The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 21:35:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350747 Posts in 28584 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Trailerqueen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trailerqueen  (Read 15585 times)
Todi

« on: February 21, 2009, 16:39:23 pm »

What do you use for car to pull your trailer to all dragracing competition. I´m in the process to choose a car or a buss to drive with to different competition... It would be nice to see what you people got to drive and also to sleep in! Pics please!

Regards
Todi

tikimadness

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 17:58:12 pm »

I got this badboy  Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Adele AW

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:12 am »

This is what we use below, we were going to use out splitscreen but sold it and bought our motorhome! It cost us quite a bit to get a decent towbar fitted but it tows really well, and we have somewhere to sleep Smiley Its also used to home and feed several refugees at race meets, or it gets really busy when it rains!! Grin

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:57:08 am by Adele AW » Logged

O/FF 621
Mike Lawless

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 18:05:42 pm »

This may not apply to you European guys, but here is mine. Close to 20 mpg and I tow close to 5000 miles a year. 2004 Dodge Dakota with a 3.7L V6. It's even been over the Rocky Mountains a few times from Central California.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 18:09:52 pm by Mike Lawless » Logged

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Mike Lawless

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 18:08:23 pm »

. Sorry Double post

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
gingabloke

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 17:37:31 pm »

My old pick up. Tows very nicely, your typical short geared cal-looker has trouble keeping up on the road! Cheesy

Sorry for crappy phone pic, will have to dig the camera out next time.

It's only a bodge if it fails...
ESH

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 20:06:47 pm »

Cool
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 21:41:52 pm »

My old pick up. Tows very nicely, your typical short geared cal-looker has trouble keeping up on the road! Cheesy

Sorry for crappy phone pic, will have to dig the camera out next time.

How do you fasten that on the bug, what about steering etc.
I know it's illegal overhere, but i would like to know how that towing device looks/works. Thanks !

"An Ill Eagle Is A Sick Bird"

Done ? Not Yet.
Ole

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 23:15:46 pm »

Here's mine:

It's only a 1600cc Type1 engine with dual Kadrons. Not very fast but it works better than expected. I'm working on a 2.2 Type4 engine right now, should be better then...

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
67worshipper

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 23:22:42 pm »

its dead reliable though ole Wink oh and your car doesnt weigh that much Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:56 am »

Ole, that setup is great. I love it.
I'll bet that's fun to ride around in, even if it is slow...

I got an old rusty Ford Explorer with open trailer.
Not much really, but reliable.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
vwcab

peter

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 22:08:29 pm »

Here's mine:

It's only a 1600cc Type1 engine with dual Kadrons. Not very fast but it works better than expected. I'm working on a 2.2 Type4 engine right now, should be better then...
Very nice combo Ole,like it very much.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
ESH

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:19 am »

... How do you fasten that on the bug, what about steering etc.
I know it's illegal overhere, but i would like to know how that towing device looks/works ...

It attaches to the beam, they tow fine but you can't reverse with it. Some people get easily confused though, I remember one guy loading a ferry having a go at a Bug only to find out there was no one in it.

Smiley
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:38 am »

Motor home for racing, general towing i use a To#¤ta Landcruser. had a grand cherikee jeep once but it was rubbish, soon went back to a To#¤ta. hill's are never a problem!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
alex d

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »

I thought you were supposed to put rear engined cars backwards on a trailer  Huh
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »

I thought you were supposed to put rear engined cars backwards on a trailer  Huh

No, just wherever the balance is right.

I had a widened caravan chassis as my trailer, and when I used a nose weight guage to find out how much weight was on the tow ball, I found that my car had to go on forwards, with the header flange level with the back of the trailer. I borrowed the gauge from a friend of my Dad, who had it for his caravan.

Back on topic, I towed the race car with my 1970 Bay (2 litre T25 motor), 1981 T25 (same engine) and my Dad towed with his 1995 Audi A6 (2.5 turbo diesel). I've got a 1991 Passat 1.8 now and have towed my caravan with it, although it's not that quick off the mark with something on the back...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:33 pm »

Depends where the wheels of the trailer are. If you look at the American trailers their wheels are a ways back on the trailer (increasing their nose weight).  European trailers have their wheels in the middle of the trailer so to lighten the nose weight. The American way is the best way but our European cars don’t like a lot of weight on the hitch.
Word of warning too little hitch weight and you’ll be wagging the trailer as soon as you get any speed up.  So that’s why you should put the car on backwards in Europe.
You’re supposed to put some scales under the jockey wheel and balance it out that way, I can never be arssed ,  you get a feel for it after a while.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Harry/FDK

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 20:04:48 pm »

... How do you fasten that on the bug, what about steering etc.
I know it's illegal overhere, but i would like to know how that towing device looks/works ...

It attaches to the beam, they tow fine but you can't reverse with it. Some people get easily confused though, I remember one guy loading a ferry having a go at a Bug only to find out there was no one in it.

Smiley

Thanks Mat, guess i have to go for the real (expensive) way then ...

Done ? Not Yet.
gingabloke

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 20:46:01 pm »

How do you fasten that on the bug, what about steering etc.
I know it's illegal overhere, but i would like to know how that towing device looks/works. Thanks !

Late reply, not much computer time at the mo'.

Pretty much as Mat says although reversing isn't impossible. It hooks under the front beam's lower tube and is retained by the locking pins.
The steering lock has to be released for towing, not that the Ragtop has one.

To add to that, the Ragtop has the towing electrics wired into the loom so that it uses the car's rear lights instead of a separate light board.

In an ideal world I'd use a trailer but they cost money and have to be stored somewhere etc... Smiley

It's only a bodge if it fails...
Harry/FDK

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 22:52:02 pm »

Thanks G.

Done ? Not Yet.
Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 09:44:29 am »

Problem with an A-frame is that they're not legal for use on a motorway, other than for recovery of a broken down vehicle. You can use them on A-roads perfectly legally, just not on motorways. All this is dependant on the car being towed being totally road legal (MOT, tax, insurance) AND within the specified weight of the tow vehicle as it becomes an unbraked trailer. Seems mad, the car has to be road legal, then gets classified as a trailer...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Mirko DVKK

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 04:20:07 am »

Hi everyone, (first post) Grin 

The DVKK is really about Astro/Safari vans... Cheesy

My setup,
Airspeed

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 21:57:36 pm »

Nice simple flat trailer! Did you build it yourself?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Harry/FDK

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 23:12:26 pm »

Very nice and low, but brakes ? I couldn't get away with it over here.

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 23:18:12 pm »

Problem with an A-frame is that they're not legal for use on a motorway, other than for recovery of a broken down vehicle. You can use them on A-roads perfectly legally, just not on motorways. All this is dependant on the car being towed being totally road legal (MOT, tax, insurance) AND within the specified weight of the tow vehicle as it becomes an unbraked trailer. Seems mad, the car has to be road legal, then gets classified as a trailer...

Same overhere Neil. My only options are either: one axle,  or (preferred) two braked axle. But these things are getting overhauled,
and overhauled again. Second-hand prices do not go lower then 1000 - 1200 EU for some "descent" ones.

Done ? Not Yet.
Mirko DVKK

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 05:09:28 am »

Nice simple flat trailer! Did you build it yourself?

Its Lanny Hussey's  trailer Embarrassed  Not sure if its a U-build or not... either way its a great trailer and Lanny is nice enough to let me use it when I need it.

Mirko
sven

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 11:40:55 am »

Mine, T5 double cab 195 HP ( 174hp + ABT reprogrammed), tested to 170 km/h and still drive straigt as an arrow.
Udo

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 14:16:06 pm »

If ever someone wants to buy a new car or a good used from 2006 on, this is the best you can get . T5 Multivan Beach , now called California Beach . It has all you need for spending the nights over the weekend and pulling your trailer . I hope it works many many years .
This was on the way to Norway 2007 ,

It can get toped by this one :-)  http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de/de/de/fahrzeuge/California/ausstattungsvarianten/california_beach_aufstelldach.html

Udo
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 18:40:06 pm by Udo » Logged

Harry/FDK

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 18:42:12 pm »

Very Nice Combo, Udo !

Done ? Not Yet.
jrice

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 17:12:40 pm »

truck trailer and car

Jeff Rice
Portland,OR
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: