The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 15:04:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Street racing back in the 70-80's in the Inland Empire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Street racing back in the 70-80's in the Inland Empire  (Read 3409 times)
Fiatdude

« on: September 23, 2016, 20:34:57 pm »

I recently heard that John Sanders had died and I wanted to put up a little tribute to him here...

There was a pretty hard core group of street racers here in the Inland Empire, which is the San Bernardino/Riverside area of SoCal, back in the 70's and 80's. They raced everything that had wheels, and a few things that didn't, and John Sanders was one of those who made his name racing everybody/anything with his VW's. John had a string of fast VW's, as soon as any of his cars started getting a reputation, he'd sell it and build another one.

Well, this story is about his white Bug.... John had been absent from the scene for a few months and one night he gave me a call and wanted me to drive his 'car' out to one of the racing spots for him... This sounded like fun, so I said OK. I went over to his house and there was this super clean white cal-look setting there and he came out threw me the keys and said be out at the spot at 10:30.... I'm thinking I had scored a fast ride for the evening, so I jumped in and fired it up.... IT's a Freaking 1300 stocker!!! I'm looking at him and he's got a big shit eating grin and his face and he says just be there and it'll be way cool... OK, I'm in, see you there.... So, I show up at the spot at 10:30 and park on the side of the road and start bench racing with the group that had assembled there...

About twenty minutes later, I hear a VW sneak in and park about 5 cars behind the white car..... John walks up and whispers to me, go over and choose off this real fast black Camaro that was setting there, and tell him that you'll race him with the white VW.... I say, 'what are you thinking?' -- He says just talk up how fast the VW is -- -- how it'll kill the Camaro and make sure that I show him the stocker and that I want John to drive the car, because it is way to fast for me to drive. AND when I get the Camaro hooked, get him to race for $500 dollars -- -- I'm shaking my head, but I'll play the game --- So I'm acting the newbie talking stupid and how fast my VW is and these guys are looking at me like I'm a sucker -- They look at the VW, I start it up and rev the stocker a few times, all the time saying how it'll just kill the Camaro and these guys are eating the line up... and when I say I'll race for $500, they are already thinking how they are going to spend the money... SO the deal is set up, they run off to get the Camaro ready. SO I still not up on what's really going on here and I start to hand the keys to car to John and he just waves me off and runs back further down the street and I hear the 'other' VW start up.....  

John pulls up in an identical white VW, only this one isn't a 1300 stocker from the sound of it.... John and the Camaro line up and this VW sounds BAD ASS!!!! Needless to say John just blows this Camaro away,,, It is not within 5 car lengths even.. John comes back, parks the 'other' car down the street and runs up to the stocker and acts like he's getting out of the stocker just as the Camaro crowd comes running back to figure just what the hell has happened to them..... Well, I collected the money while the Camaro guys are looking all over the engine trying to figure out where the Nitrous was Blah, Blah, Blah, and I'm setting there trying not to laugh my ass off......

It turns out that John had built one of the first 2500cc Autocraft engines and the 2 identical white bugs. These cars are so identical that the license plates were only 1 digit different .... Man, that car was fast,,, It had a totally different sound to the engine to any VW I ever heard up to that point......

We played that game at several of the race spots in Riverside and Ontario and even down in the OC and LA that whole summer  and slowly the word got out about that fast white VW and there was no more races to be had and suddenly the race car disappeared and he sold the stocker for a ton of cash, I don't believe there were more than 15-20 people that ever figured out that there were two different cars.....

.......and that is how John Sanders went down in local street racing lore. RIP John.....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 20:53:19 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 20:59:10 pm »

Harold, that's genius! I love the stories from the old days.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 01:45:16 am »

Great story Harold! Very cool!

My uncle used to race his '61 Beetle in the 70's, by the late 70s I was tuning it for him. They used to run down winding hilly bumpy roads through bushland and the occasional paddock with short straights, so a big lumbering Monaro or GT Ford wasn't necessarily an advantage. The trick was to get in front and hold them off until the bends and rolling roads through the trees, then they were toast for sure.  Grin Jump the thing hard off the line and nothing could stick with them thru the rest.

That was when I learnt how to tune a single-carb and suspension, you couldn't get a race from anyone with twin Webers...........

Thanks for the story man.  Cool
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 13:20:57 pm »

Sounds like a bad ass money maker! Not so even for others racers though  Grin
Andy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 15:45:50 pm »

Great story 😀
Fiatdude

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 18:07:49 pm »

I really don't have my finger on the pulse of the current street racing scene, but my head porter/coater moved his business back to his farm in Nuevo and yesterday I was taking the route recommended to me by my GPS to go pick up my angle ports when I came upon a 1/2 mile concrete section of road -- --- looks like somebody has been playing to me -- -- Glad to see people are still playing and having fun

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 18:12:05 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: