The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:53:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  California here we come!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: California here we come!  (Read 7046 times)
JSL

« on: July 14, 2008, 12:10:39 pm »

Hi,

Hope this is ok to post?

My friend and I have just booked our first trip out to Cali on the 16th of Aug till 1st Sept.

We land in at L.A.X where we have a car waiting ;-) No pre-booked hotels for us! No Sir Bob! We wanna be free! This is a 'Road Trip!' ;-)

So far we have the loose idea of driving north a little, then across to the Grand canyon, then down to Phoenix Arizona, then back across to southern LA working our way back up to L.A.X again.

Basically as this is our first visit we were just wondering if you VW nuts out in Cali had any "You have to visit this place while your out here!" or "Wow you should check out this meet/show while your out here"

I believe Promona swap meet is on while were out there, does anyone recommend that?

Any Air-cooled shops we should visit? Raceways? Historic places etc etc

Im sure there is TOO much to see out there hehe but we dont wanna kick ourselves once we got back because we were so close to something and didnt stop to check it out ;-)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! ;-)

Cheers

James

Mike Lawless

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 17:30:10 pm »

Not sure about Southern California stuff, but there is an American Nostalgia Racing Association (Vintage style dragsters, american muscle cars and a couple of VW guys) race at Famoso near bakersfield on the night of Aug 23rd the Sacramento BugORama on Aug 31. The BOR is a pretty big deal that you'd want to be at if you are anywhere in the neighborhood. The ANRA thing is pretty low key, bracket/index event and it's a night race because of the weather typical for that time of year.

Just so you know, both events are in pretty warm weather, typically close to 100°.... plan accordingly

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 17:37:08 pm »

If you are coming through Phoenix after visiting the Grand Canyon or on your way up you could stop my place just off the I-17 freeway and our club could host a pool party and bbq for you.  It would be cool to meet you.  Remember it will be hot!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 17:43:24 pm »

If your near Pomona I highly recommend the NHRA museum. Its a couple bucks to get in but well worth it.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 20:02:45 pm »

Check out Nick's burgers on friday,you never know what you will see Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Joe_G

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 22:21:27 pm »

You might want to have a hotel address to put down on your visa waiver form, immigration don't seem to like it when you have no where to stay  Wink
Pomona is great, get there early and walk it all  Smiley
Peterson museum in LA is well worth a look.
JSL

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 13:59:20 pm »

Awesome!

Thanks guys!

Mike, thanks for the heads up on the BugORama! I think we fly back on the 1st Sept hehehe so it could be a bit tight but if we can we definitely will check it out! Do you have a zip code for BugORama? The ANRA thing sounds awesome too especially if at night! ;-) Yeah Im starting to worry about how hot its gonna be! Thank god they managed to squeeze A/C into into a car! ;-)

Donny B, WOW awesome! Can you PM me a zip code? I will have to check with my mate (who is also a VW nut, Ive told him to sign up and get his arse on here!) and of course it all depends on where were we are or how far we get in our adventure! ;-) But we will keep you posted! Hahaha actually if its possible we could keep an updated blog and pics of out adventures and where we are! ;-) Hahaha so if people were that bored they could actually track our progress!

Louisb, yeah Ive heard loads about Promona! And am so excited we might be able to visit! Although we might be lost in Nevada when its on :-S Need to suss out our schedule. Yeah I heard the NHRA museum was meant to be cool! Anyone have a zipcode for that?

Bewitched, Whoa! That sounds intriguing! Are you talking cars or girls? Or girls WITH cars? ;-) Hehe Where's Nick's Burgers?

Joe G, Sweet! Good point! Thanks for that! Reckon we should book somewhere in advance for the first night just to cover our arses! Yeah I heard you had to get up pretty early for Promona, a) to get yourself a bargain and b) to avoid the heat! What time does it open? Cool! I will look up the Peterson Museum... Hehehe the day we arrive is "Teacher Salary Point Workshop" then there is the "Outdoor Film Screening - Tucker: The Man and His Dream" hehehe all sounds like it could be a giggle! ;-) The museum looks cool though!

Thanks guys!

Anything else people think of please let me know! I cant wait!!!!

Cheers,

J

Mike Lawless

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 14:57:04 pm »

Here's their web address

http://www.sacramentoraceway.com/

95827 is the zip.

Might need to plan on which is most important to you. Sacramento and the LA area are over 400 miles apart. If you need to leave out of LAX on the first, plan on at least 10 hours travel time by car. Holiday traffic after the weekend can be pretty bad around the airport. The event wraps up at around 5pm, sometimes a little sooner. Leave then and drive straight thru, and you'll get to LAX at 2am or so. Plenty of time! You can sleep in the airport or on the plane!

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 16:30:57 pm »

I live in Prescott, Arizona, it's on the way inbetween the Grand Canyon and Phoenix (if you take the senic route, which I reccommend that you do!). Feel free to stop on by! On the second or third weekend of September is the Jerome Jamboree VW "show" Wink It is a great time! It is only about 20 miles north of Prescott, on the scenic route Smiley You'll have a great time, sounds like fun!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 16:39:47 pm »

Nick's Burgers 1712 W. Orangethorpe Ave. (@ Brookhurst), Fullerton, CA 92833. Post up if you're going to be there, and I can meet you with my car.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ian c

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 20:05:38 pm »

j ,
use hotwire to get a room for approx $40 a night .
this will give you an address for homelands guys .
make sure you print your itinery so you can show return ticket .
if you can , get a letter off your boss on headed paper "allowing" you your holiday dates .

have fun !!!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 21:40:05 pm »

Nick's Burgers 1712 W. Orangethorpe Ave. (@ Brookhurst), Fullerton, CA 92833. Post up if you're going to be there, and I can meet you with my car.
                                                    And it'll be damn good to see you Mark.

I also park at Nick's.
fast68

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:02 am »

Bonneville speed week is from the 18 to the 24 of August and it's the 60th anniversary this year.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:00:28 am »

John, is that YOU? Oh... my... God. Haven't seen you in like... um, forever! Duuuude, how have you been?

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 18:02:08 pm »

John, is that YOU? Oh... my... God. Haven't seen you in like... um, forever! Duuuude, how have you been?
                                             It has been like forever! At least a couple days since we talked!!Saw Nathan last night, we screened Batman Begins so we're all amped up for Friday! How the Hell are you?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:53:50 am »

I'm great, now... hit the skatepark with my older boy, my younger one and I drove the '67 Bug all over and just got home from being in the water all afternoon in Huntington Harbor with Diana. Let me know when you and Tim are ready to have a bash over there.

JSL, sounds like your trip to the west coast will be quite fun. Hopefully, the weather won't be too hot in So Cal and Central Cal. Let one of us know if you're going to be close to Nick's on one of those nights... a few of us can meet up there with ya. Have a safe/fun trip.

~Sarge
TOM / EINHEIT 11

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:59 am »

THERE ARE A THOUSAND THINGS U CAN GO TO SEE. POMONA IS A MUST. U NEVER SEE THAT MUCHO CARS FOR SALE AT ONE POINT LIKE POMONA ( CARS ARE NOMORE CHEAP LIKE IT WAS 15 YEARS AGO). PETERSON MUSEUM IS A MUST IF U ARE IN LA AREA. BEST THING U CAN DO IS .... BUY A LOCAL CARGAZETTE AND CHECK ALL THE MEETING POINTS OF CARCLUBS AND WEEKLY KRUIZINGS. THERE IS A MEETING EVERY DAY SOMEWHERE AND AT THE WEEKENDS ALMOST EVERY COUNTY HAS ITS DRAGRACES ( THERE ARE A FEW DRAGWAYS AROUND CALI / NOT THAT MUCHO LIKE YEARS AGO BUT STILL A PARADISE FOR RACERS )
THERE ARE ALSO SOME COUNTYS LIKE ORANGE WHERE A LOT CUSTOMIZERS HAVE THEIR GARAGES / CHECK THEM TOO ( A LOT COOL V-DUBS & HOT RODS
IF U GO UP TO THE VALLEYS ( SAN FERNANDO / SIMI ) GO TO THE ORIGINAL BOBS DINER AT FRYDAYSNIGHTKRUZ...THIS IS ALSO VERY COOL AND YOU CAN MEET SOME LEGENDS FROM THE PAST MAYBE ( GENE WINFIELD / BARRIS / ETC.ETC )

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLIDAY

GREETZ TOM
ian c

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 01:59:07 am »

james
pm me asap !!!
i have a suite you can have Smiley

will give you the address you need for customs .
its in my name but wont be a problem if i forward you the booking confirmation .

my niece is coming over with me this time . shes got offers of scholerships to play soccer in usa and whants to check it out . it was my job to book hotel room and i messed it all up !!!

means i have a spare . you can have it mate , just let me know asap as i fly out early wednesday morning .....

(o\ ! /o)
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

You will have great time here
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 12:25:02 pm »

Cars JSL Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
deano

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 04:43:33 am »

Don't forget to grab a copy of the map of the (Cal Look) star's homes... Sarge's abode is on the list....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 04:51:59 am »

Don't forget to grab a copy of the map of the (Cal Look) star's homes... Sarge's abode is on the list....
Sarge is probably drinking wine & shooting rats in the backyard as we speak..

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 05:37:56 am »

Is that why his walls are all full of bullet holes?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

Is that why his walls are all full of bullet holes?

Partly due to that that and...

Batman.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 06:25:20 am »

I knew it!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 19:38:50 pm »

I knew it!

Yep, it's there... in the Standard Protocol Manual.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 06:36:58 am »

Thanks for clearing that up ,Mark! I feel much better.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 07:16:32 am »

Thanks for clearing that up ,Mark! I feel much better.

You're quite welcome, John. I'm not the shiniest penny in the coin roll, but sometimes, I can be worth a darn.

JSL, be sure to post up, if you can, when you'll be in the So Cal area. That way, John and I can present you with a fruit basket. I mean... we can hang out.

~Sarge
ian c

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 16:34:29 pm »

i cant make nicks tonight .
oc flyers game at csf .

im there next friday though ....

(o\ ! /o)
Brian Watts

OutlawImages

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 15:29:16 pm »

Hope you make the BOR!

Come say Hi
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: