The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:32:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Why or how did you choose the color of your car?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why or how did you choose the color of your car?  (Read 18338 times)
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 05:20:25 am »

anybody know what color blue this is?

Are theses colors close?

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
stealth67vw

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 05:33:43 am »

Deano's car looks like L366 VW Blue and the Poorsh look lighter.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 05:42:36 am »

Agreed - its lighter than Deano's car

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Dez

Grey Anatomy

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 15:21:44 pm »

This might be of help to you regarding Porka colour...

http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-color-online/m1frameset.php?language=1

I am using the original Fontana Grey (L595) for mine as I like the light shade of grey Cheesy

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 17:52:30 pm »

This might be of help to you regarding Porka colour...

http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-color-online/m1frameset.php?language=1

I am using the original Fontana Grey (L595) for mine as I like the light shade of grey Cheesy

Thanks Dez!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Fritter

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 18:37:06 pm »

Deano's car is a VW color called "VW Blue" and the light blue 911 is probably Gulf Blue I think (Porsche color).

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Dick Mitchell

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 01:52:07 am »

I think picking a color for your car is the hardest thing to decide. So how did you decide on the color of your car?

--louis

not sure how you feel about this color, but if I ever build another hot rod VW, you can be sure it will be this color (or Porsche 930 Ice Blue)

Oh no Jim, Does this mean I have to pick a different color for my car?   Cry
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:21 am »

I agree that period 60's and 70's VW and Porsche colors look great on traditional Cal Lookers, but at the same time I'm getting pretty tired of seeing the same colors, and how it is almost considered a rule now that a Cal Looker must be painted in one of those colors to be cal look. There are a lot of great colors out there (as long as it is an earth tone, it's good in my book), in my opinion we need to think outside of the box a little.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:44 am »

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing the same colors, There are a lot of great colors out there (as long as its YELLOW, it's good in my book)

Zach, I fixed it for you ^^^^ Grin

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

mg

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:25:44 am »

Deano's car is a VW color called "VW Blue" and the light blue 911 is probably Gulf Blue I think (Porsche color).

The blue 912 belongs to Monica and Dan.
This is what Dan said about the color.
 Regarding Monica's car, she calles it "Periwinkle Blue." I don't know if that is the "official Porsche" designation (I doubt it). It is not the original color (it was originally Tangerine). The blue color can be found on some 356's and 1974 911's. We've also seen it on early MBZ's and even a couple of Volvo's.

ah the paint trail has many forks in the road.  Cheesy

What color blue was the "Go Dodger Blue" street car turned SCS drag bug?
Owner's name escapes me starts with a K, was all over the side of it.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:30:17 am by MG » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 05:36:06 am »

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing the same colors, There are a lot of great colors out there (as long as its YELLOW, it's good in my book)

Zach, I fixed it for you ^^^^ Grin

HAHA!! Good one, Tom. But joking aside, Zach's got a good point. The beauty of Beetles and 911s, is that you can pretty much paint them any color and they'll pull it off rather nicely. I painted my first one my childhood favorite color. That, and I wanted my car be different than everyone else's during that era ('79-'85). But as I was getting out of the air-cooled scene and switched over to water-cooled cars, I left the aftermarket VW parts stores and started working at several Volkswagen, Porsche, and Audi dealers. Being in the Parts and Service departments, I developed an appreciation for factory colors and have leaned in that direction ever since.

The bottom line; paint your Cal Looker whatever color lifts your skirt... I mean, catches your fancy.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ian c

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 05:54:51 am »

we had an agreement ....

i do whatever i like to the car , and melissa has her D-plate on the back and picks the colour ...

she was looking at grey-blues but hadnt decided on one that was perfect .

then on day she had enough of me spending money on it etc. so said i can do what i want with the colour , she's not interested in the stupid car
(her language was more colourfull ) Shocked

so it stays black  Grin

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 06:00:21 am »

The blue 912 belongs to Monica and Dan.
This is what Dan said about the color.
 Regarding Monica's car, she calles it "Periwinkle Blue." I don't know if that is the "official Porsche" designation (I doubt it). It is not the original color (it was originally Tangerine). The blue color can be found on some 356's and 1974 911's. We've also seen it on early MBZ's and even a couple of Volvo's.

ah the paint trail has many forks in the road.  Cheesy

What color blue was the "Go Dodger Blue" street car turned SCS drag bug?
Owner's name escapes me starts with a K, was all over the side of it.  Wink

Cool! Small World! - I've never seen that color before, didn't know if it was a bad pic or what.

60 & 61 356s had a color called Aetna blue and 74s had Mexico and Bahama blue.

Like Mark said a lot of colors work on our cars, .....so what ever turns you on.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

mg

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 07:09:05 am »

A bit less obscure the 74 911 and the new 997 (paint to order) behind it are both 74 Mexico blue, they once both belonged to Eade in Carlsbad. Could be Roger Grago's Aubergine (eggplant) 3rd inline.  Smiley

I'm rather fond of Acid Blue the darkest of the 3 74' IROC blues. It was a 74/75 911 color.
I think gulf and mexico were the other two IROC blues?
Colors of the era were stunning, m&ms / box of popicles.

When they rename a color that can throw ya.
Was Porsche India red and Guards red the same?

Acid
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:33:59 am by MG » Logged
Dez

Grey Anatomy

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 09:35:55 am »

If you are choosing a colour from a PC using the Glasurit chart or similar, before you make a final decision try and check the colour with one on a proper booklet / poster as the colours can vary depending on the colour quality on Computers Smiley

Gobi Beige is a cool colour  Cool

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 13:23:10 pm »

Agreed, Dez. That's a tough looking car. Looks like a color that would've been chosen back in the '70s. I like the look.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 13:36:58 pm »

Agreed, Dez. That's a tough looking car. Looks like a color that would've been chosen back in the '70s. I like the look.
what do you think about the rear lights (US model) , for me i will put EURO model

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 17:49:29 pm »

Hahaha thanks for fixing my typo Cheesy
I'm actually not a huge fan of yellow, but my options were fairly limited when I was looking for an original GTV Roll Eyes

My dad has a Chrome Yellow (Corvette color so I'm told) '72 (with '73 rear lights) that I drove for a while back in high school. Whenever I run into someone when driving my GTV that I knew back then, they all think it's the same car!! Not even close!!! 'Course to the lay person all VW's look the same. Back in high school I would sometimes take out Slinger's first VW to lunch, a teal green "cal look" '68 on color matched 8 spokes, lowered front and rear. My car was a '67, stock height, 5 spokes, with patches of Savannah Beige, surface rust, and primer. When caught driving his car I was constantly asked, "So when'd you paint your car?!" Cheesy

Jim Ratto

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 18:00:21 pm »

If you are choosing a colour from a PC using the Glasurit chart or similar, before you make a final decision try and check the colour with one on a proper booklet / poster as the colours can vary depending on the colour quality on Computers Smiley

NICE car
thehanz DVK

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 16:54:32 pm »

I agree that period 60's and 70's VW and Porsche colors look great on traditional Cal Lookers, but at the same time I'm getting pretty tired of seeing the same colors, and how it is almost considered a rule now that a Cal Looker must be painted in one of those colors to be cal look. There are a lot of great colors out there (as long as it is an earth tone, it's good in my book), in my opinion we need to think outside of the box a little.

great words.... Grin  i am having sleepless night's at the moment for picking my color and i narrowed it down to two ...the original fontana grey  or a light blue metallic from some japanese thing ( or is that to far out off the box..it's not earth but sky...) from across the street......still have a few months to decide so some more sleepless nights before the choice is there... Undecided
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 16:56:39 pm by thehanz » Logged

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 17:07:16 pm »

great words.... Grin  i am having sleepless night's at the moment for picking my color and i narrowed it down to two ...the original fontana grey  or a light blue metallic from some japanese thing ( or is that to far out off the box..it's not earth but sky...) from across the street......still have a few months to decide so some more sleepless nights before the choice is there... Undecided

Go out on a limb and do it!! Grin

mg

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 17:21:13 pm »

the original fontana grey  or a light blue metallic from some japanese thing ( or is that to far out off the box..it's not earth but sky...) from across the street......

Shopping grey, I'd also look at Slate Grey, color of Steve McQueens Porsche.
Many awesome 70s Porsche light metalic blues, I've seen Caribean blue (stunning) on a cal look KG vert years ago.
Porsche Minerva blue is a very clean light metallic blue too.
A 2010 color on a vintage car just makes the car look more modern, not what want most of us are looking for...
I plan to paint my 69 911 single stage, no clear coat.
All cars used single stage back then, so that's the correct finish imho.
Paint has changed a lot since the 60s and formulations are tweeked for all the newer EPA approved binders/chemicals.
there was thread with some cool paint links a while back.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3769446&page=1
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 19:03:45 pm »

I don't know, I have seen some nice colors on modern cars. (Actually trucks) Chevy and To#¤ta have a nice dark green, Nissan has a great dark red and blue & Ford does some nice burgundies. There is a yellow they use on Saturn coupes that I have always thought would look good on a 70/80's style cal-looker. I have noticed that truck or fleet colors tend to be a little less flashy than some of the car colors which better suit a VW I think. Having said that I have moved back to L41 for the '66. (This decision is subject to change without notice, your millage may very. )

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
pancho villa

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 19:25:51 pm »

just painted my godchilds 58rag top L-360 sea blue. Wow, it really came out so nice, it will be on the road sep-oct.
Love those vintage colors, i guess i choose that color because it really had a classic fill to it. Smiley
thehanz DVK

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:43 am »

Shopping grey, I'd also look at Slate Grey, color of Steve McQueens Porsche.
Many awesome 70s Porsche light metalic blues, I've seen Caribean blue (stunning) on a cal look KG vert years ago.
Porsche Minerva blue is a very clean light metallic blue too.
A 2010 color on a vintage car just makes the car look more modern, not what want most of us are looking for...
I plan to paint my 69 911 single stage, no clear coat.
All cars used single stage back then, so that's the correct finish imho.
Paint has changed a lot since the 60s and formulations are tweeked for all the newer EPA approved binders/chemicals.
there was thread with some cool paint links a while back.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3769446&page=1
[/quote]

the gray and blue colors your pointing at are to dark for me, i want a lighter color on the car, the original fontana grey is a light shade, and the blue color i saw is more off an ice blue color..I see if i can find some pics...

thehanz DVK

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »

one pic off a ice blue metallic car and one of the original color fontana gey....
i want a light color because i am keeping the chrome and don't want it to stick out to much as it does on darker colors..

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: