The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:01:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350755 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Oil pump choice advice for a full flow system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oil pump choice advice for a full flow system  (Read 12850 times)
guillaume

« on: August 12, 2009, 14:07:13 pm »

Hi fellows,

What is the best 30 mm oil pump to use with a full flow ?

I am building a 2276 engine :
- aluminium roof case,
- 94 mm stroker kit,
- 82 stroker cranck,
- FK8 cam or Webcam 86c (don't know yet)
- 1.4 rockers,
- 48 ida on short manifolds,
- lightened flywheel

I already have an old DDS 30mm oil pump in perfect condition, but it's an old school part and I prefer to go with today technology. Or do you think the DDS oil pump is good enought ? I was going to use a Berg, butlast june I went to Berg and the one I was looking for was out of stock... as usual  Wink

And what do you think of the last Jaycee product ?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=828331
The full flo oil pump cover like this :

Do you guys think that this system use like this will be efficient ?
30mm oil pump with jayve cover bolted to the case (like the photo) + and oil filter + an external oil cooler with a fan bolted close from the gearbox.

Thanks a lot for your help and advices  Smiley
Udo

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:22:31 am »

Berg pump and csp cover .

Udo

guillaume

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:22 am »

Thanks for your reply Udo.
The Berg pump are apparently out of stock.
Do you know what kind of pump Berg use ? And what kind of modification is done to them ? Does anybody have pics of it?
Maybe someone has a new 30mm Berg oil pump for sale?
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:58 am »

I have a berg pump and cover in mine since i first built it.  No problems.

The pump is a VW one modified by Bergs.

I have asked my engine builder his opinions on this cover and return system.  Will let you know.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
guillaume

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:35:25 am »

Thanks a lot Mike :-)
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 15:39:26 pm »

The pump is a VW one modified by Bergs.
Berg modifies a Shadeck pump.  VW pumps are not available anymore.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 17:56:53 pm »

thanks for the info, makes it even easier to keep mine Smiley

Udo

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 18:01:52 pm »

Bergs cut them for min. clearance between gears and cover and they coat them . i orderd some last week ...Will be there next week i hope

Udo

kafercup

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 19:45:04 pm »

[quote/]

And what do you think of the last Jaycee product ?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=828331

Do you guys think that this system use like this will be efficient ?
30mm oil pump with jayve cover bolted to the case (like the photo) + and oil filter + an external oil cooler with a fan bolted close from the gearbox.

Thanks a lot for your help and advices  Smiley

[/quote]

I'm curious about this item also.....
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 19:47:06 pm »

I ordered my 30mm blueprinted pump from 1970 here on the boards. Not sure if he is still dong them. Its the same way berg does theirs. I like the CSP pump covers too. They dont look like something forged by a blacksmith.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 20:04:37 pm »

No I'm not doing the 26/30mm pumps any more. Or engines. Not enough time left in the day after work, son, house, cars.
No magic to doing them. All I did was run 1/4NPT tap through outlet port, loctite up a sockethead screw, seat it, face the oil pump on 240wet/dry over granite to get to 0.00" end play, and then radius open the suction side so both gears get to pull oil. About an hour's worth of messy work. Hope every body liked the pumps I sent out.

I use 30mm "1970" pump and solid Berg full flow covers in almost everything. (yes I had problems with relief covers)

Bye,
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 20:37:35 pm »

the main problem with the berg covers is they crack because they are cast iron.  Be careful not to over tighten!!

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 08:11:28 am »

He says it will work fine, just ordered all 3 bits via him, will arrive in a few weeks via container ship Smiley

Felix/DFL

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 19:52:39 pm »

[quote/]

When using this with an extra oil-sump beware of too low oil level.Othersise you will have more oil foam than oil...

As I know Berg blueprints the oil pumps than hard anozides them and on some pumps inserts a o-Ring seal.
The hardanozide helps to keep the oil-pump case as new (no wear) and fills a bit the gaps between gear and case. The O-Ring is a neat thing cause the pump can`t pull air from the case-inside.
I want to blueprint a 26mm Schadek with panik-valve cover. There is a mistake about some alu-covers with pressure relief.Think about it: A steel piston in an alu cover = different Extension = leckage

Best thing in my thought is the bypass via oil-filter. I just don`t like the AN fittings. In my view they restrict oil flow too much..

That`s even the way most OEM route their oil-pressure.Route the bypass under oil level and go...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 20:13:56 pm by Felix/DFL » Logged
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:36:34 am »

is there a different expansion rate for the berg cast iron cover as well?

kingsburgphil

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 01:47:47 am »

Regarding AN fittings being to restrictive....AN (Air force/Navy) fittings have been in service years before your father wore three corner pants. If they're restricting oil flow, its because the wrong size or wrong configuration is being used. AN fittings and Aeroquip hose are rated for 3,000 psi,
with burst pressure at 5,000 psi. 

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 03:21:14 am »

The expansion rate of whatever the pump cover is made from is irrelevant.  It's a piece of flat when cold, it's still flat when hot.
stealth67vw

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:52 am »

The expansion rate of whatever the pump cover is made from is irrelevant.  It's a piece of flat when cold, it's still flat when hot.
....and the original cover was made of steel, so the expansion rate question is completely thrown out the window.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Felix/DFL

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51:09 pm »

I was not talking of the flatness of the cover...

You have a alu cover with a bore for a pressure-piston.The piston is made from steel.piston moves nice in and out.
Then you bring those parts to 100-120°C.
The gap between the piston and the cover grows as the alu expands way more than the steel piston.

BUT I made a mistake as I thought the piston in the jacee-cover is steel but it looks like alu and that should work.

I am more a friend of the 1/2 fittings,so maybe that`s more the position behind my AN-views Wink

Greetz
Udo

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 18:52:50 pm »

I can say that the csp covers work well . the bypass of the cover works  that the engine does not get more pressure than 9 bar .
I have the Berg pumps back in stock . Normally 26 mm are big enough..
Udo

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 15:09:31 pm »

I have just got the Jaycee oil pump kit, its going on my new engine, so will have some idea in the new year.

Jeff68

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 14:59:15 pm »

I wonder why a 30mm pump is needed?  I use a Berg / Shadek 26mm modified pump with no bypass cover in my 2110. I have a question: For street car people, if you use the Jaycee pump that has the bypass to the case on a street car (as shown above), how do you check your oil level? The location that the pump bypasses to is where the didpstick tube assembly bolts to right?  I'm always monitoring things on my engine and check my oil level and i was just wondering about that.  Sorry if it's a dumb question....
stealth67vw

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 02:08:56 am »

Only type 3 cases use the bolt on dipstick. Standard type 1 and type 2 cases as well as universal cases have a press in dipstick tube next to the crank pulley. Universal cases sometimes have a block off plate in the type 3 dipstick area.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jeff68

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 14:56:31 pm »

Only type 3 cases use the bolt on dipstick. Standard type 1 and type 2 cases as well as universal cases have a press in dipstick tube next to the crank pulley. Universal cases sometimes have a block off plate in the type 3 dipstick area.
Ok.. I just didn't see the press in dipstick tube, I think the picture may have cut that out.  In the picture it looked as though the bypass is bolting up to where the block off plate is on a universal case.  I assumed the picture showing the Jaycee pump and bypass installed was showing a universal case. 
The reason I was asking is that I was interested in this set up but was thinking if I installed it I would no place to install my dipstick.  I have the Berg temp sensor / dipstick in my engine.
stealth67vw

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 02:16:10 am »

Ok.. I just didn't see the press in dipstick tube, I think the picture may have cut that out.  In the picture it looked as though the bypass is bolting up to where the block off plate is on a universal case.  I assumed the picture showing the Jaycee pump and bypass installed was showing a universal case. 
The reason I was asking is that I was interested in this set up but was thinking if I installed it I would no place to install my dipstick.  I have the Berg temp sensor / dipstick in my engine.
I'm confused. Are you using the type 3 dipstick location for your dipstick for your type 1? The Jaycee bypass bolts up where the block off or type 3 dipstick bolts up.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: