The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 20:09:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350701 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What front disc brakes kit to use with 13 inch DDS wheels ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What front disc brakes kit to use with 13 inch DDS wheels ?  (Read 2617 times)
guillaume

« on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:05 am »

Hi,

Do you know what kind of front disc brakes should I buy to use my 13 inch DDS wheels in 5 x 205 ? I will use them with drop spindles. But the caliper on the dis will probably touch the wheels. I have no idea yet but maybe some of you already used 13 inch wheels with disc ?

Thanks for your help guys Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:53:23 am »

That's asking a lot from a 13" wheel. First I would make sure a drop spindle with drums will fit, and go from there.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:26:27 am »

Yeah... I dont think you'll clear drop spindles with a 13in wheel.

Some 15 in wheels don't clear drop spindles without a little clearancing.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:54 am »

14" alloys, will not work with drop spindles, 13", I really doubt it. Maybe reg. disk spindles might work.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Bendik

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 14:37:46 pm »

I knew discs and 14" didn't match, but is there a problem with the dropped spindles as well?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 16:31:02 pm »

one solution  guillaume : spindle mounts like drag car  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
guillaume

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 21:33:24 pm »

Thanks for your help guys Smiley
-Alex-

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 23:36:30 pm »

If you want  discs for 13" wheels with 5x205 pcd, how about custom brakes? 10" Wilwood rotors, aluminum hubs, moving the stock caliper closer to spindle center etc. If its a race car, parts doesnt have to be street legal, they can be custom made.  Other choice is drums  Grin

http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorList1.aspx

This is just a quick sketch Smiley

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:24 am »

14" alloys, will not work with drop spindles, 13", I really doubt it. Maybe reg. disk spindles might work.

Ted

I wonder if the same holds true with the DDS wheels. The alloys have a LOT of positive offset so the wheels completely wrap around the brakes. The DDS wheels on the other hand have negative offset. There might be sufficient clearance with the DDS wheel.

Do you absolutely have to have dropped spindles? If it's a kingpin car you can get a low stance and stock-feeling ride quality by pulling leaves. On my '62 I installed the adjusters as if I was going to raise the car. With the adjusters all the way down I started pulling leaves until I got the lowest ride height I would use. I cut the ends and centers from the pulled leaves and brazed them to the remaining leaves so the set screws would capture the springs properly.

I can raise the nose to nearly stock height. I run stock-style Cofap dampers and the ride is incredible. Twin-trailing-link suspension has inherently poor handling and braking qualities so there's little reason to miss them if they do suffer. I've run that same setup since 1988 with very positive results.   

I've done it to ball-joint cars but you can only lower the suspension about 1 1/2 inches before ride quality suffers. But then again if you're running a 13" DDS wheel chances are you are not going to build a poser pan scraper anyway.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: