easy.
I am a little color blind, colors are not true on the internet...
Some are inspired by the colors on their favorite race cars.
It helps me to have a test spray out I can view under different light of day and street light conditions.
Holding the test spray out next to paint on other cars might tell how a color will flop.
Example Mexico blue is a clean blue but to some it looks feminine when parked next to a stronger pigment blue.
Imho single stage paint looks more correct for a 60s car than the buried in clear 2 stage.
I'd post VW paint jobs if I had them...Mexico blue, Sunoco blue and Slate grey.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 15:27:11 pm »

I've always been - paint it the factory color - Volkswagen came up with some Bitchin' colors in the 50s & 60s

Early 911 colors are Badass though, and 911's have been my influence for Cal-Look - so next car I do... It'll be one of these

Agreed, Tom... the older that I get, the more I like the factory VW & Porsche colors for Cal Look.

~Sarge
gibber!

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:28 am »

I must admit that when I could afford a professional resparay for my first Bug I did take a 'lucky dip'.
After only a few tests I settled on a 50/50 mix of Silver base with Cobalt Blue....

As far as my '67 goes, though I liked the original Zenith Blue I always liked Deano's '67....

.... but now I've decided to re-do the '67 I leaning towards Porsche colours from the same period- it's gotta be blue though!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:49:18 am by gibber! » Logged

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
gibber!

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 01:50:07 am »

I must admit that when I could afford a professional resparay for my first Bug I did take a 'lucky dip'.
After only a few tests I settled on a 50/50 mix of Silver base with Cobalt Blue....

As far as my '67 goes, though I liked the original Zenith Blue I always liked Deano's '67....

.... but now I've decided to re-do the '67 I leaning towards Porsche colours from the same period (60s)- it's gotta be blue though!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 03:18:10 am »

Black like my momma... Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:29:37 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:44 am »

You know what they Say Once you go Black you never go Back Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 04:18:20 am »

You know what they Say Once you go Black you never go Back Grin Grin
Ain't that the truth!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

BLING!!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:20:25 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: